R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to V for Victory
Default Mugen MBX 5 to MBX5-R

I recently just bought an old MBX5 (not the prospec), just the regular version, at my LHS because i needed a buggy quick. Can someone please tell me the list of parts which are different so that i can have something to do. If I where to do this conversion what part would i start with, and no buying a new MBX5-R is not an option.... THANKS EVERYONE!
Cheers
V for Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Check the "R" thread, there's a list from tonysscrews.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V for Victory View Post
I recently just bought an old MBX5 (not the prospec), just the regular version, at my LHS because i needed a buggy quick. Can someone please tell me the list of parts which are different so that i can have something to do. If I where to do this conversion what part would i start with, and no buying a new MBX5-R is not an option.... THANKS EVERYONE!
Cheers

My dad got a chance to talk to Kris Moore! he said that one of the few differences between the MBX5R and the mbx5 is the parts for the 5R have more webbing. I would start with the front a-arms! Just my .o2 cents
Old 06-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

A MAin Hobbies sells the conv. kit for like 200.00 or something.
it takes the prospec to the R. Don't know the difference between the non prospec and the prospec?

If you want a back up I have a prospec for sale in the forum also.
super claen and all the king headz parts.
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Check out www.carolinasrc.com. They have a conversion for ~$200 that has every meaningful change from the MBX5 to the "R". The Stock MBX5 runs great but it steers much better with the R's knuckles. I would recomend running the car the way it is (add the knuckles) until the shocks wear out (the bodies wear out fast, like 1 season or so) and then do the conversion.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you still will need to dremmel the mbx5 chassis to get the droop. pick up an r then a regular one and the r will look like a big daddy long legs big difference between the cars on a blown out track
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jabroni racing

Why spend the money to upgrade it rite away ?? I bought a original mbx5, cause I love the car and it handles awesome out of the box, Ive beat guys with 5R's, remember its the driver as long as you have a competitive kit..
jabroni racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trust me the R is a big improvement. If you drive one after driving the regular one you will absolutly feel the difference especialy on a rough track. Too the O.P. get the coversion kit, that is the best way.
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni racing View Post
Why spend the money to upgrade it rite away ?? I bought a original mbx5, cause I love the car and it handles awesome out of the box, Ive beat guys with 5R's, remember its the driver as long as you have a competitive kit..
i have both cars you go from a prospec to an r you will drive differently because now you can go over the rough stuff fast then switch back the prospec you will be flipping over. i thought i would be using the prospec as a back up car but now im just going to sell it
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I drove them both back to back this weekend. The R is better, but the standard is not far off. It (the MBX5) is by no means obsolete. all of the new parts add up to a nice difference but the biggest difference is really the added steering throw. The original X5 was always a great rough track car.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just got an R and raced it last weekend...AWESOME...switched from xray which i loved but, Mugen all the way...easy to drive, jumps good, only change was long springs & 48 tooth spur...
dmb454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to V for Victory

Yea i have always been an ofna/jammin guy until i bought my MRX4-R. Then i went Mugen al the way. All my cars are mugens now I havent gotten the chance to really see how this buggy drives yet. I drove it once on a very muddy blown out track. I needed a buggy fast because i take my trip to thailand every year and needed 1 so i could race the FEMCA race but for the future i would like to slowly upgrade to the R.
V for Victory is offline   Reply With Quote