R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default buggy ideas

hey guys, i am currently in the market for a new buggy. i am trying to decide on what i want. i am thinking on getting a X1-CR, the 8ight, or the MBX-5R. i used to have a MBX-5, but i felt like i couldnt really push it in the corners. i am the type of racer who likes to be on power in the turns. i am looking to getting a car that i can really push, and stay consistent with. which one of these do you think would be the one?
if any of you are local, do you think you would be willing to let me drive one of your spare cars? ill pay for broken parts, if any, and ill give you some extra money.

thanks for any help
heffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Love my Losi 8. Ran jammin last year, it doesn't compare........

Losi 8= quality parts availability durability, and driveageability its a gooder
Dan Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Tech Elite

1/8 Racing Buggy Reccomendations

There's a good thread to continue, instead of creating a new one. This question gets asked at least once a week, haha.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

the 8 is a great car but not one to be pushed on power. it likes to be driven smooth.

the ocm is a trigger car the harder you pull the faster it goes. also the mbx5r seems to be the same way.

kyle

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
FullThrottle Raceway Webmaster
KForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

+1 on Kyle's post
While I havn't driven the Losi or the Mugen, I have read the same thoughts of both of them. As for the OCM, I am driving one and it is just as Kyle said.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

You should check out what's going over here at the XRay camp with the new EC. New shocks, new chassis layout, new geometry...

Everybody that's switched from their favorite car from last year, has loved it thus far!
rmargiotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think some offroad guys don't know how to drive is the problem you are used to backyard bashing and you've lost throttle control.

ask a motocross rider, or baja driver and ask if they pin the throttle out of every corner.

Smooth is fast not driving with an On/Off switch.

I get tired of hearing the losi isn't able to be pushed.
Yes you can get into trouble with it if you push too hard same can be said for any car. What people need to say is the truth the Losi turns more therefore you DON'T have to drive it harder to be fast not that you can't.
The other cars HAVE to be pushed harder because they push and don't turn as well.

and as for the harder you pull the trigger the faster it goes yes thats true on all cars till you get to the next corner.

I'm not sponsored in offroad at all so no I'm not plugging losi... just tired of incorrect info...
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

You will be able to run laps times that you have never been able to do before with a Losi...... doing it every lap will be the hard part!!
I run Jammin and I love it!...... but all the above are great cars!
SCUBA STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i just recently got me a xxx-nt to elp me with the throttle control problem, but even then with the xx-nt, i still like to drive through the corners on power.
heffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Tech Regular

coming from motocross riding 250a class i can tell you that yes i pinned it everywhere. the difference is you use clutch to adjust your wheel spin and power put down. throttle is wide open everywhere or your getting passed.

thanks k

kyle

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

Heffer - The Mugen can be driven hard in the corner but it is more of a toss it in the corner and pull it back out the other side vs the Kyosho/Jammin that you kind of work through the corner. The Kyosho will probably make you more tired in a long main than the Jammin or Mugen but it may be a little faster if you can keep a handle on it. The new Mugen does have more mid corner steering than the older MBX5 so that should make you happier. The other side of things is that the resale value on the Jammin is not so good. The Kyosho is better but when the new car comes out, the old car will not be worth much. The Mugen is new this year, and the way Mugen operates I would estimate 1-2 years from now before they have anything different.

The Losi is probably not the car for you based on what you are saying and what others have told me they want from a car have experienced with the Losi. It seems that if you misjudge your corner entry speed with it you are kind of in trouble because the car is pretty stable on power. I don't think it is a throttle control issue. A lot of rc'ers overshoot corners going in. They typically use other cars as berms.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
Tech Master

I can't wait to read a review on the OCM in some rc magazine so we can all regurgitate that as well like its written in stone.

I bet it says looks like a mugen, drives like a mugen, but more sophisticated and likes to be pushed hard to go fast...
Lets just hope it doesn't say that it handles poorly in the rough or rhythm sections or its acceleration is poor. Then every other company will boost its sales by having their 50% (75 or whatever) posting that their car is the best and the OCM is only good on smooth high bite tracks in a straight line. LOL

I've seen several sponosored OCM drivers in our area some cars looked good others didn't. Doesn't mean the car is good or bad just means that regardless of the car you still have to drive and you still have to setup the car. Same with all the cars mentioned.

I don't care what you drive but going on threads and talking about how great brand X is and you obviously run for them is kinda funny. And then act like you aren't biased you just know more than anyone else and talk down other cars... It makes you look bad and the company as well...

You know what they call an onroad car that is easy to drive? SLOW

I'm an offroad rookie I guess...
Hey did I tell you my Losi was clocked at 35MPH down the backstretch of our local track??? guess what an OCM and Cen only got up to 33MPH
Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
Tech Regular

lol you are taking me out of context. read my post. i said the 8 is a good car. if fact its what i drove before my ocm so i am speaking from experience. i also stated that the mugen is around the same as the ocm. no negatives were spoken about any other cars what so over. and i didn't say buy an ocm i simply said if he likes to pull the trigger then the ocm would probably suit him. please READ post before you slander me. and of course i would recommend the car...you think dale jr recommends you drink miller light beer? you didn't slam aaron for saying losi but he must be lying since he drives for them....

thanks

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
Old 06-21-2007, 06:14 AM   #14
Tech Master

First off I give everyone a hard time its my job LOL

I've raced with Alan and Aaron Bigger they are both fast and both run OCM's.

I have nothing against the buggy at all. I've been beaten by them a couple of times.

I'm not talking about one manufacturer I'm talking about all the team guys that go on and post on threads that their brand car is the best which is fine, but talk up your car don't talk down another brand to make yours look better is all I'm saying.

As far as reading before you post... reread Aaron's post above did he really say Losi??? nope he gave a link to a similar thread... who can't read now

and its not usually a problem of reading its comprehension that most people struggle with.

So what you should've posted was... The OCM car is a great car for what you are looking for. Its a car that likes to be pushed hard.

See now that's a good post
Old 06-21-2007, 07:07 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.rc-car.com/ME2/dirmod.asp...C42CA09BC6D9AD
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote