R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #151
Tech Elite

OK, i havent got the new kits in yet so the Factory kits are also preassembled like the earlier ones.
Would be nice to see what setup Cam and Mike ran.

Ive enjoyed the car with the 5k/7k/3k diff setup
45wt shock oil with the 1.5mm hole pistons
std blue shock springs are ok but a bit on the soft side, the new springs are much better i hear.
3 deg toe on the rear and all else stock.
Buggy has great steering compared to the older ZX-1 and just soaks up the rough stuff.
The new ZX-1R also has the new rear upper arm thats similar to the Mugen so has that extra bit of droop with out touching the inside of the rims.
The new gearing has been a real pleasure too with the car responding and accelerating much better out of corners.
My biggest hassle was breaking rear wing stays but thats sorted with the new wing stays.

Only other upgrades ive made is to change the hinge pins to Kfactory captured ones and a one piece engine mount.

Wont be running for while know till the new year as the national season is over but am looking forward to next year , the African Cup in March and making it to the worlds in the US.

A pic of my Pro ZX-1R buggy when it was built.
I used the carbon radio tray and diff brace from my old ZX-1.

TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0

Last edited by razzor; 11-14-2007 at 12:46 PM.
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Hey guys, you should be able to order from the website later this morning. Lets try and keep this thread to Caster related issues. I have personally driven the losi, mugen, ocm, jammin, and obviously now the Caster and my personally feel that they are all good cars. All of them have thier week and strong points ( including the Caster car ). I am an electric driver at heart, and like a car that is balanced has good steering balanced with good traction, and is stable. The Caster car fits all three criteria. The car has never bitten me in the butt in a race. If it wrecks, its because I wrecked it! It is truly the fastest and most stable car I have ever run. Only time will tell, but from everyone that has bought one so far, that has been the general way of thinking. Setup doesnt change much from track to track. I had to make 4 small changes from my standard setup to make it midpack in the b at the proseries finals. In my opinion that is not much at all. It lets you concentrate on driving, and not worry about if you made the right change or not. Heres to a good 08 season.

cam
www.teamcasterracing.com
casterusa ( not international )
Yeah ok Cam, you are right and i like all the cars myself just get annoyed when ppl who dont know what they r talking about bag other brands.

My experience with the caster is they had a few issues when they first came out but these have been solved, i think the caster can be as quick as any of them too... and yes competitively priced.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #153
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

Kewl. Thanks Loop&Roll.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #154
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Black, missed your call. Give me one today. cam
camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #155
Tech Adept

Razzor, better keep that carbon fiber as the manufacturer will not be offering it anymore. My setups are
standard
front-1.5mm pistons, 50wt losi oil, mugen grey springs, #2 on tower and inside on arm, caster all the way forward, stock sway with 2mm preload, ride height level, 5k diff oil, -1 camber
center-7k diff oil
rear-1.5mm pistons, 45wt losi oil, mugen grey springs, #2 on tower and inside on arm, camber link middle inside on tower and upper outside on hub carrier, bottom hole on hinge pin on hub carrier, long wheelbase, stock swaybar with 2mm preload, 3 degree toe-in, antisquat up, -2camber, 3k diff oil

For the proseries finals
front-stock red spring, #3 on tower outside on arm ( run jammin shock ends and spring retainers-when the manufacturer made the front shock tower longer they forgot to make the shock longer, this will be fix until he corrects it )
center-5k diff oil
rear-#3 on tower, upper inside hole on shock tower for camber link ( rtr composite chassis braces front and rear )

cam
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #156
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop&Roll View Post
Yeah ok Cam, you are right and i like all the cars myself just get annoyed when ppl who dont know what they r talking about bag other brands.
Hmmmm... you are making assumptions. And if you look closely, I haven't "bagged" the Mugen. I simply said it pushes. And it does. Your definition of "too much push" may not be the same as mine. It doesn't have as much steering as a Losi, or even a Kyosho. It is very stable and planted... but it pushes. I did just about everything imaginable to not make it push. Lighter front swaybar, stiffened the rear swaybar, various combinations of shock and diff fluids, (including going 5-7-1) maximized the caster in front for on power steering, etc. It pushes. The only way to make that car turn on a tight track is to toss it around the corner.

On one of our local tracks, I could come down the INSIDE of the straight and still turn inside the turn radius of the Mugens that were hugging the outside of the same straight, (with the Losi) and still carry as much or more corner speed. The guys I see being really fast with Mugens have learned to toss them into the corner on really sharp turns. I can't do that consistantly. The Losi will turn without all that extra effort. Now, granted, if you push the Losi too hard it WILL bite you... it isn't as forgiving as the Mugen.

Quote:
My experience with the caster is they had a few issues when they first came out but these have been solved, i think the caster can be as quick as any of them too... and yes competitively priced.
Ok... agreed.

Quote:
I have driven a losi and they dont have much more steering than my mugen, i dont think u know what u are talking about DOMIT, the mugen does not push as bad as u make them out to...
Yeah, ok... the Losi doesn't have much more steering than the Mugen. Maybe you haven't driven one that was set up properly.

Quote:
In fact i drove a losi with such a bad setup that it pushed like a front end loader... maybe you need to learn how to set it up...
11-13-2007 04:50 PM
I suspect maybe YOU need to learn how to set it up... or whoever owned the one you drove. my Losi doesn't push. My Mugen did. That's the bottom line. I'm not saying the Mugen is a bad car, I'm just saying that it isn't the car for me. The Caster turns better, or at least it does with Ed's setup on it. (Yes, I drove Ed's car.) I also drove the Losi the same day, and bought a used one the next week since the Casters were held up in shipping or customs. (I'm not a patient sort...)

I'd take a Caster over a Mugen even if they were priced the same. I happen to like the Losi right now, so that's what I have. I'd still take the Mugen over the Xray (even though parts quality is better) or most other brands for that matter. Don't read too much into me saying that the Mugen pushes.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #157
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

sorry, multiple post.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #158
Tech Apprentice

Default setup

Last edited by Rhyz77; 01-24-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Rhyz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #159
Tech Apprentice

Default Caster tires

Old 11-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #160
Tech Adept

Ed, lmao!! ( the real team )
Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 AM   #161
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I hope the new kits are MUCH better than their first batch of cars because the first wave kits that I've owned had way more than just "minor" issues. Everyone that I knew that ran these all ran "other" brands parts all around, I kinda found that ironic, anyways I digress....

The new kits do look pretty nice, and they look a little more original. As long as they have fixed the brittle plastics, and basic tolerances in the kits, then it should be a very nice car. I'm excited to read that the first impressions of the build quality are positive and that the company is stepping up the quality all around.

With the RC8 out now, is caster still the lightest buggy? Not that it matters much, but the Caster does have a nice "poppy" feel to it that I enjoyed when I owned the car.

Last edited by deus1978; 11-16-2007 at 07:10 AM.
deus1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #162
Tech Elite

At all the Nats i attended my car always got attention from the scrutineers as its 35grams over the min weight of 3.2KG and is quite a bit lighter than most other buggies.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #163
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xsxracing

Old 11-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #164
Tech Apprentice

Default Factory Pro Kits

Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #165
Tech Apprentice

Default Cam

Last edited by Rhyz77; 01-24-2008 at 09:50 AM.