R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Racing Buggy Reccomendations

Hello all,
I do mostly dirst oval racing (Nitro Sprint Car and Nitro EDM) I am looking to get into more offraod racing. I have a XXX-NT that I mainly race on oval but have done some offroad, and a xxx-t MF2 that I have raced offroad a few times. So, I am not a "Pro" offroad guy, but I want a decent buggy. It looks like an 8ight RTR might be the way to go for the money. The fastest guys at my track are running Jammin buggies (factory version I think...???)

I don't need the best, but don't want the cheapest. I want a buggy that will run with the pack and towards the front when I figure out how to drive it.

What do you recommend??? Is the 8ight RTR good enough for competive club racing?

Thanks!!!

Jeremy
jkas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Thumbs up

From what I have seen, yeah... The Losi RTR is a good car, just need to upgrade the servos, and buy other stuff as ya go... The motor that comes with it rips!

Good luck!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

it rips but is also illegal for competition due to its .26 size. something to consider at least. if you are looking for racing then you will have to shell out for the rtr and then more for a motor. check with your club first.

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
FullThrottle Raceway Webmaster
KForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

if the guy is just club racing like he says then track owners probably won't mind, at all of the tracks in my area they have no problem letting RTR owners run the stock engines in their cars.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would go with what everybody is running at your track. I like my jammin, but I also like the mugens and the kyosho's.
prphze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Jammin is the poo!!!!!!!! and if you want ill sell you a really upgraded one ready to hit the trackdeathstar....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Tech Elite

If you pick up the 8IGHT buggy, you will be able to use the same tools that you use on your MF2 and XXX-NT, with no need to carry around an extra set of metric tools.

There's no denying the Losi buggy's record of changing the U.S. 1/8th scale off-road scene. If your local hobby store supports it, it should definitely be a front-runner in your mind when it comes to picking a buggy.

And of course, I'd be more than willing to help you with any questions you might have about it!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Aaron has a good point, and the fact that i want to sell my X1CR and XB8 to buy a new Losi 8ight PRO, LOL but if you want a used X1CR or XB8 i have what you need, and ill have my new 8ight PRO (what i need)...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Rosco

Well, for the lack of Xray love I'll chime in here.

Ive owned an XB8TQ for 2 years now, and I have yet to break a part on it. Im serious about this, Ive gone 2 years without breaking an a-arm, control arm, shock tower, shocks ETC.

Whenever I had a question about the car, I would get FAST bang on service from Xray reps here in Canada. I had a problem with a diff case out of the box, and Korgae from Xray Canada sent me a new one AND a Hudy pit towel for my trouble! Its been a pleasure dealing with anything Xray, and I cant see myself going anywhere in the future with this kind of quality race vehicles and exceptional people.

Some of the other companys make good buggies, and they have awesome pro racers endorse them. They may be good for them, being pro drivers and having a million spares they can afford to run lets say a less-than-perfect buggy. For us people who arent pros, we need something durable and long lasting, and thats EXACTLY what my XB8TQ has been for me. I don't carry any spares for it, its seen about 4 engines and 3 bodies and it still runs fassssst.

So suffice to say, Im an Xray man.
Grande Prairie Electric Winter Cup 2007 2nd place 1/10th
GPMRA 2007 Outdoor 1/8 Buggy Champion
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

Nice one Aaron. Go with the Losi or Xray for durability. The Mugen is good but it is heavy.
My opinion there is no better car than the Losi.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Thanks for the help, guys. I do like the losi and to be honest... I didn't know that the XB8 was an Xray. Question: Why is it that Xray is sooo popular in the onroad world, but not so much in offroad. I know they are a bit spendy, but they seem to be engineered and manufactured very well.

Any opinions?

Thank you!
jkas10 is offline   Reply With Quote