Wiki Posts
Search

Replacing Thermo Insulator on a V-Spec .21 carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Replacing Thermo Insulator on a V-Spec .21 carb

Does any one know how to remove the thermo insulator from the bottom neck of the v-spec .21 carb? It seems to be epoxied on or something and I need to replace mine.

Thanks,
Michael Bunker
Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Tech Regular

when i put mine in the oven to replace the bearings it melted the insulator so i had to replace it anyway
Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

i usually just take a pair of plyers and crush it a little it will break apart then i use a scotch bright pad to get rid of all the left over epoxy
Old 07-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pitdog
when i put mine in the oven to replace the bearings it melted the insulator so i had to replace it anyway
Why didn't you remove the carb before putting it in the oven? Did baking the carb too damage anything else like the orings? When I replaced the rear bearing, I remove all the componets except the rear bearing and then baked it. But thanks for letting me know. I'll try a heat gun on the insulator first and it that doesn't work I'll bake the carb body and insulator to get it off.

~michael bunker

Last edited by mbunker; 07-14-2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

When i replaced my thermo insulator on my .12 TZ (had a crack in it) i took an exacto knife and scored the insuatora. Then i took pliers and gently took it off. You dont want to be too rough with the pliers because it can deform the aluminum. As for putting it back on, I used NORMAL JB weld, do not use JB quik because normal JB weld can hold up to alot higher temps.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
When i replaced my thermo insulator on my .12 TZ (had a crack in it) i took an exacto knife and scored the insuatora. Then i took pliers and gently took it off. You dont want to be too rough with the pliers because it can deform the aluminum. As for putting it back on, I used NORMAL JB weld, do not use JB quik because normal JB weld can hold up to alot higher temps.
That was going to be my next question. I used a heat gun to get it off because I didn't want to damage the carb like you said. Now I have the new insulator ready to install but the OS instruction paper just says epoxy. but doesn't mention what kind so I'm thinking anything that is high heat. Using the JB weld, what if you needed to replace the insulator again, would you be able to get it off?

Thanks,
~Michael
Old 07-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mbunker
Why didn't you remove the carb before putting it in the oven? Did baking the carb too damage anything else like the orings? When I replaced the rear bearing, I remove all the componets except the rear bearing and then baked it. But thanks for letting me know. I'll try a heat gun on the insulator first and it that doesn't work I'll bake the carb body and insulator to get it off.

~michael bunker
my mistake i ashumed i didnt have to mention the obviouse and once again ashuming we where on the same level,ashuming has made an idiot out of the both of us