R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default What throttle servo ?

Hi guys,

Just wondering what throttle / brake servos people are running intheir 1/8 buggies ? I have been using Ace S2008 (an analog servo) but broke 3 in the last 6 months (note : I have 3 to 4 buggies). Any suggestions ?

I am running ACE DS1013/1015 in my buggies for steering with great results. So, I'm kind of confused why I'm breaking servos on my throttle.

Help is appreciated.

Regards,
Joe Ling
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

Use the ACE DS1013 or the Futaba S9451. The coreless 451 is a great servo that is easy on the pocket book and they last forever.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Mike.CL

I use in throttle and steering the ACE DS1313, in my jammin awesome power and good price.
Mike.CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i just installed a new hitech hs-6975hb and it works great, fast throttle time with lots of breaking power....here are the stats at 6.0V speed 0.10sec with 144.42oz.in of torque...

oh and make sure that your throttle servo isnt trying to over pull the carb linkage....if you hae a computer radio you can set the travel distance of the servo for both the carb and brake....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I like the futaba 9351 and the 9451.
prphze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to matts6887 Send a message via MSN to matts6887

Another good servo that is metal geared and seems to have plenty of torque is the hitec hs645mg. I run 2 of these, one on my steering, and one for the throttle/brake. And it seems to work very well for me. at least so far anyway. And they are also very inexpensive for a metal geared servo. i would say approx. 35-50 bux depending on where u look for them
matts6887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #7
Tech Master

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I just bought a hitec 645mg to try out.

Totally agree on not overloading the servo with poor adjustment of end points especially for the brakes.

Does anyone have any power consumption figures for digital servo vs analog servo in general? What about a high torque servo vs. a lesser servo ? Should this be a concern in a long main (e.g over 30 minutes) ?

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 07-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Joe,

Put on a very good throttle return spring if you plan on using that Hitec 645, you will need it when that servo dies on you and it will.

The Futaba 9451 is SO much better for only $30 more. It will outlast three, maybe four 645s and give you much better performance to boot.

The differences in power draw are small when you consider how much better a digital functions over an analog. Besides, you can always top off your Rx pack between heats like most people do and not worry about it. I easily finish a 30 minute main with power to spare using digital servos for steering and T/B, actually I can easily make an hour main using 1400mah Rx packs. (IB1400)
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
Tech Master

Hi AreCee,

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'm resigned to running the ACE DS 13kg servo for my throttle servo too. I have good luck with this servo in the steering department & it's cheaper or around the same price as the Futaba 9451. I'm getting mine for USD85 a pop from my lhs.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : I'm using a couple of rubber bands for a throttle return spring & they seem to work well.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
Use the ACE DS1013 or the Futaba S9451. The coreless 451 is a great servo that is easy on the pocket book and they last forever.
TEX
+1 on the futaba s9451, use them on all my gas cars for throttle. they are cheap for a digital high end servo. about 70.00 at my LHS.
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Arcee, I hate to disagree with ya on this one, but i do; mainly because ive been running the same hitec 645mg for my steering in my buggy for about 5 years now and have not had it even begin show signs of wearing out anytime soon. They do last a pretty good little while unless u do get a factory defect, then well who knows how long it will last. Just my .02 here from my experiences with this servo.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Arcee, I hate to disagree with ya on this one, but i do; mainly because ive been running the same hitec 645mg for my steering in my buggy for about 5 years now and have not had it even begin show signs of wearing out anytime soon. They do last a pretty good little while unless u do get a factory defect, then well who knows how long it will last. Just my .02 here from my experiences with this servo.
Congratulations at being one of the very few people to be lucky enough to get a good 645. I'll send you two that I got back from Hitec, supposedly fixed but the surface mounted transitors fell off the the circuit board in each. At least Hitec is nice enough to send a replacement for free but they still had to send a replacement. I will go with a Futaba or Airtronics any day over a Hitec. (BTW, I had to send in one of their digital 5925 for repair, they charged to repair that one. I bought this when I didn't know any better, now I know not to trust those servos.)

Also considering that the new Hitec servos cost more than or the same as a Futaba it makes it very easy to pick Futaba.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Congratulations at being one of the very few people to be lucky enough to get a good 645. I'll send you two that I got back from Hitec, supposedly fixed but the surface mounted transitors fell off the the circuit board in each. At least Hitec is nice enough to send a replacement for free but they still had to send a replacement. I will go with a Futaba or Airtronics any day over a Hitec. (BTW, I had to send in one of their digital 5925 for repair, they charged to repair that one. I bought this when I didn't know any better, now I know not to trust those servos.)

Also considering that the new Hitec servos cost more than or the same as a Futaba it makes it very easy to pick Futaba.
Well even with this aspect in mind; u probably just got factory defects, which; bearing in mind can happen with ANY servo AT ANY TIME; whether it be the motor or something else that controls it, the point is it can happen at anytime because after all, these are made in a factory on a line where they are all just "thrown" together not by hand carefully like it could be, but by machines....yet just another example is all...just bear this in mind...also not just that. but its also the fact that hitec wont question ya for getting a replacement item like companies such as JR do.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Well even with this aspect in mind; u probably just got factory defects, which; bearing in mind can happen with ANY servo AT ANY TIME; whether it be the motor or something else that controls it, the point is it can happen at anytime because after all, these are made in a factory on a line where they are all just "thrown" together not by hand carefully like it could be, but by machines....yet just another example is all...just bear this in mind...also not just that. but its also the fact that hitec wont question ya for getting a replacement item like companies such as JR do.
Oh well, some people suffer from brand loyalty blindness.

Yes they replaced the "defective" servo with two other "defective" servos. Imagine the probability of that happening.

What good is their customer service when you are reatedly down waiting for a replacement to arrive. True, unlike JR, Hitec has good customer service. Unfortunately I haven't dealt with Futaba's customer service yet, hmmmm I have about 10 Futaba servos amassed over the past seven years and darn it, not one has needed to be sent in. They must all be "defective".
Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i was using a futaba S9402 for throttle/brake and had it go bad in less than 2 hours run time, so you can get bad apples from all the co.'s....for now i will stick by hitech there customer service is great...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote