R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Temp Reading...

I know it's a great debate... but what is the most accurate way to use a temp gun? Is it shooting the glow plug? The cooling head?

Which has the most consistent temp?
eziduzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo
Default Venom Temp

Hi, sorry to highjeck your thread. I also need advise on the temp too but I am using Venom temp and would like to know where should I put the wire? bottom side of the cooling fin or center? Another question is the wire have a place where the wire is join and using sleeving to clamp/ close the end point of the wire and issit this the place where is a measurement point? Please advise. Thanks.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was alway told to take temp down inside the cooling head @ or very near the glow plug...That is going to give you an accurate measurement of combustion temperatures.

I am not sure where to put the temp sensor ring! I would think that you want it near the bottom of the head for proper operation!
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Put the dot right on top of the glow plug for temping. You can put the temp sensor anywhere on the head but I would reccomend you to have someone temp your motor for the temp at the glow plug. Once you have that temp you know where you stand ecah time you see it.
t4usee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it does very little good to temp an area that is designed to disipate heat immediately. you want the temp of the motro at combustion point. again also pointing a temp gun at the side of the block does little good as again it is design to eleminate heat. the only way to get a fairly accurate reading of motor temp is at the glow plug. if your using an onboard sensor device i would put it as low as possible on the head. and even there you would probably see as much as a 5 degree difference between it and a temp gun. again depending on which ones you use and the accuracy level og the gun or the on board device.
AzBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The engine temp is generally measured from the glow plug. It's easiest to simply aim down towards the plug with your temp gauge and move it around a little to find the max temp. Use that max temp as your reference point.

To better answer the original question, "What is the most accurate way to use a temp gun?"

The answer is only to use it as a reference tool to check for problems. The idea is to tune your engine to where it performs great, still giving off smoke, throttles smoothly and has a nice crisp sound. Once that is accomplish take the temp. That temp should be a good reference point to where the engine performs well. It could be 200 or 280, it depends on the engine.

Now this is where a lot of people go wrong. If they temp the engine at 200 they think they can go to 250 safely. NO! That is not the case. It does not mean you can lean the engine out more and still be safe. If it comes in at 180 it may need to be leaned out more but the big key here is not to tune for a specific temp. The temp is only used as a refence to potential problems. If an engine that's running well at 200 suddenly comes in at 250+ then back off the needles, and or shut it down and check for air leaks, clogged fuel filter, ...etc.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBobby View Post
it does very little good to temp an area that is designed to disipate heat immediately. you want the temp of the motro at combustion point. again also pointing a temp gun at the side of the block does little good as again it is design to eleminate heat. the only way to get a fairly accurate reading of motor temp is at the glow plug. if your using an onboard sensor device i would put it as low as possible on the head. and even there you would probably see as much as a 5 degree difference between it and a temp gun. again depending on which ones you use and the accuracy level og the gun or the on board device.
Those are some good answers to the questions i was going to ask ill play with those thankz.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON

BUMP
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote