R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   HB Lightning Stadium 10... Please Help ! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/167314-hb-lightning-stadium-10-please-help.html)

luisv 06-09-2007 09:29 AM

HB Lightning Stadium 10... Please Help !

I need some help and below are my issues. This is a brand new HB Lightning Stadium 10 with stock motor, stock glow plug, O'Donnell 20% Fuel. The glow plug isn't fouled and ignites just fine. I also threw in a new MC-59 and had similar issues:
  • Start engine (takes forever) and once started the wheels rotate and the idle screams.
  • Try to adjust RPM adjustment and it makes the engine even more difficult to start.
  • Once it is started, it usually chokes and shuts down. So I adjust the high needle and I don't see any major difference in either lean or rich settings.
  • Once I do get it going, it lasts for 2-4 mins and it eventually just shuts off. No, it's not out of gas.
  • Each and ever time I get it to start the wheels spin. Why? Slipper clutch too tight?

I'm extremely frustrated so I just put it on the shelf. Took out my 8ight and enjoyed 2 hours of non-stop action. I've been into Nitro for the last 3 months, but never had any major issues tweaking the motor on my 8ight so I'm very confused. I've been in the hobby for the last 10+ years, so I'm pretty familiar with gear and such. Are the smaller motors that picky or is there something else wrong? Anything I'm overlooking?

Any help is appreciated as my son and I are extremely bummed....

Danie 06-11-2007 12:06 PM

I have the same car, with exacltly the same issues.

What I did was to get the idle screw to push the slide in about 1-2mm, set the low speed flush then half a turn out(rich) and the HSN 2-3 full turns out from bottom.

It seems to me you can turn the moto extremly rich and it wil still run.

What happens if you do a pinch test on the engine?

The factory motor seem to be a difficult one to tune been struggeling for about 2.5 months with mine, and still is, buts its alot better now.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! :)

Cain 06-12-2007 10:25 AM

Sounds very much like an issue I had recently with my CEN Matrix. Engine would want to fire, but die right away, or when I got it going it would die with fuel still left. Also, wheels and drivetrain would spin.

I was told to look at either a bad clutch bearing, or something that would basically locking up the flywheel to the clutchbell.

When I took mine apart, some of the clutch shoe springs were damaged, and it appears some threadlock got onto the bearings binding them up. Did a full dissassembly of the clutch and put it back together, and everything feels much better now, just need to fire it up here when I get the chance.

I would say start there.