R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default HB Lightning Stadium 10... Please Help !

I need some help and below are my issues. This is a brand new HB Lightning Stadium 10 with stock motor, stock glow plug, O'Donnell 20% Fuel. The glow plug isn't fouled and ignites just fine. I also threw in a new MC-59 and had similar issues:
  • Start engine (takes forever) and once started the wheels rotate and the idle screams.
  • Try to adjust RPM adjustment and it makes the engine even more difficult to start.
  • Once it is started, it usually chokes and shuts down. So I adjust the high needle and I don't see any major difference in either lean or rich settings.
  • Once I do get it going, it lasts for 2-4 mins and it eventually just shuts off. No, it's not out of gas.
  • Each and ever time I get it to start the wheels spin. Why? Slipper clutch too tight?

I'm extremely frustrated so I just put it on the shelf. Took out my 8ight and enjoyed 2 hours of non-stop action. I've been into Nitro for the last 3 months, but never had any major issues tweaking the motor on my 8ight so I'm very confused. I've been in the hobby for the last 10+ years, so I'm pretty familiar with gear and such. Are the smaller motors that picky or is there something else wrong? Anything I'm overlooking?

Any help is appreciated as my son and I are extremely bummed....
luisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

I have the same car, with exacltly the same issues.

What I did was to get the idle screw to push the slide in about 1-2mm, set the low speed flush then half a turn out(rich) and the HSN 2-3 full turns out from bottom.

It seems to me you can turn the moto extremly rich and it wil still run.

What happens if you do a pinch test on the engine?

The factory motor seem to be a difficult one to tune been struggeling for about 2.5 months with mine, and still is, buts its alot better now.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!
Danie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Sounds very much like an issue I had recently with my CEN Matrix. Engine would want to fire, but die right away, or when I got it going it would die with fuel still left. Also, wheels and drivetrain would spin.

I was told to look at either a bad clutch bearing, or something that would basically locking up the flywheel to the clutchbell.

When I took mine apart, some of the clutch shoe springs were damaged, and it appears some threadlock got onto the bearings binding them up. Did a full dissassembly of the clutch and put it back together, and everything feels much better now, just need to fire it up here when I get the chance.

I would say start there.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote