R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Novice Dad Needs Advice

I have a nine year old son who's birthday is on Wednesday and can't make my mind up on what brand or model of the 1/8th scale buggy. I started him on RTR Traxxas Stampede truck at Christmas. He loved it but it can't clear the doubles or big jumps at the local tracks. I then made a huge mistake and got him a Sportwerks Raven RTR. It literally when around the track a total of 30 times before it had to go into the shop.

It was a real piece of junk. He now wants an 1/8th scale buggy for his birthday. The local shop carries the RTR Losi8, and two RTR Sportwerks buggies that are between 3-4 hundred dollars. I am a novice but am inclined to go ahead a spend the money on the Losi instead on going the Sportwerks way.

Can anybody help me out I have until Friday and the local shops don't carry Kyosho or other types. They have Traxxas, Losi and Sportwerks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. IT'S A LOT OF MONEY FOR ME BUT I AM A SINGLE FATHER AND THAT IS WHAT HE WANT'S.

Thanks in advance.

Bhard888

Bhard888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

I would say the Losi 8, but because it is so popular, parts can be hard to come by once in a while. Although I know it will be supported by many shops for quite a while...

For RTR vehicles, the stock servos are weak on all the vehicles you posted. Also, if the throttle servo is not setup just right, you may have problems burning out the servo motor (with the Losi 8)
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhard888 View Post
I have a nine year old son who's birthday is on Wednesday and can't make my mind up on what brand or model of the 1/8th scale buggy. I started him on RTR Traxxas Stampede truck at Christmas. He loved it but it can't clear the doubles or big jumps at the local tracks. I then made a huge mistake and got him a Sportwerks Raven RTR. It literally when around the track a total of 30 times before it had to go into the shop.

It was a real piece of junk. He now wants an 1/8th scale buggy for his birthday. The local shop carries the RTR Losi8, and two RTR Sportwerks buggies that are between 3-4 hundred dollars. I am a novice but am inclined to go ahead a spend the money on the Losi instead on going the Sportwerks way.

Can anybody help me out I have until Friday and the local shops don't carry Kyosho or other types. They have Traxxas, Losi and Sportwerks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. IT'S A LOT OF MONEY FOR ME BUT I AM A SINGLE FATHER AND THAT IS WHAT HE WANT'S.

Thanks in advance.

Bhard888

its kinda of tough on this. cause there are alot of cars out there and alot of opinions as well. but for parts avaliability and these easy of which it is to drive i would say the losi. the other cars are good also but from what i have been through with a few of them and talking with guys i race with , set-up is a bit harder to find for a driver and the track you race at. also it is more likely that you may have a losi supported driver at your track and can ask ?'s and get advice from him easily. of course there may be a supported driver from another maker. i think to that the losi rtr is a better built car than the sportswerks cars. it is alot of money either way you go. but i think in time you will spend less on the losi. wish it was easier then this but with like 10 1/8 readily out right now and a few more coming, your going to hear alot of ideas here. but i would say whatever is in your budget and how easy it is to get parts for the brand you chose.
AzBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Go for the 8 RTR. Having local parts support is a big thing to think about when buying a new car and the Losi buggy is right among the best out-of-the-box RTR's on the market, and perhaps the most complete package in terms of car, electronics, and other equipment.

If you do end up with a Losi vehicle, please feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have and I'll be happy to answer you completely and as soon as possible.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

personally.. I would run wichever you feel is the best deal.. or has the most parts support... Both being good buggies. (sportwerks taking a few design flaws from a few different buggies..).. I have seen it beat the kyo's and Mugens..

As for the losi.. its original.. Parts are great and I think you would probly have alot more set up.. Tuning help.. both locally and on line as well..And it is right there with anything else.. the RTR scimps on a few pieces but comes well equipped..

Both motors SW and the losi Mach.. run well.. the losi may have a slight edge here.. May even be too much depending on your sons ability..

the Raven Im assuming was electric..??.. even considered a 1/10 gas truck ae gt2.. or the likes..

I guess my biggest concern.. and Im sure you have thought of this.. is a 8lb buggy moving at 45 mph.. could be a pretty dangerous weapon if your son wasnt careful...Im not assaulting you.. or him.. He may very well be able to handle it!!... : )..

All things considered if you yourself dont race nitro or arent used to it,, it will be a whole new level of things to learn.. sometimes motors get the best of you no matter what precautions... ( tuning wise..)..

I do wish you luck with whatever you decide...
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks for the great advice, need more.

You guys are correct every where I go I see Losi parts and cars which would allow me alot more access to parts and people because most people run Losi in Dallas.

Now after setup which will be a bitch, how durable is the Losi. I know its a hard question but like I mentioned I think its worth it to drop the extra 150 dollars and save money down the road on parts.

I know nothing regarding a gas 1/8th scale buggy that is why I need the most durable and dependable buggy I can get. I think its the Losi.

Thank you very much. Anybody in Dallas, TX
Bhard888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Honestly, I think it may be better for you just to upgrade his stampede with a brushless setup, especially if you are really not inclined on tuning a nitro engine or dealing with the various nitro issues that can come up. A good mamba max 5700 unit will run you about $180ish new or less used (selling mine since I don't have a class for it ) Combine it with a lipo maxamps pack 8000mah, you are talking 30+ minute runtimes from what I have heard.

