R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Upgrade Futaba from 3PM to 3PK?

My roomate recently got the 3PK with the FASST 2.4 module and I love it. Main improvements for me are the backlit screen and the timer/vibrate function. Is it worth it for me to upgrade from the 3PM FASST to the 3PK with FASST?
All controlled by 3PK/FASST
magbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

It depends. Is the 3pk more comfortable? Does it have features that you need that your other radio doesnt have? Do you just want it? Its a hobby, buy what you want. Personally I would be fine with my old Spektrum radio as I dont like to use any advanced features, but I bought an M11, used it for a year, then tried out my friends 3pks and it felt a little more comfortable, so I bought a 3pks and sold the M11, but now I may move back to the M11 because some stuff on the 3pks makes me unhappy (failsafe blows as it loses the setup once the RX pack is turned off). I use the FASST module and RX. Mainly I like to try new toys.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
failsafe blows as it loses the setup once the RX pack is turned off
I could be wrong but I don't think this happens in HRS mode - only PPM.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think this happens in HRS mode - only PPM.
Failsafe is only operable in PCM and HRS modes from the 3PK.

My 3PK's failsafe works flawlessly every time (I always do a test before a race). However, since most of my vehicles now use Spektrum the failsafe is set up at the Rx during binding and the Tx is in PPM mode (no Tx failsafe).
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Failsafe is only operable in PCM and HRS modes from the 3PK.
He said he was using FASST - which operates in either HRS or PPM. Failsafe with FASST works in both those modes, but in HRS doesn't need to be reset each time you turn on the radio.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I checked out the 3PK before I bought my 3PM and I didnít like the balance of the unit in my hand. So I bought the 3PM. The only problem I am having with the 3PM is the wheel doesnít seem to spring back to center. I assume there is a setting for that and I just need to adjust it. I just havenít had a chance to look.
TGA78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Check that your steering wheel bearing is clean. If you run offroad, dust gets in there and it will not center as well over time.

Correct, with the FASST you can use failsafe in PPM or HRS mode, but I do not have digital servos yet (all Airtronics 358s). In PPM mode you have to set the failsafe every time that the receiver loses power which blows big time. Futaba dropped the ball on that one. If in fact HRS mode doesnt have to be reset every time, I will sell all my servos and go digital. Friggen lame if you tell me (failsafe, not the digital servos)

Also what bugs me is why have the 3 buttons for each trim?! Its like 2 engineers/ designers couldnt agree. One reason why I prefer my old M11..... I will try to adjust trim on the fly while racing and hit the button and slider trim....oh it ticks me off.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hi forum i am getting the 3pk soon and i am confused about the failsafe info
i Think i will have to run it in either pcm or ppm mode because i have a digital jr9000t steering and a traxxas stock 2055 throttle brake servo.
Will i have a problem with this servo configuration?
DonnieNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Tech Champion

I'm confused also. I'm intrested in the 3PKS or whatever it's called. But all these different modes is mind blowing. HRS, PCM, PPM. What does all this stand for? Is it on the website? What is the diff between each one? I have nitro 8th scales with digital servos, but electric 10th scale with blue bird servos (pretty sure my BB are analog). What modes does the radio need to be in for the digital and analog?
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

With the 3PK you can run it in Pcm mode for any servo whether it be analog or digital. If you want to use the Hrs mode, the servo's do need to be digital. When changing models, the 3PK can be setup to use Hrs on model one. Pcm on model two... It's pretty cool really that it has all the options that it has. It can be confusing, but it is a nice radio...
I will agree that the fail safe is lame Why Futaba did that, I wish I new...
I did just switch from a M11/Spektrum pro system... There are things I miss about the M11, but I do like the feel of the 3PK... I am also impressed with the Fasst system, mine will bind in a second when powering up the radio and receiver... My M11/Spektrum would take a good 5 seconds... I am also impressed with the range, and the diversity antenna in the receiver. I have one corner on the track, that whenever I go off of it, I would lose signal with the Spektrum, today I went off the same corner with the Fasst, no signal loose
The way I see it, all of the top end radios are very good, it all comes down to user preference...
wlfgnggtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Thanx a lot for the info. One more question. Can the 3PK use the FAAST modules? I believe the 3PKS can but how about the one that is a little bit older?
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:01 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGA78 View Post
I checked out the 3PK before I bought my 3PM and I didnít like the balance of the unit in my hand. So I bought the 3PM. The only problem I am having with the 3PM is the wheel doesnít seem to spring back to center. I assume there is a setting for that and I just need to adjust it. I just havenít had a chance to look.
There is a small screw under the wheel on an angle. Tighten it to increase the tension on the steering wheel spring, hence making it centre better.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

yes the 3pk can use the fasst module. they (3pk and 3pks) are basically the same radio with a different button design and menu changes.

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
FullThrottle Raceway Webmaster
KForce is offline   Reply With Quote