R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

Tempest your comments about how a car should feel like a race car are probably very true in onroad. In offroad things are a little different. Probably the greatest 1/8 buggy ever built is the original Kyosho MP-7.5. It often (always?) felt dead on the track and although it had quite a few setup options, few had any effect on the way the car felt. However it was always fast for just about everyone who ever drove one. You could have one diff dry and a blown out shock and still be competitive.

The Jammin is the closest thing you can buy today to that car. Unfortunately as stated above the Jammin tends to wear out quicker than the Kyosho. I hear the new Associated car borrowed heavily from the 7.5. We'll see when it comes out.

You may ask why Kyosho ever replaced the 7.5? One weak point was the 3.0mm shock shafts. Kyosho changed to 3.5mm shafts on the Kanai2/3 cars but did not change the rest of the shock. This was a downgrade on drivability although a pretty significant shock shaft durability upgrade. The 777 eventually replaced the 7.5 series so that drivers would have something new (they kept the shocks from the K2/3). The 777 feels much more alive on the track which can be a good feeling. It may even be faster here and there. A 777 SP2 is a precision vehicle that you can put anywhere on the track at will but the shocks tend to be inconsistent. That is a good reason why Kyosho is working on new shocks.

The MBX5 was also released. This was the first car that could consistently keep up with the 7.5 cars on all tracks with all drivers and was built with similar quality of materials. I'm not sure the MBX5 was any faster/more consistent than the K2/3 but it was at least close enough to win. The MBX5 was replaced by the MBX5r mainly for a shock upgrade that was needed. The R feels more lively than the older ProSpec which is probably why it is selling so well.

The Losi is new and different. They obviously borrowed from the XX4 which is not a bad thing. It is a car that electric guys and gas truck guys will really like. I know guys who are faster with it than they were with other cars, and I know people who hated driving it.

So with that history lesson you are all up to date. Good luck making a choice.
windellmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

One thing about 1/8 buggies. You need to be comfortable pulling the throttle very hard a lot of the time to be fast. That throttle is the key to not only going fast but also not wrecking a lot of the time.
windellmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
a 41.5 is faster than a 40.9 and a 40.1?
Well, I was wrong about the fastest lap but I still believe that the 8ight did not get a fair decision in this shootout.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #34
Tech Elite

I completely disagree that 1/8th scale requires pulling the trigger to be in the ballpark. After watching beginner and sportsman-level drivers rather closely at a bunch of races lately, I think that's a very unfair statement and a reason why many new 1/8th scale drivers in our hobby are rather misled in terms of how to get around the track quickly.

Yesterday at Revelation Raceway, I did a bit of an experiment. I was breaking in my car and engine for the Nationals next week, so I was pretty much putting around the track. Engine slightly rich, just enough throttle to clear the jumps, 1/2 throttle down the 160+ ft. straightaway, never touching full throttle for about a quart of fuel.

I spoke with a fairly experienced sportsman-level driver there last night, who I watched go around the track for quite some time. I told him simply "you use too much throttle, and at the wrong times". His fastest laps, according to the AMB personal transponder system at the track, were in the 31-32 second range.

I went out there and proceeded to putt around the track, stringing 32 second (or lower) laps for a tank of fuel, virtually identical to the pace of the above-mentioned sportsman driver. The difference?

That tank of fuel lasted 14 minutes. And I managed a 29-second lap during that tank of fuel as well.

So no, you absolutely don't need to pull the trigger to make an 1/8th scale work. Watch the top drivers at any national-level race and listen to their engines and I think you'll find that they're not as "punched" as most people think they are. Maybe not putting around the track, but certainly less noodled than the average local racer.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #35
Tech Elite

As for picking the "best" car on the market, you could make a case for and against every car on the market. There is not one that is clearly cut above the rest in the minds of the majority.

You don't have to pick the one that a magazine editor likes, not the one your semi-sponsored buddy raves about, not the one that "wins all the big races". Go for the car your local hobby store supports, the one you feel is the best value for your money, the one that you can find quick, reliable customer service for.