Since I started doing nitro, I have had to learn alot as far as little things to look for so you know that when the vehicle does A and doesn't run, it could be B, C, D, E etc. I know this is similar in electric, but to me at least, it seems finding the problem was alot easier in electric than nitro and fixing it as well. Maintenance is also alot less, especially with a brushless setup if that is an option.

The main thing I would want to know from my son is what exactly about the 1/8 scales does he like that his stampede doesn't do. If you told him you could make his stampede faster than a 1/8 scale, jump farther, etc. would he still want the 1/8 scale?

in the end if he is still set on a 1/8 scale nitro vehicle, the Losi 8ight RTR is a good vehicle, just make sure you address any of the issues that have come up with it, namely the throttle servo dying problem. Aaron can give you a rundown on the issue and help you out as well. I am not a Losi man by heart but I will say they are sure alot more friendlier and willing to help than AE is.

As for the sportwerks vehicles, the 1/8 scale buggies are not that bad, and the .21 V2 Pro engine on the ARR setup is quite powerful for the money and is race legal, but overall, you probably will be happier with the losi.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

The Losi is EXTREMELY durable. I am on my second kit and have not broken one thing on the car. I think you will be very pleased with the car.

Just a bit of advice on the motor, keep a constant check on temp, make sure there is smoke coming out of the pipe when running down the straight-away and do not make any major adjustments all at once. That should pretty well cover you, the directions have always been good coming from Losi, so just follow those and you will be in the clear.
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Tech Elite

All R/C cars have their limits. Run it into a solid object at high enough speed, and every single one of them will break. Likewise, each car has it's strong points and weaknesses. I don't think anyone can complain about how tough the 8IGHT series of cars are in a crash, and Losi has been working on fixing other things (like that dreaded "servo problem" ). I firmly believe that the Losi buggy is one of the most durable out-of-the-box cars you can buy.

If you don't believe me, watch me on a practice day...haha.

Nitro tuning and maintenance is just like anything else; with a little practice, it becomes second nature and no big deal. There is plenty of help to be found, both at your local track and on the internet. Like I said...you can fire any question you have at me and I'll do my best to get back to you as quickly as possible.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

IMHO, I think you should consider the SW Turmoil . Im guessing that is one of the SW buggies your shop carries, as you mentioned in your first post.My reasoning here is that I wold guess it would cost less. You should then use what you saved there and get a decent charger, rechargeable receiver pack (if needed, a lot of RTRs are coming with them lately) and a better steering servo. It sounds like your shop supports Horizon, that being said, the JR 8800 or 9000 series servos are an excellent option. The Turmoil is a very durable buggy and would be great to learn with. Either way you choose, get a better steering servo, and take the z590 that they come with, and put that on throttle, in place of the z270.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think in certain ways all the 1/8 cars equally durable but maybe just in different spots on the car. overall i think the 8ight is better than the two previous cars i owned. i think going with a lower tier brand you will find it nickling you to death in a-arms and even shock shafts. that whats i went through when i got into it. for overall enjoyment and learning to drive in general the 1/8 car is easier to start out with and not as frustrating. like a 1/10 would be especially as someone suggested going with a brushless system. one the cost of one is nearly half the cost of a rtr 1/8. then add in the cost of tranny parts you will replace every three to four weeks in a rustler. that is way to much motor for that truck. the new one that is coming with brushless in it is totally new design in the tranny to handle the added power. and quite frankly any type of serious racing with a rustler is a big reach. but any 1/8 is capable of racing at a novice or sportsman level. yes tuning can a bit much at first there are alot of way to learn that and getting help at your local track from a fellow racer im sure will get you going with little trouble. plus another consideration is how many racers are you seeing in 1/8 compared to 1/10 at your track. the more racers in a given equals more fun also. i hope this and the advice from the others is helpful for you.
AzBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

agreed about the steering servo. if that z590 is what comes on the RTR for steering, its really not that good for that. better than others especially ofna what they give you, but you will want something better pretty quick. Also, if a throttle return spring is on the Z270 servo for throttle, you may want to replace the spring and use the rubber band trick instead. Basically, pick up some of those pony holder rubber bands and put them on the carb as you see fit till you get it to close the way you want without being too strong.

I smoked a Z270 servo on my LST from that throttle return spring when just checking the connections. Was too much pull on the servo. The Z590 however makes a great throttle servo for buggy, thats what I am using.

HS5945MG or the 5925MG is great for steering!

You can however find good quality vehicles without breaking the bank. My Matrix is a testament to that, unfortunately its not carried usually at LHS. But considering how durable this thing is, doubt much ordering would be needed. I have a warchest here of unused parts because of that!

Best bet is to go to the track and see if someone will let you wheel a 1/8 scale vehicle to see what he thinks of it, and then a mod powered stadium truck. Usually a shop that is selling stuff would be willing to let you try the owners vehicle just to see.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The losi is obviously a nice choice. However, the sportwerks turmoil rtr is not a piece of garbage either. The sportwerks nitros are fairly decent (their electric cars may not be so great). Talk to the shop owner some and discuss your concerns. Hopefully, he or she is informed and will steer you in the right direction for your budget etc.
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i would look at it from another way...why go rtr? if you ever plan on racing get something with a legal engine and if you do end up getting an rtr by the time you make it raceable(fix the bent rtr parts with pro/standard parts) you will have more in the rtr than getting a good race kit to begin with. the turmoil pro arr (for refference http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SWK1155) then add a quality radio and servos. not knocking the losi rtr but that has alot of solid parts on it for bashing or racing
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to MADMAN23

get a rtr hyper 7....
MADMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote