R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Ninja .21 Bearings Front and Rear....

Hello all
How do I remove the piston and sleeve from the block of my engine???
I'am having a problem getting it out. Last week-end it stopped runnig and I was'nt able to get it restarted. And that was when I noticed that it was real difficult to turn over, Something is not right inside.
I have the motor compleatly disassembled at this point. And there dos'ent appear to be any damage to the sleeve or piston as I look at them thru the exhust, but I dont have much experiance with tearing down Engines.
Any help would be very apprecatiated.
Erik S.

Last edited by GTB_USER_Erik; 07-13-2007 at 12:36 PM.
GTB_USER_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Let me add that I can remove the sleeve. So how do I get the conrod removed from the crankshaft??
Old 07-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

push the sleave up and out, then you have room to tilt the con rod and piston back off the crank shaft, then push the piston through the top of the case and there you have it!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I tried that, so un-less I'am missing something It does not seem that simple. I dont want to damage the piston aganist the block side's.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Did you try rotating the crank to the bottom and then try getting it off? It should come off, unless excessive heat caused it to bind?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Tech Elite

also if your concerned about scratching your piston, put some paper towel down around the piston to protect it from scratching.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
Did you try rotating the crank to the bottom and then try getting it off? It should come off, unless excessive heat caused it to bind?
Cant do it that way there is a channel for the crank journal to travel thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
also if your concerned about scratching your piston, put some paper towel down around the piston to protect it from scratching.
I will try this, thanx xlgraphicspro
Old 07-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rushdude

Add some after run oil to where the con-rod is joined with the crank and try to wiggle it off.

Like what was said above, excessive heat could cause them to bind. This would leave you buying a new con-rod and/or a crank also.
rushdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
Tech Regular

If heat caused them to bind then you would not be able to turn the motor over because the rod rotates on the crank. to pull the rod off of the crank put a zip-tie around the rod and have it as close to the crank and give it a gentle pull, make sure it is at the top too or like said it wont come off. Also I am not sure if I just missed something or what but it sounds like your sleeve may still be in the case, if so you will never be able to remove the rod from the crank because there will not be enough play. so the rod will only come off it the sleeve is out and it is at the top.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

put 2 (on top each other) zip ties in exhaust port and then try to turn the flywheel, it will remove the sleeve.
dotmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If it's hard to turn over be SURE to check the status of your bearings. Do like they said and turn the crank to where the piston is DOWN and then remove the rod with a pair of needle nose pliers. Put fuel tubing on your pliers if you're scared of marring your rod but it HAS to come out or you'll never know what's wrong with your engine. If it takes breaking something to get it out at least you have a CHANCE of fixing it versus staring at a rod you aren't willing to pull loose.
HPI Savage. LRP zr30, FLM-XLCG, Hitec 7950th, BLS451, & piles of money
Horsepower is how fast you hit the object...Torque is how far it moves.
Wolverini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB_USER_Erik View Post
Let me add that I can remove the sleeve. So how do I get the conrod removed from the crankshaft??
Firstly, you have to clarify the above whether you "CAN" or "CAN'T"(CANNOT) remove the sleeve. Most people seemed confused here. If the sleeve is not removed, it is impossible to remove the piston with the con-rod.

Remove the sleeve using above stated zip-tie method & pull it out with your bare hand(NEVER use plier whatsoever !) once it's top protrude out of the crankcase top. There is a possibility it would be rather tight to be pulled out with your hand since you said it's difficult to turn over. If unfortunately that's the case, use 2 flat tip screw-drivers under the sleeve top outer flange opposed to each other, gently & slowly 'dig' it up with equal force on both drivers. 'Dig' from another position as the sleeve starts to move. You might want to use a cloth on those tips to prevent marring the sleeve surface.

Once the sleeve is out, turn the crankshaft to have the big end on the top position. You can't(cannot) remove the con-rod when it is at the bottom position as it would be sitting inside the con-rod clearance groove/oil sump there. Next just tilt the engine backward like you gonna pour out the crankshaft from behind. At this angle, hit the engine against your open palm on the backplate opening and the con-rod should move out of the big end. It's alright that the piston is knocking around inside there a little bit. Here you can tell the condition of your con-rod - If it pops out easily it's worn. And if it's in tip top condition, you'll have problem knocking it out. What you can do here is use a small L-shaped hex key go behind the rod near the big end bushing and gently 'dig' it out changing position every now and then. Once this side moves a bit, go to the opposite side & vice versa till it is completely out. Use a slight tilt back angle of the engine also, so that once the rod moves out it won't drop back again. Otherwise, you can dig until kingdom comes & it is still not out yet.
KK-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Everyone, I was able to remove the conrod/piston from the Crankshaft.
I would like to thank everyone who gave information on how to do this. The engine's ill is a bad Piston/Conrod Pin.
Thank you all.....
Old 07-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Does anyone know the size of the Rear Bearing, I can not find the size anywhere, and I asked at AMAIN Hobbies, Heather did not have the size available.....