All Losi owners on this forum should know where to find that last part!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

the XRAY XB8 EC is the best buggy in the world end of story.
An xray had a LAP lead at the worlds race! Kyosho?

and don't be scared about the tunability of an xray because the intruction manual has a set-up guide that goes over every inch of the car.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Exactly the kind of post I was referring to...haha.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
One thing about 1/8 buggies. You need to be comfortable pulling the throttle very hard a lot of the time to be fast. That throttle is the key to not only going fast but also not wrecking a lot of the time.
I do not agree with this statement!!!!! I found that i started running my best laps when i finely stopped running on the ragged edge of crashing at all times, bombing all the jumps and sliding all the corners at wide open throttle and started running smooth controlled laps picking the right places on the track to cut the throttle loose looking for good passing areas on the track, but this is what worked for me....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

man, this decision is pretty hard. right now its a toss up for me between the mbx-5r, jammin, and the 8ight(if i get better at driving gas truck).
would i be correct when i say that, when i get better at driving gas truck, i would just become better overall at driving a buggy, and it wouldnt really matter what buggy i get? thanks for all the help
i also wanted to throw in the fact that i won the engien giveaway on rctech, so now i got a plus 21-7bt just waiting for me to get a buggy to put it in.
heffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #40
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

any of the top buggys are capable of winning at the pro level, so any one you choose is certainly going to be capable of winning for the average club racer. If you are a good driver, you are good driver. It may take a little time to make adjustments but if you are fast with one buggy you'll probably be fast with any of them.

I personally just sold my 2nd hand jammin fte and got the Xray xb8ec. I chose it because it has the best parts quality and fit and finish, and also because it is what my LHS runs.
chris3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I ran the original 7.5 since around 2000 or 2001 can't remember till I bought the Losi I know exactly what you are talking about its super easy to drive... I'm just faster overall with the Losi 8...

I didn't have trouble with the shocks the old style ones maybe broke one in 6 years???

its still a good car just like more steering for my driving style thats all
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffer View Post
man, this decision is pretty hard. right now its a toss up for me between the mbx-5r, jammin, and the 8ight(if i get better at driving gas truck).
would i be correct when i say that, when i get better at driving gas truck, i would just become better overall at driving a buggy, and it wouldnt really matter what buggy i get? thanks for all the help
i also wanted to throw in the fact that i won the engien giveaway on rctech, so now i got a plus 21-7bt just waiting for me to get a buggy to put it in.
Ill tell ya like it is, if your a good diver than your a good driver, and if your not, well then burn more nitro (practice practice practice) it will come around it did for me....

As far as the car, if its a good top level car they all rock, so whatever you choose if its a pro level kit then doent worry the buggy will do its job as long as you do yours....I have a Jammin X1CR and a Xray XB8 and im just as fast with either....Pick a buggy with good local parts support, and that also fits your price range....

oh and by the way thats a great first buggy motor you won yourself....
Old 06-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #43
Tech Regular

ok cool. thanks for the help. i think ill just get whatever buggy i can find for the best price.
also, jason, have you ever had any experience with the picco p7-r evo2? how is the powerband on the plus 21-7bt compared to the picco?` is it short and snappy, or is it more linear? thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffer View Post
ok cool. thanks for the help. i think ill just get whatever buggy i can find for the best price.
also, jason, have you ever had any experience with the picco p7-r evo2? how is the powerband on the plus 21-7bt compared to the picco?` is it short and snappy, or is it more linear? thanks
the novarossi has a much better power band than the picco...as fas as the novarossi feels it can be either depending on the pipe you go with...a pipe like a 053 will be more low end snappy, and a 086 type pipe will have more of a linear feel with a good top end pull....good luck and let us know what buggy you end up going with.... losi 8ight, jammin x1cr, xray xb8ec, ae rc8, kyosho mp777, hoboa hyper8, mugen mbx5r, and there are more are all great buggies, so feel safe with the fact that the buggy will be fast and strong as long as you drive it well....

Jason
Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #45
Tech Regular

i think i am going to be getting me a jammin, just becase they are cheaper to find right now. also, for the 21-7bt, how ar ethe jp series pipe for it? thanks