R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default MBX5R as gift

First of all, I'm brand new to nitro racing. My wife just bought me a MBX5R as a gift. Didn't realize I needed so much "accessories" (pipe, starter box, batteries, charger, etc) to complete a nitro kit. A friend of mine says a roto engine would fit (thus eliminating the starter box and other things associated with it. Not to mention a roto is cheaper). I don't want to invest on an expensive bump start engine just yet. Can anyone recommend a roto start engine that will fit? Thanks. Tim
ilovemytacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Tim, a roto start won't fit because the engine mount needs to be higher, I don't know if anyone makes taller mounts for the mbx5r, since it is a race bred car.

There are many engines out there that won't break the bank.

NovaRossi N21BF 2000, OS VG, Axe Rossi Mamba, and Werks B3 pro are all $200 and more than enough power for a beginner and even seasoned drivers alike. These motors are all easy to tune due to their mild power bands and will last a good while if taken care of.

As for a pipe, the Jammin JP3 is a great pipe for the money

Starter boxes, well, only one comes to mind and that is the mugen box, yeah at $100 it's not cheap, but it will be the last one you will buy.

A roto start will give you more headaches than what you think.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to MADMAN23

i won't get a roto start even if it fit....
MADMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

I guess it isnt the engine that is the problem. it's the starter box. I had only recently gotten rid of my battery packs and charger, and really hate to have to buy it again. Really then, I wonder what my friend was talking about when he said a roto should fit. I wonder if it only fits on "lower end" cars.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to MADMAN23

i had a roto start on my ofna buggy ... it was on handy ... a starter box is so much better...
MADMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

So then, I need a bit of advice. What do I need to buy as far as the starter box goes? Box, ???, ???, ???, ???, etc. Tower has a coupon right now, so I might as well use it.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get this one:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD9&P=ML

or this one:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCUC2&P=ML

The first one comes with a battery ($20 locally) so it's not the best deal, but saves you of going and finding a 12v battery for it (which is easy) the battery is a 12V 7AH battery, VRLA or AGM style used in battery backups, alarm systems, etc.

You'll need a 12v charger...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL353&P=ML

This charger will work, you'd basically want to just plug it in and leave it over night before your going to use the starter box. But having a nitro car, you need a charger to charge your NIMH receiver pack; so if you need a charger you might want to find one that can do NIMH and Lead Acid.

Once you get your box, take some time and set the chassis up for the box before you install the engine; read this article..
http://rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=28&page=1

There are a lot of good inexpensive engines out there. Sportworks and OS both carry budget lines of engines that are more than enough engine.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

i bought this combo for my 1/10 scale truck but now im using it on my 1/8 it starts it up with no problem.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=DYN5610C

as for my engine for my buggy since it was my first .21 i went with a thunder tiger pro .21 i heard great reviews about the newer ones and ive just finished break in and it runs amazing so far. id look into this motor

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6579

good luck it will all be worth it i the end
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

For the money I would get the Sportworks .26 V2 @ $129 add a backplate $14. Get the Dynamite hard anodized .053 pipe and header combo @ $53. This will keep you right at $200 for the entire motor system. The Mugen is heavy and this motor will get you around just fine. It also has a lot of tuning options.

There is a cheap Ofna box that is less than $60 that we use at the shop. It has all the grunt you will need and we use it to start three cars every week of racing. Get some used 3300 packs off an old racer and you are set.

You will need a battery pack for your car and a charger. Get a cheapy! It will work fine if it will charge NiMh with different cell counts. To do it right, you need a charger that can charge at 4 amps and 1 amp.

This will get you the most for your dollar. You will not be any slower than the other guys on the track due to the .26. It is a great motor and will last you a good long time.

TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

If you dont' want to go through the hassle of buying everything, sell your unbuilt kit and buy a rtr car.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i say to only spend the money once, doent spend the money on some cheap engine and then need to spend the money all over again when your ready to move up...like o.s. power said you can get a great race spec engine for around $200, ofna 086 pipe or JP3 are always good pipes, i myself would go for the werks (best bank for buck nitro engine), and you dont need some overly expensive box like the mugen box....im using a AE start box and its never failed me no matter how much pinch a new motor has, lastly i would never use a 12V gel cell battery, if you need to get a charge for your RX pack then just get 2 3000mah sport packs, they will spin your box over faster and with more torque than a 12V gel, and you will NOT need 2 types of chargers, sport packs like the epic 3000 will only run you 18.99 each....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

RC Compound had the Mugen starter boxes on a blow-out for $75 so you may want to check there first. All it needs are some cheap stick packs. You can get them and a charger cheap used on these forums. For the motor like suggested above there are plenty of great mills out there well under $200. I've even seen some guys sell new in box motors that cost $225-250 for $150 shipped on the forums too.

Best of luck,

Tony P.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote