Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To save or not to save (Air filters)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default To save or not to save (Air filters)

Ive heard the discussions before, and its almost always been 50/50 with my racing buddys but I want more input.

To save a dirty air filter, or to just toss it?

If you do save it, how do you guys wash it?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As long as it's washed properly, I don't see any problem with cleaning filters. I usually wash mine in petrol, trying to move the petrol from the inside out. Then wash it in warm, soapy water to remove as much of the petrol residue as possible. Let it dry then oil and reinstall.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

I dont see a problem with saving and re-using air filters; as long as they arent too dirty to the point that if u try and rinse them out, a majority of the dirt still stays in them. If that happens, then will it obviously only makes sense to toss it and just oil a new one put it on. IF by some chance I am going to save mine, I just thoroughly rinse it in soap and water so that hopefully all of the previous use's filter oil and dirt is rinsed out of it, then re-oil it and put it back in place. Just my .02 is all
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wash and re-use mine but after a certain point they get stained and I replace them. I put a fresh one on after every qualifier.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Washing and re-oiling air filters works in motocross bikes, why wouldn't it in R/C?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some guys clean dirty air filters with motor spray or cheap brake parts cleaner. The absolute best product to use is GUMOUT BRAKE PARTS CLEANER. It is awsome, the only thing I have found that cleans and removes stains. It does stink a little more than most motor sprays but it works best. You can reuse those expensive filters for a long time.....
Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

just dump a little nitro fuel on them. they will swell up and then come right back to original size. the fuel makes the foam expand cleaning the dirt out and then tightens it back up when it contracts.

i use belray air filter oil, it protects 50,000.00 mx bikes, so i am sure it will do the job for my 500.00 engine.

i have 2 filters one for quals one for mains. and i cleaned them several times like 20-30 times before pitching them.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ive washed mine in the past with no issues. But lately I have been using Power Saver filters along with Vet Wrap. You can get the VW at any good pet store. I wrap the foam twice around with the VW and ignore it for the day.Now I feel no need to clean during a race day. At the end of the day I toss the whole thing. I figure a pack (6) will last that many weeks worth of racing...good enough for me.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will wash my filters 2-3 times, and then they get replaced with a new one. After 2-3 washes, I notice the foam(s) starts soften up. (Break down) At that point I won't risk my motor for the saving of a couple dollars....
Old 06-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

try this out you guys.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=32104

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=32105
Old 06-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dan Reino
Some guys clean dirty air filters with motor spray or cheap brake parts cleaner. The absolute best product to use is GUMOUT BRAKE PARTS CLEANER. It is awsome, the only thing I have found that cleans and removes stains. It does stink a little more than most motor sprays but it works best. You can reuse those expensive filters for a long time.....
there is solvents in that spray and alot of other sprays out there. that will in time eat the foam in your filter. as well as plastcis and others things if you use it for other cleaning purposes. the best cleaner that is also 100% safe for materials and elctronics and their circut boards is starting fluid. i use at least 12 cans a week in all my cars from nitro to my electric cars. and my filters.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

That's pretty much what I have been doing lately, only with different products. I should have mentioned greasing the top/bottom of the foam in my first post.

I never tried starting fluid on foams, but I have used it for cleaning diffs and such. You can find it for under $2 a can if you look around. Far better than buying nitro sprays
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The best thing I have found if PJ1 foam filter cleaner and filter oil. Go to your local motorcycle shop, should be able to get it anywhere. The cleaner comes in a big spray can and will last a long time when being used for R/C filters, I'm on the same can for over a year now. A can of PJ1 filter oil is almost a lifetime supply if your only using it for R/C I soak the filter in the cleaner spray and rinse in hot water, repeat if needed. The spray oil, I just spray into a plastic cup, let it warm up to room temp and then suck it into a small plastic squeeze bottle I had from something else (fits much better in the pit box that way, ) When I reoil the filter, I put it in a plastic sandwich bag and work the oil all the way into the filter evenly and then put it on the car. The PJ1 filter oil is SUPER tacky and the best stuff I have found. I run it in my dirt bikes too.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i use dish soap and hot water works great filter come out nice and clean, then i just reoil....i do not use normal filter oil, i use afterrun oil on my air filters....
Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

With three mx bikes and three filters a piece its fun to clean and oil the little rc filters. I like to use the water soluable filter oil and cleaner like "No Toil" since I don't really care for the aerasol cleaners(stinky). I haven't tried this stuff yet but it sounds easy:

http://tkocompetitiondev.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=253

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.