R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Best RTR Pick

Hi guys! I'm planning to get a nitro RTR as my first R/C. Which among the list below would you choose and why?

- Ho Bao (OFNA) Hyper ST
- Hong Nor (Jammin) X1CRT
- Tamiya TNX 5.2R
- Tamiya Nitrage

Also can you give some Pros and Cons of each if you may? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
jarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

hyper st or jammin x1crt....forget about the tamiya's....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992

id go with the hyper st
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Will disagree with Jason on the TNX. one of the better Monster trucks out there. Can't argue with it winning some major events either. With the changes that have been put in, one heck of a vehicle.

As for the Jammins, he has owned both I believe and would trust his word on that. Only complaints I have heard about the truggy is possible chassis flex.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

not saying that the TNX is a bad MT, but i feel you can get alot more bang for the buck....
Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Most of the vehicles he is looking at are truggies, so not sure if the TNX was in there by mistake.

For MT's, my fav still is the LST.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Tech Elite

ill stick to my cheap POS t maxx.....

however if its a truggy your looking for, and price isnt a real big deal...i would say the best rtr truggy on the market would have to be the Losi 8ight T then the Hoboa Hyper ST, but the Robotronics Mantis is worth a good look....
Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I will go about this in a logical way. What do you want out of it? Are you going to race or just run it? What's the parts support like in your area for any of them? Which one actually appeals to you more?

I personally drive a Jammin' but it may not be the right vehicle for everyone. For some people, a monster truck is a better fit because of what they will be doing.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
hyper st or jammin x1crt....forget about the tamiya's....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatoman1992 View Post
id go with the hyper st
Thanks for your responses guys! No to offend but sust wanna make it clear, that these are RTRs and not the PRO kits

I would also appreciate if you could mention why'd you pick those over the others. Thanks! I'll keep your suggestions noted.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Will disagree with Jason on the TNX. one of the better Monster trucks out there. Can't argue with it winning some major events either. With the changes that have been put in, one heck of a vehicle.

As for the Jammins, he has owned both I believe and would trust his word on that. Only complaints I have heard about the truggy is possible chassis flex.
I agree Cain. Before I thought that Tamiya had already lost the battle in the RC field since I don't get much any feedback or sales compared to Mugen, Kyosho, Losi, AE, OFNA and the like. However, I found out just that aside from the Superb Quality Taiwanese R/C (Ho Bao and Hong Nor of OFNA) are getting the American and European market, Tamiya on the other hand is more concentrating on their local market.

This is the reason why there aren't so much news overseas about them because the younger generation or R/C drivers aren't so much anymore aware of them since no kits or spare parts are sent to the other markets because of their focus on the Japanese market which is a success until now.

Another however, is that fortunately I'm currently in Asia. So Tamiya, Ho Bao and Hong Nor are no problems for me. That is why if you'd review my list, all are quality Asian made R/Cs

BUT, again guys, I would just like to stress that I am focused onm their RTR kits and not on the PRO kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Most of the vehicles he is looking at are truggies, so not sure if the TNX was in there by mistake.

For MT's, my fav still is the LST.
Hehe, I knew this will come out. I have no preferences right now. I'm not yet allowing the race thing to slip into my head, so no worries about which platform. On the other hand, if you would notice, the TNX is actually an MT by the Lexan body but the configuration is almost part-MT part-truggy if you would compare it to HPI Savages and Losi MTs But I think I know what you thinking, it would still be of different category when I finally decided to race. But then again, no issues for me on that so i think there wouldn't be any much problem for me
Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I will go about this in a logical way. What do you want out of it? Are you going to race or just run it? What's the parts support like in your area for any of them? Which one actually appeals to you more?
Good thing both are available at my LHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I personally drive a Jammin' but it may not be the right vehicle for everyone. For some people, a monster truck is a better fit because of what they will be doing.
Did you get the RTR? How would you rate it? If you got the PRO, what engine are you using?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
Tech Elite

well being your in an asian area....i would go with the Jammin X1CRT being its the most winningist truggy on the market, and because you have alot of hong nor support, but i guess the main fact is that there is so many upgrades you can go with when your ready to start upping....a fully upped crt (even an rtr) is a awsome machine, and beleave me i know i used to have one that started life as an rtr....at this moment im running a X1 buggy that started life as an rtr, but you would never know it by looking at or driving the buggy....there is my best expert pick, ok well maybe im not any expert, but im sure you get the picture....

Jason,

oh and when your ready for a new hi pro engine look into the Go Tech 7 port turbo, lots of bang for the buck at only a lil over $200 usd....good luck and have fun!!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the FTE Buggy. But I work in a hobby shop. That's what I ask people who come in. Obviously we're going to sell more vehicles if we have the parts for them so that's a big thing.
The terrain you run on is also something that play's a big factor. Rock pit's or hill climbing you'd typically want a MT. Everything else is a matter of what's you like the look of better.

And I am using the Jammin 21 in my FTE.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #14
Tech Regular

the thing I like about the jammin is that its a great kit and is very beginner friendly and handles really well. But most of the achievements of the CRT are the pro version. I did hear about the flex problem with the rtr but im not 100% sure on it.

With the Hobao RTR, its also a great car and it has proven itself as a capable truggy in RTR form.

Both companies are very experienced in off road and are both pretty good value for your money. For me these two would be my 2 choices. maybe parts support in your area can help you decide on which one to get. also keep in mind that the the tamiya tnx is a monster truck while the crt and st are truggies
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nickmind

I just got a Jammin' CRT less then a month ago and I am having so much fun with it. Its my first truggy. It is one of the better models I have now.

the my two penies.