Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Li Poly humpacks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Li Poly humpacks?

Does anyone know if there is a way to use Li Poly batteries for a humpack? I was doing some reading on this new type of battery and it has got me interested. I'm not sure if I like the fact that they are so tempermental with the charging, however, I was wondering if anyone has used them for nitro.

Maybe Ni Mh is still the way to go?

Regards
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I dont think you can use lipo batts as a hump pack, but I do know that you can use them as receiver or transmitter batteries. I take it you want it to be used as a receiver battery. In this case, get a 2 cell lipo and a voltage regulator. Actually, lipos are less of a pain than nicd or nimh. The only don't is DO NOT let the voltage go below 3 volts per cell. Other than that, the charger setup is very easy as long as you have a lipo capable charger and it does the rest. It doesn't matter when you pull the battery off, or at what capacity is left that you charge again. There is no ill memory effect, and lipos should be able to sustain 300 or more charges.

However, I do recommend a battery with a balancer tap on it, and using the appropriate balancer to keep the two or more cells "balanced", or the same voltage.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You sure can use a Li-po for a receiver pack. Here's one that will fit just about ANY nitro car receiver box:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13161

You will want to use a regulator to bring the 7.4 (average) voltage of the li-po down to a servo-safe 6 volts.

Here's a few to choose from:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_61_199

Within these regulators you will find one or more that has built in voltage cut-off so that you don't go below the recommended 3 volts.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes, that is what I mean, I use the term hump pack out of habit . So, if I can't let them drop below 3v per cell, would I still get double the runtime of N cadmium as they quote? It seems that they would be more of a pain, but you say that they are actually less of a pain. Could you explain it to me please. Do you use them, if so, could you let me know what setup your using. I really appreciate your help .
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Rookie

eziduzit, I just refreshed and saw your post, thanks, I am looking at your links right now.