R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Radio for lefties (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/171899-radio-lefties.html)

joeling 07-10-2007 07:37 PM

Radio for lefties

Hi,

Since I have not noticed any specific forum for radios, I'd thought I will ask my question here. I'm getting my kid to join his dad as a rc'er to get him away from too much TV & computer games. He's only 5 & is left handed.

I've given him a cheap futaba AM radio intended for a right handed person & he seems pretty ok with that. I'm just curious how he will do with a left handed radio.

Of course, we're not into competitive side of the the hobby but rather to bash around in the living room as a start & eventually move outdoors. He can control the Tamtech buggy I gave him around the small confines of the living room with some practise.

Does anyone have any idea what radio can be converted to left hand use that is relatively petite to suit his small hands ? I am using a 3PK myself & I know this can be converted. In fact, I have a spare one but with some small problems. Having said that, I feel that this radio is too big & bulky for his hands. Any other suggestions ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

o.s. power 07-10-2007 07:51 PM

nothing short of doing custom mods to a cheap radio will give you what you are asking.

The only radios that I have ever seen for lefties are high end, m11, 3pk, etc.

GHETTOTEACHER 07-10-2007 08:53 PM

Just about all the high end radios can be switched to the left. Nomadio, Futaba, Airtronics, Kopro and others. The best bet would be to find a used model of one of these radios. Cheaper and can be switched easily with support.

RC Pro 1 07-10-2007 09:14 PM

The Nomadio Sensor would be the lightest out of those choices but I'm not sure if the grip is any smaller than the others. Where are you at Joe maybe we can find someone in your area on the Nomadio Team and he could let your son hold it and see how it feels.

Aaron Waldron 07-10-2007 09:16 PM

To be honest, I don't really think it will matter. Ryan Cavalieri is right handed, but uses a left hand radio because that's what his dad was using while Ryan was growing up, so it's what he learned to drive with. Your son may not yet be old enough to be so left-hand dominant that steering with his right hand would feel awkward to him, and he may even prefer it because he will be using his stronger hand and arm to hold the radio up.

I can't think of any basic-level radios off the top of my head that can be converted to left-hand use. Airtronics used to sell a mid-price-range radio, called the CX2P, that was based off the Caliber series radios and could be flipped around. You may be able to find a used CX-2P, Airtronics 3PS, or M8 and all would be able to be flipped around. As well, the Futaba 3PJ could be flipped around, and some of the older Airtronics radios (the XL-2P and CS-2P). I don't know if Hitec, JR, or KO have any older models that could be converted over.

gearheadz80 07-10-2007 09:43 PM

I too am also left handed and have a 3PK. And I personally like to use the wheel with my right hand. I felt all retarded when I swaped it around, must have been because I just got used to it.........

joeling 07-10-2007 10:17 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for a bunch for your insights & suggestions. I think I will just let him try out the right hand radio for the time being. He's enjoying his Tamtech buggy for the time being.

Things have cetainly come a full circle for me. He also had a go with my 17 year old clodbuster which I told my parents that one day my kid will have a chance to play with. For the time being, the buggy is a better choice as it has a smaller footprint.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Aaron Waldron 07-10-2007 10:28 PM

Well, definitely wish you the best of luck! This is a great father and son hobby, I'm sure you'll have even more fun if your little one stays with it.

fhm555 07-10-2007 10:36 PM

I am also a lefty with 2 exceptions, rc and music. I wanted to learn bass guitar left handed, but my music teacher told me since I didn't know how to play anyway, it wouldn't matter which way I learned. I took the same approach to rc when I first started, I just got a regular radio and learned to use it.

I fish left handed and when my favorite reel got discontinued I figured I'd just make the switch to right handed fishing so I could use currently produced reels. That's when I learned practice does not make perfect, it simply makes permanent. I tried for quite a while to switch hands fishing and the end result was wasted time and frustration.

RC Pro 1 07-11-2007 12:53 AM

I think letting him learn right handed is probably the best idea as young as he is. I personally do everything right handed except drive an rc car. It just doesn't feel right with a right hand radio for me. Of course some people who have seen me drive think I could do better with my feet! LOL

motomanpat 07-11-2007 03:26 AM

I am right handed and I always have been more comfortable with the trigger on my right hand and the steering with my left.It is the only way for me and everybody asks if I am left handed but I am not.M11 for sure

RBMike 07-11-2007 11:27 AM

The M8 is a little bulky but I'm sure you could get a used one cheap if it is not too big for him. I have a used one in good condition if you are interested & since it's for the little guy I would give you a good deal on it (it's just collecting dust at my house).

KHoff7 07-11-2007 12:35 PM

if you want cheap lefty or righty radio look at radioshack xmods theyre 27mhz so they should work with 27 recivers and they use 27 crystals like real radios but is a much cheaper package than a m11 or 3pk

windellmc 07-13-2007 11:40 AM

I'm another lefty who uses a standard radio (right handed). I started racing slot cars and always held the throttle with my left hand so a right handed radio felt natural to me since I still had throttle control with my left hand. I think you need to be good with both hands to be fast.

mfishel 07-13-2007 01:05 PM

I'm a leftie also, and I use a right handed radio. Aaron made a good point about his dominant hand supporting the radio. Also it has occurred to me that my quick hand is controlling the throttle and brake which probably requires quicker reflexes than steering. When you're quick you really are controlling the car more with your 'foot' than with your hand. I say let him continue with what he's got.
Also I have found over the years that 'lefties' are actually in the majority in motorsports athletes. Maybe it's all that out-of-the-box thinking we do.