Wiki Posts
Search

Noise levels

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Noise levels

I need some help. We have a neighbor complaining about noise. I need to find pipes/mufflers for both 1/8th & 1/10th that quiet the sound down. Will EFRA 3 chamber pipes do this ? Any other suggestions would help.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Use INS boxes and EFRA 3xxx number pipes. That will help some.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Boxes ?

Not sure about INS boxes. Just looked at the Thunder Tiger EFRA pipes, have you heard anything about these ?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know of nothing that's going to help to the extent you're looking or need.
Most cities have noise ordinances, that can result in costly fines, so my advice is to quit running them around home and locate a track or field near you.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Noise ordinances are generally are for certain times. You're nitro car (1/10 scale at least) probably is quiet enough that they can't stop you from running it. A cop or dnr official should be able to measure the decibels if you want them too. Real question is do you want to piss your neighbor off or not.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Suspended

most Noise Ordinances are good for any time of the day.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
most Noise Ordinances are good for any time of the day.
Above a certain decibal yes all day, but you have to mow the lawn and weed eat sometime. Around here it's between 7am - 9pm you can do that stuff. Then after that it gets more restrictive.
A 1/10 scale gas truck does not make more noise than most lawn mowers.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Above a certain decibal yes all day, but you have to mow the lawn and weed eat sometime. Around here it's between 7am - 9pm you can do that stuff. Then after that it gets more restrictive.
A 1/10 scale gas truck does not make more noise than most lawn mowers.
Mowing or trimming your grass and the accompanying noise is considered a neccessity.
Loud stereos, open car or motorcycle exhausts, and RC nitro buzzbombs are not ~ they're considered a nuisance, and why the noise ordinances are passed.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

You can get a cheap SPL meter at Radio Shack for less than $40. Then you can see how much noise you are actually producing. You need someone to hold the meter at the neighbors property and see what the level is.

Noise levels are different from city to city and zone to zone so you need to go find out what it is for your particular area.

You didn't mention whether this is you playing in your yard or is this a racing facility where people come to race. So which is it. Depending on the circumstances you have rights also.

Many noise ordinances aren't enforced during the day but again this depends on location & local laws.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

So we're doing three this time..

Just trying to give the person a solutiton rather than to cave in for some crotchety old neighbor or whoever may be complaining. I see you did give him a suggestion too to go find a track, which is a great suggestion. But maybe he doesn't have a track nearby. And maybe their ordinace is different than yours. My local track was in a public park in the middle of a subdivision and two cry-babies tried to have it shut down. The decibal readings were taken and nothing could be done since we were at an acceptible level, even with monsters and truggies.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Robbie S, you and I are on the same page.
Good post.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Suspended

No, it just appeared you were being closed-minded to the whole ordinance thing ~ and all I was trying to do was warn the guy that it was a possibility.
I've actually written ordinances and revisions to them, as well as dealing with the whole nitro noise issue at tracks I've been part of. The noise is a nuisance, imagine sitting in your house watching TV and having this incessant buzzing of a million mosquitos that won't stop, and I know of many people have been forced to shut down tracks or move them to less invasive locations. So I was suggesting to the guy was to find a better place to run that where they currently were, and he became a pain to his neighbors, and he got shut down as well as becoming the scourge of the neighborhood.
It's not about crotchety old neighbors, cry babies, or caving in, it's about being adult and considerate enough to consider what might be fun for you is terribly annoying to others. Not being cognizant of this is what leads to the noise ordinaces.
Laws don't get passed for the fun of it, they get passed because people found loopholes in the earlier versions or simply ingored basic rationale and rules of human decency.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Mowing or trimming your grass and the accompanying noise is considered a neccessity.
Loud stereos, open car or motorcycle exhausts, and RC nitro buzzbombs are not ~ they're considered a nuisance, and why the noise ordinances are passed.
If thats the case, then use an electric mower and trimmer for the necessity work and keep the noise low for that too.

It makes no difference, the rc car and mower both make noise and are only acceptable at certain times of the day. If I ran my RC car around the neighborhood in the day and a neighbor complained, tough. I may try to make it quieter, but there is really no law stating you can't run it.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ezveedub
If thats the case, then use an electric mower and trimmer for the necessity work and keep the noise low for that too.

It makes no difference, the rc car and mower both make noise and are only acceptable at certain times of the day. If I ran my RC car around the neighborhood in the day and a neighbor complained, tough. I may try to make it quieter, but there is really no law stating you can't run it.
I guess you don't get it, because it does make a difference.
You fail to recognize how your actions are such a nuisance and your attitude is inconsiderate. That "too bad, it's tough" mentality is exactly why noise ordinances are passed, and maybe why you should look into your local laws because it's covered most places nowadays under either the Nuisance or the Noise heading. I'm pretty sure Lauderdale has it both covered.

Either way, I'm done debating whether they can or if they apply because some of you apparently are unaware of how many formerly electric tracks after going nitro have been shut down because of the issue ~ or just don't mind being rude. If you want to continue arguing this issue I suggest attending your local city council meeting.

But if you want to help in the discussion, answer the first guy's question and help him address his problem.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I guess you don't get it, because it does make a difference.
You fail to recognize how your actions are such a nuisance and your attitude is inconsiderate. That "too bad, it's tough" mentality is exactly why noise ordinances are passed, and maybe why you should look into your local laws because it's covered most places nowadays under either the Nuisance or the Noise heading. I'm pretty sure Lauderdale has it both covered.

Either way, I'm done debating whether they can or if they apply because some of you apparently are unaware of how many formerly electric tracks after going nitro have been shut down because of the issue ~ or just don't mind being rude. If you want to continue arguing this issue I suggest attending your local city council meeting.

But if you want to help in the discussion, answer the first guy's question and help him address his problem.
Thats your opinion on how you think a town or law should be. If everyone agreed that a lawn mower is noisy and should be changed to emit less noise, then the town or city can pass a law stating that, simple as that. Its how you determine or agree what is legal and what is not, thats what makes a law. Most ordinanaces state no noise between xx:00 am to xx:00 pm.

As for being rude, do you think yardwork on any day in the morning at 7:00AM is nice when it right at your house? I don't, and I deal with it all the time. But I don't go calling everyone to stop making noise either. I don't find it acceptable to park the lawn truck next to my house with the chipper to perform regular maintainence for everyone in the neighborhood, but I deal with it. As for the original post, if the rc car noise is during normal business hours, then I would deal with them on a legal issue and battle it all the way. Im tired of hearing of whining neighbors and what they FEEL is acceptable. I'm pretty sure they do something noise annoying also.

As for local tracks and noise, most are on city property/parks here in Florida from what I have seen. Some are private and this and in BFE away from everyone.

Last edited by ezveedub; 07-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.