R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to matts6887 Send a message via MSN to matts6887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
i was using a futaba S9402 for throttle/brake and had it go bad in less than 2 hours run time, so you can get bad apples from all the co.'s....for now i will stick by hitech there customer service is great...
I have to second ya on that Jason; because I just recently sent in a hitec sub micro servo for repair or replacement, told them what happened, and without even questioning me, they sent me a new replacement for it. Now, THAT is the type of customer service I dont mind dealing with.
matts6887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Rosco

I used a 645 for throttle on my buggy, and the performance was absolutely terrible. It was so slow, that I was unable to jump correctly, and it got me in trouble too much. Its just not meant for highspeed applications, like a throttle servo needs to be.

I bought a 5996TG last week, and ran it this weekend. Man, what a difference. It was super fast, smooth, brakes went on nice and firm and it was fast. Digital servos over analog anyday.
Grande Prairie Electric Winter Cup 2007 2nd place 1/10th
GPMRA 2007 Outdoor 1/8 Buggy Champion
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree that Hitec's customer service is excellent. The problem is that you end up using it too often. Perhaps Futaba or Airtronics CS isn't as good but their products are usually made well enough that you don't need to keep sending them in for repair.

I'm not talking about user error either. When the SMTs fall off the servo's circuit board on two of the same servos repaired by their excellent customer service then I think there may be a quality issue here.

Just recently I had a 5925 and a 225MG fail, I sent the 5925 in for repair and was charged $40 which is fair since it was way out of warranty, so it will be a back up to my other back up servo for my TC car. The 225MG was in my micro RS4, it will stay dead because I put in a Futaba.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to matts6887 Send a message via MSN to matts6887

I guess maybe im just one of the lucky few, who, after 5 years of running a hitec servo have yet to have a problem with them. Unfortunately, with any electronics like these servos; its nearly impossible to tell what given servo is gonna be bad right outta the box. Like i said before and i will say it again, it can happen to ANY servo at ANY TIME. But as far as the overall reliability goes, well hitec may not have a edge in that department, but one of the main reasons Ive been using them over other brand(s) is because a decent metal geared servo from hitec can go for as little as 35-50 bux depending on where u look for it, whereas the other brands are that much more expensive; although usually u get what u pay for, so the more expensive ones are probably worth it in the end.
matts6887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

I don't have the model number in front of me, but I switched from Airtronics to KO Propo digitals for throttle/brake duty. I did that because the servo horn is very easy to pull when there's no power to the servo, therefore needing a lighter return spring, therefore using less battery.

Something to keep in mind on throttle servos: You don't need a lot of strength or torque! You can buy cheaper and/or faster servos without the need for stump pulling power. It doesn't take much strength to pull the carb linkage, and you really don't need much energy to apply brakes.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to MADMAN23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I just bought a hitec 645mg to try out.

Totally agree on not overloading the servo with poor adjustment of end points especially for the brakes.

Does anyone have any power consumption figures for digital servo vs analog servo in general? What about a high torque servo vs. a lesser servo ? Should this be a concern in a long main (e.g over 30 minutes) ?

Regards,
Joe Ling
the 645 is a good servo... im useing it in my hyper 7 for a steering servo...
MADMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

check out a hitech 6975 there really fast and loads of torque...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:43 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm consider a newbie in the RC scene, driving a 1/8th buggy and have airtronic 94359 on steering, 94358 on throttle...been hearing lots of analog vs digital comments, is it true that digital is way superior? I came to know that both my servos are analog based...i might plan to get myself a truggy in near future, and i have some veri good offer for the 94359 servos, not sure whether I should forget the 94359 and go for some other digital servos...

any comments?
cj.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Rosco

Well I ran dual 94358's in my buggy all last year and half of this year. I recently pooched my throttle servo, so I put in a 645 for a weekend and it was absolutely horrible.

As soon as I put in a digital Hitec 5996 TG servo for my throttle, I had awesome throttle response and my driving definately made an improvement.

Its easy to tell the difference for me between digital and analog. Im running a Spektrum PRO Series module and receiver, which is quite a bit faster than most radio systems. So coupled togther, yea.. digital is superior.

Im not worried so much about getting digital for steering, as buggy's are so sensitive to imputs its almost nice to tone it down with a slower servo.

To put stats into it, Airtronics says the 94358 I own for steering claim .10 response @ 200oz. Its fast and reliable, and never thought much of it.

Hitec's 5996TG claims the same response at .10, but 139oz of torque.

The Hitec is so much faster its crazy. The reponse and rotation speed are way above and beyond the 94358.

Just my experience thus far.
Grande Prairie Electric Winter Cup 2007 2nd place 1/10th
GPMRA 2007 Outdoor 1/8 Buggy Champion
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i just went from a analog JR Z590 to a digi Hitech HS6975 and the speed and response time is so much better....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Send a message via AIM to j_griffis90

u could get the futaba 9402. its got 111 oz. of torque at .11 sec. its not that expensive either. like 75 bucks depending on where u look. i got 1 in my 1/8 buggy for the throttle and it works really well.
j_griffis90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

I say just to look for a good coreless servo with at least 110 ounces of torque and metal gears. Digital vs Analog. Each version has its good and bad points. A digital servo will draw more amps than a analog especially when it comes to centering. The digital will fight to keep center alot harder than the analog burning quite a bit more energy. Plus, the digital servo also has its full torque available anywhere in the servo throw unlike analog which has less torque around center and on short throws. The analog will be more forgiving on bad linkage setups and tend to draw less power. The digital will require a slightly larger battery to have the same runtimes.

I also want to say that I have been running Hitec servos for a long time and own at least 30 of them and never had any problems with them. 1/8 scale buggies and truggies just punish servos and it is only a matter of time till they go out no matter the brand.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_griffis90 View Post
u could get the futaba 9402. its got 111 oz. of torque at .11 sec. its not that expensive either. like 75 bucks depending on where u look. i got 1 in my 1/8 buggy for the throttle and it works really well.
I use a 9402 in my 8ight for throttle and haven't had any problems either.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_griffis90 View Post
But for $75 you can get the Futaba 9451 digital. It rocks. I use a 9402 in my XXX-NT for steering and it's fine there (also about 8 years old).
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Futaba's I have purchased have been killer for me. I used to run Hitec but have been experiencing the same thing that AreCee has been lately. I sent a servo in (a 5925). I got a 965 back and it cost me $40. So not even the same type of servo. When I plugged it in, it didn't work. Straight into the garbage. I just bought a CRT.5 so I bought the 225mg's for throttle/brake. Plugged them in, nothing. Put them on a servo tester at the LHS that I work at, nothing. They go back, bought the Futaba 9650's. Snapped the gears in the one for steering because of my setup. Ended up putting a JR 3650 into and I am loving it.

I used to run Hitec because they used to have basically the same quality as most everyone else but they were cheaper. Now I can't get away with putting power to them.

As for what I use, right now I have an Ace 1015 in throttle on my 1/8. As a back up for that (which at this rate I might never need) is a JR 9000S. I already have the 9000T in my steering. I think it's overkill. I will be going to the Futaba 9350/9351's here soon though. Move that Monster steering servo into a newly aqquired Revo to play around with it.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote