Wiki Posts
Search

good starter truggy? hyper st?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default good starter truggy? hyper st?

hyper st rtr kit. i've been around nitro and know the basics and was wondering about this rtr kit. just for a heads up the servos will be replaced with higher torque and speed and radio gear will end up being my spectrum. motor will stay tho.

lmk. thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

you would be better off just going with a pro level kit, you will be alot happier in the end... after buying 3 rtr's ill never buy another one again (to many parts breaking) after i went to pro level kits i dont have problems with parts breaking very often...
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

i've never really had problems with rtrs. i'm conforable buying this rtr.

this thread is not pertaining to the fact it's rtr. i'm asking if this truggy can hold up with the bigger guns.

lmk. please comment really if you have had this vehical or know someone who has it and knows the goods and bads. thanks.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with Jason... RTR are crap. Unless you plan on running the thing up and down your driveway.

Spend the extra money from the get go and buy a kit like the Losi 8ight T or something. Then buy a quality engine like a P-5, V-spec, WS7, P7R EVO, etc.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The mayhem st cant really compare to other truggys. Look at the kyosho st rtr. I would buy a used roller though if you are going to junk the servos and radio.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

not really seeing why you say rtrs are crap? if changing servos and radio gear don't help it make it "not crap" what does? the motor, i know, is some what basic but i think i'll replace that when i get the money.

i don't want to pay alot of doe buying a prokit and motor and only racing it 8 times a year. i'd rather spend the money on the rtr kit and have fun with it racing.

again, i'm looking for someone who has actually owned or have done a run or two with this car. I'M FINE WITH THE RTR KIT! upgrades will come later if i really want to buy them. but inless someone can tell me why rtrs are crap, i don't see the problem with them?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

have you looked at the losi 8 rtr looks kind cool.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

xxx, if you are content to buy a rtr (junk), then i would look into a losi 8T or a koysho str....ofna rtr's are the worst of the rtr junk made IMO....
Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
xxx, if you are content to buy a rtr (junk), then i would look into a losi 8T or a koysho str....ofna rtr's are the worst of the rtr junk made IMO....
The Losi I can agree but the Kyosho? Kyosho has the worst RTR's on the market. The aluminum is paper thin and things like the engine, electronics and linkage are Tyco grade. OFNA have some of the best and most popular RTR's ever.

Get the Hyper ST even though it looks like a square, its better than the STS.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Tech Regular

Iv never owned an rtr before, but I must say that for an RTR I think the hyper st isnt bad at all and I believe it can keep up with the competition. Those plastic shock towers have held up pretty well too, Iv never heard about it breaking yet. My 2 choices would be between the ST or a CRT. just my opinion on the matter
Old 06-04-2007, 04:31 AM
Tech Master

thanks for the replys.

why is rtr always considerd junk? what on this car is so bad it would scare you away from buying it. just keep in mind all the electronics will be changed.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Some people like to build their cars instead of someone across the world do it for them. And they don't know how to fix cars so they have to put it together to be able to fix it. RTR's are ok but I do prefer kits even though I've never had one.

Edit: Some people can't afford kits either, alot more goes into a kit than a RTR. You have to buy every single thing like threadlock, oils, grease, tools, paint, engine, servos, tires, etc...
Old 06-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would say do the following when buying a RTR:

- identify what is different on the RTR versus the team / pro kit
- get info on what parts seem to break most on the RTR and the fix
- Identify the quality of the RTR equipment that comes with the vehicle and its estimated resale of those items
- Plan to due a full teardown

I think part of the reason the CRT RTR people weren't happy with were some flex issues and parts slopping out fast. As for Ofna RTR, I think alot of the issues also deals with some of there use of the steering knuckle setup, I think its the kingpin design, something like that which when made of caste metal instead of something CNC'd is more prone to breakage.

I would say best bet, give the vehicle you are interested a run and speak with those who own it about its pro's and con's.

As for my personal preference, I would probably look into a CEN Matrix TR RTR as my truggy if I did another vehicle. I have there Matrix RTR buggy, and I am quite happy with it. very durable parts, and handles quite well with the right setup. The electronics include aren't bad either and when resold fetch a decent price. They also went to the .28 SH engine which I hear is more powerful and reliable. Its also race proven and doesn't really need anything from the Pro level kit to significantly beef it up. ( usually shock towers are the main RTR item that are weak). And for the price, not a bad deal.

Good luck on whatever you choose!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

annie_himself- thanks for the reply. thats really what im trying to prove to people is that i don't want to buy a high priced kit and have to buy stuff to get it going. i'm only going to race it twice a month at club level.

cain- thanks for the info. it helps.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

I've been trying for a while now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.