Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stopping power!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Post Stopping power!?

I have a HB Lightning GT10 1/10 and it really has a breaking problem. I have ajusted it at all the places where I can and still does'nt want to stop. For example if breakes is pushed full in from top speed it takes a good 2-3m to stop dead and on lose sand or gravel it doesnt even lock the wheels. Where my HB Lightning Stadium 10 stops extremly well, and both cars is exacltly the same ,except for the GT10 has slightly bigger wheels.

Will a high torque servo help for this problem??
Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

A stronger servo could be the solution. Try turning off your electronics and turning the servo to brake and see if you can push the car around. If the car still rolls then there is something wrong with the adjustments or the brakes themselves. Check the calipers and discs for wear. If your using metal discs then there should be brake pads on the calipers.

Something to look at also is the amount of play between the calipers and the discs. Try not to leave too much space between them.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Tech Rookie

I havent check the play on the calipers, will do that tonight, thanks . The car is 3 months old, so i dont think that the disk is worn out, but I will just make sure.

If you have to suggest what type and make servo should I get, if all els fails?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

if its the original RTR servo it might be a little weak. But you can rule that out by turning the servo to brake manually, if your hand can't stop your car then your servo probably cant.

also make sure that the pads are glued to the calipers.

Any high torque servo will do Hitec, Futaba, Airtronics and ko propo are the main manufacturers. Check out their websites for servo ratings or ask your local hobby shop for recommendations. Im not really familiar with all the servo models.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Rookie

I have checked the clearence on the calipers and it was a little far open. I've screwed it in till the point that a 1/4 turn will almost complete stop the truck, is this ok or too much?

The truck is still striped down will test it this weekend and see if there is an improvement.

How do I know that I have'nt over tightend the calipers too much, and wil it maybe burn up the brakepads if it is too tight?

Thanks for the help, aprieciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As long as the calipers aren't squeezing or touching the brake pads there fine. Just make sure when the car is at neutrul there is a very small amount of play in them.

And you can just turn on your car and radio, hold the brake, and push the car back and forth on its front/back wheels then all four on the ground, to see how the braking is. Then you know if you need to dial in more break or not...

I've been searching for photos or something I can look at that will give me a better idea of what the break setup is but I can't find one?

Last edited by AZRCaddict; 06-08-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Rookie

I will take a pic of the current setup and the previous setup !? Maybe through this you guys can see if I did it correct.