R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Cool Jato Supercharger

Has anyone bought this and how do you like it? Is it worth the money? are there any problems with it?
backyarder721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Do you really need to supercharge the already speedy Jato? Hmmm...
mmarzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

superchargers will not work on our nitro engines due to the port design...
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992

every body says that but i saw a jato 2.5 supercharged beat a jato 3.3 with high torque servos
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Default Tested & Confirmed

I recently installed a supercharger on a Jato with a stock TRX 3.3 and the results were obvious. Acceleration and top speed were increased. I ran the Jato prior to installing the supercharger, with a stock pipe and a Traxxas resonator pipe. The resonator made an obvious difference. The supercharger made an obvious difference too. Then I decided to try the RB Innovations nitrous system, but in order to do so I had to install a rear exhaust to make room for the nitrous components. The RD Logics rear exhaust did not work with the supercharger at all, horrible performance. So I removed the nitrous system and reinstalled the tuned pipe, fast, real fast. I don't really like the rear exhausts due to the performance loss, but I was hoping that the nitrous gain would outweigh the exhaust loss, but the rear exhaust wouldn't work at all with the supercharger. Anyone looking for a nitrous system? Like new.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatoman1992 View Post
every body says that but i saw a jato 2.5 supercharged beat a jato 3.3 with high torque servos
What do "high torque servos" have to do with getting off the line faster? A high speed servo would help as would a radio with a faster latency rate.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
Tech Adept

my jato 2.5 beats the 3.3's on the track, they are to busy spinning their tires. i also used high torque steering servo, and high speed throttle servo, is that cheating?

all the supercharger is going to do to a 2 stroke engine is scavenge the burnt gas out of the combustion chamber, not add pressurized air to the engine like in a 4 stroke. it does add power to it by clearing out unburnable gas, but it does blow unburned fuel out the exhaust. it is hard to say if it is better to have one, or tune the pipe, header, fuel type and carb settings.
way2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default Supercharged Jato Pics

Quote:
Ced RC - I recently installed a supercharger on a Jato with a stock TRX 3.3 and the results were obvious.
Here's a few pics and my two cents to go along with Ced's comment above. The images are of Ced's handy work.

I agree and understand what others say about the supercharger not doing nearly as much as one would on a 4 stroke engine, but after installing and testing, we noticed quite an increase in all-around power. Both low-end torque and top speeds jumped.

If you're trying to squeeze every bit of power you can push out of an engine, this is just one of the enhancements that can be made. But for $200 plus labor, there may be better solutions for the budget. Not to mention the precision involved with the install and such little space between the supercharger and other stock components, one bad wreck and you're in for a gloomy day.

Does a supercharger on a Jato work? Oh yeah, and they're fast!

Is it worth the money? Depends on the budget. You may be able to get more overall performance with just a quality pipe, accurate gear-ratio for your driving, or suspension tweaks for better take-off and handling. But if you do all this and add a supercharger, you've got just that much more power.

I think you'd be better off with a bigger engine and tuned pipe vs. a supercharger or nitrous. I have faith in the supercharger because we tested it, but don't have much to say about the nitrous.

Here's a few pics of Ced's Jato.

This was a test run shot in the parking lot. The Jato has an RB Innovations Supercharger, Nitrous, and RD Logics Rear-Dual Exhaust:

Here's a few shots from different angles after ripping off the rear exhaust, removing the nitrous system, and installing a Traxxas Resonator Tuned Pipe:

Kind of hazy picture, but supercharger closeup:

Overhead shot:

Underneath shot:
Old 01-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Questions?? HELP

So I have a question?? I just got a T Maxx 3.3 and I want to start upgrading it and money is no thing and I'm trying to get an all round good truck. What do I start off with bearings, servo's, engine, supercharger?? WHAT?? I need someones help!!!!!!!

Last edited by chado757; 01-10-2008 at 12:12 AM.
chado757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Chado,

Reading this post may give you some good ideas as for where to start with your upgrades - the post is focused on increasing track performance...

http://ofna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...ed3a8750949177

RC Cheesehead and CED,

You guys say you 'noticed' increased performance and power. I'd recommend that you actually measure performance in some way - pre and post mods. This likely means using a stop watch.

The human mind has a bad habit of allowing it's preconceptions and bias to influence its perception of reality. Measuring the difference is the only way to be sure. 'Eyeballing it' and 'seat of the pants Dynomometers' aren't accurate.

I'll add one more thing. RC Super Chargers and 'Snake Oil' have been around for quite some time. Don't you think that you'd see them being run on Pro Racer's cars if the truly increased performance? The funny thing is that racers run slightly inferior products all the time b/c they are sponsored by that product, but, in the same sense, NO ONE is running superchargers at the track. Things that make you go Hrmmmmmmm...

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also, you could take all that extra weight off the Jato, and it would be much faster.

I'm talking about the aluminium arms, supercharger, and other Alu-bling-bits... That weight slows you down a bunch, and in most cases, is less durable than the plastic because it doesn't 'give' or 'flex' as much as the plastic composites do.
rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

I don't know about superchargers, I do know nitro motors.

...Ported and polished. Modified. Shaved. Cut. Whatever they are calling it these days. I did it to my Jato engine. With pleasing results.

***DISCLAIMER***
If I had toasted my engine by doing these modifications I was fully prepared to buy a new one and blame no one but myself. I only attempted this because I have done similar modifications in the past with positive results.
This is in no way an OFFICIAL TRAXXAS TRX MODIFICATION

Years ago my dad and I would take apart our airplane engines, mostly Fox, McCoy, and Enya motors and modify them at the machine shop on the Air Force Base wherever in the world we were.

Last week I took apart my Traxxas TRX 3.3 motor and inspected it to see if it could use any tweaking...

I think it's a pretty well designed engine. The case bore for the intake is well matched to the crank window. I only polished the case there. The exhaust case bore matched the exhaust port on the sleeve perfectly. I did nothing there.

I worked the crank's induction port, opening it up. Then I bored the throat out a bit and rolled the edge opening to the crank face. Lastly I cut a groove in the raised area of the crank face. Then I polished the whole crank, including the throat.

I worked the intake and boost sleeve ports by cutting/grinding grooves or channels beneath them, allowing more area for air/fuel flow and directing the air/fuel flow away from the exhaust port. I didn't mess with the exhaust sleeve port. Then I polished the outside of the sleeve until it looked like gold.

Inside the case I noticed the rear bearing nearly blocked the boost port, so I did a little grinding at the base of the boost port, opening up the sides to the intake ports. Then I polished all of that work up nicely.

Then I reassembled everything.

It started up quickly and I immediately noticed a different tone from the engine. It seemed to be breathing more easily, now. After just a couple of runs around the parking lot it was evident the engine was producing more power. I had to tune the high and low needles and the idle. Duh!

After two tanks of tuning, the engine runs stronger and cooler than it has since I got it. I wish I had a tachometer for it. I swear the top end has a 10-15 % increase in RPM. It spools up faster and will run up there without getting overheated. I have 7 tanks through the engine since the modifications and All is GOOD.
PepsiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to darkvolf100

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiKid View Post
I don't know about superchargers, I do know nitro motors.

...Ported and polished. Modified. Shaved. Cut. Whatever they are calling it these days. I did it to my Jato engine. With pleasing results.

***DISCLAIMER***
If I had toasted my engine by doing these modifications I was fully prepared to buy a new one and blame no one but myself. I only attempted this because I have done similar modifications in the past with positive results.
This is in no way an OFFICIAL TRAXXAS TRX MODIFICATION

Years ago my dad and I would take apart our airplane engines, mostly Fox, McCoy, and Enya motors and modify them at the machine shop on the Air Force Base wherever in the world we were.

Last week I took apart my Traxxas TRX 3.3 motor and inspected it to see if it could use any tweaking...

I think it's a pretty well designed engine. The case bore for the intake is well matched to the crank window. I only polished the case there. The exhaust case bore matched the exhaust port on the sleeve perfectly. I did nothing there.

I worked the crank's induction port, opening it up. Then I bored the throat out a bit and rolled the edge opening to the crank face. Lastly I cut a groove in the raised area of the crank face. Then I polished the whole crank, including the throat.

I worked the intake and boost sleeve ports by cutting/grinding grooves or channels beneath them, allowing more area for air/fuel flow and directing the air/fuel flow away from the exhaust port. I didn't mess with the exhaust sleeve port. Then I polished the outside of the sleeve until it looked like gold.

Inside the case I noticed the rear bearing nearly blocked the boost port, so I did a little grinding at the base of the boost port, opening up the sides to the intake ports. Then I polished all of that work up nicely.

Then I reassembled everything.

It started up quickly and I immediately noticed a different tone from the engine. It seemed to be breathing more easily, now. After just a couple of runs around the parking lot it was evident the engine was producing more power. I had to tune the high and low needles and the idle. Duh!

After two tanks of tuning, the engine runs stronger and cooler than it has since I got it. I wish I had a tachometer for it. I swear the top end has a 10-15 % increase in RPM. It spools up faster and will run up there without getting overheated. I have 7 tanks through the engine since the modifications and All is GOOD.
VERY NICE I wish i had the machinery to work on my nitro engine but we have the big machines that do our race engines
darkvolf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

where did you buy the jato supercharger at?
sarmenta is offline   Reply With Quote