R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I'm a righty using an M8 setup for lefties. I can remember doing slot cars with my right hand doing throttle. Also, on almost every video game the right hand controls speed and the left hand controls direction.

I have always used high end airtronics gear because of the ability to reverse it.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Rosco

If you don't want to spend alot of money for a left and right hand compatible radio, you may want to look in the Buy/Sell forum here on RCtech.

I personally got a used Futaba 3PK thats is left/right compatible, and I paid $220 for it with a case, extra battery and reciever.

I think that if you can find a nice used radio, you wont spend much more on a lesser quality, new in box radio that he may outgrow.
Grande Prairie Electric Winter Cup 2007 2nd place 1/10th
GPMRA 2007 Outdoor 1/8 Buggy Champion
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default One Leftie's Experience....

I'm a lefty that's been using right handed stuff my whole life. I'm also a shooter, yet all my firearms are right handed (and left handed rifles and shotguns are available). Most lefties tend to be close to ambidextrous. I don't know if that's by 'design' or necessity. I use scissors with my right hand (when I was your son's age I got tired of waiting for the one pair of 'lefty scissors' in the classroom).

A right handed pistol type radio is no handycap for a lefty, especialy one that's starting out as early as your son. It's MUCH more important to find a radio that fits his small stature than one that's left handed. If he learns how to drive a 'right handed' radio now he'll be able to use any radio in the future without issues. Same will go for power tools, chainsaws, etc...

This'll help him develope the 'adapt and overcome' trait that will be an asset through life. No need to teach him that he 'needs' left hand specific stuff.

Just my opinion based on my experiences (and those of my lefty friends).
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:21 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

righty here, drive lefty. I learn that way and have always thought it made more sense to work the throttle with my right hand. If I used my left finger I would be an on-off switch..LOL I have only used Airtronics radios in the 16 years of racing. If you are only planning on bashing around and having fun then you really dont need a high end 300 dollar radio. I used the Airtronics XL2P for years, It's an AM radio, they also had a CS2P which was the FM version. then I used the 3ps and basically kept upgrading radios till the present. You could probably find a used one on ebay for really cheap, they are easy to flip to lefty as well. But really like guys above mentioned, It is all how you learn. My son is only 2 but is for sure is right handed, However I am going to teach him lefty so that I can drive his cars while helping him out.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wow... Glad to see that there are other people that are right handed and drive left handed I never could get used to driving with the wheel in my right hand ( I think alot of this has to do with my occupation as an automotive painter for the past 24 years, and using my right index finger on the trigger), so I used to reach across the radio with my left hand to steer and use my right hand for t/b... I have since been using Airtonics, first an M8, then M11, and have now moved onto a 3PK, which I have been really happy with. Unlike the M8/M11 that reverses the whole body, the 3PK steering wheel is the only thing that moves to the left side (Also the Nomadio Sensor does this as well), why the other manufacturers can't do this, I don't know... Maybe they don't feel there is enough lefties out there to justify it...
wlfgnggtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #21
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Lefty here as well after an accident when I was 4. Drive standard. It feels better to use my dominant hand for the throttle control and the righty for steering.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #22
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

I'm a lefty but I use my 3PK in the right-hand config. Feels alot better to me.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #23
Tech Adept

The last two posts tell me something. If your left handed, you drive with your radio setup so the steering wheel is in your right hand, which makes total sense to me, being that your left hand would be the dominant hand... So why is it that if your right handed, everybody drives with the wheel in the right hand?? That's what I have never figured out... Why is that the radio manufacturers decided that a right handed person should have the wheel in his right hand and not the left?? Being right handed myself, to me it just feels strange with the wheel in the right hand... If your right handed, which hand do use when holding a drill and pulling the trigger?? Myself, I use my right hand... When you shot a gun, and if your right handed, you pull the trigger with your right index finger
wlfgnggtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hmm,

A lot of thoughtful comments here. For now, I'm happy to report that my little one is doing well with a right handed radio. He can maneuver his tamtech around the house with reduced end points relatively well. He's starting to hijack my 3PK to drive my TLT-1.

Regards,
Joe Ling
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfgnggtr View Post
The last two posts tell me something. If your left handed, you drive with your radio setup so the steering wheel is in your right hand, which makes total sense to me, being that your left hand would be the dominant hand... So why is it that if your right handed, everybody drives with the wheel in the right hand?? That's what I have never figured out... Why is that the radio manufacturers decided that a right handed person should have the wheel in his right hand and not the left?? Being right handed myself, to me it just feels strange with the wheel in the right hand... If your right handed, which hand do use when holding a drill and pulling the trigger?? Myself, I use my right hand... When you shot a gun, and if your right handed, you pull the trigger with your right index finger

LOL I have thought that same thing for 16 years, well actually a little less than that whenever the first time I noticed i drove backwards compared to others. It felt 100% natural for me righty to drive lefty.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Jr radios can be converted to a lefty. I am personaly a lefty, and I use a m11 standard setup (right handed). Even when I was young and first into rc's I had an kyosho pulsar radio that I converted to a lefty but it felt awkward. My son which is also a lefty uses a hitech advenger radio(right handed). I am looking for a stick radio for him though. It seems that it is easer for him to drive a stick radio. good luck

Norris
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote