Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paulj2
Interesting.

Do you have any in depth info on the conversion such as, weight, run times for high end Li-Po, how complete is the kit, etc? Also, where can a person get the complete conversion kit?

Tony (Tony's Screws), is this the conversion you are experimenting with? If so, how is it working?

I was looking at selling my MBX5R and racing truggy class only, this may change my mind.
Go to this link there you will get all the answers you may ever need.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158327
Old 11-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Djballen
hey how you doing jon...the buggy is working great...its had a makeover with alot of king headz parts and a few new bodies, but in all im very happy with it...
Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Djballen
I appreciate the link. I am wondering about the Novak kit. The link was 78 pages long, I read a couple pages and don't want to read them all.

Does anyone have answers yet about the Novak? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Well, with he RCProductDesigns conversion, you can use up to a 8000mah lipo as I understand it, and it will do easily 30+ minutes on a charge ( I use a 6000mah 4S lipo and it gets 20 - 25 runtime with a Neu motor).
Old 11-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cain
Well, with he RCProductDesigns conversion, you can use up to a 8000mah lipo as I understand it, and it will do easily 30+ minutes on a charge ( I use a 6000mah 4S lipo and it gets 20 - 25 runtime with a Neu motor).
The 30 minutes+ run time caught my attention. By your signature, I see you run an electric MbX5. Can you tell me the difference in weight in a nitro and electric, both ready to put on the track?

Thanks, Paul
Old 11-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default All the info i could get

Convert Your Nitro Buggy to Electric!
Nitro enthusiasts who want to join the brushless revolution can now convert their 1/8th- scale nitro buggy to electric powered using the Novak 1/8th-scale Conversion Kit. Kits are available for various models of Kyosho™, Mugen™ and Ofna™ vehicles, and include all of the necessary components to convert it to brushless power.
Nitro customers who have never run brushless will now experience longer run times, minimal maintenance, low-end torque and control and incredible top speed.
The Novak Conversion Kit is compatible with the Novak #3020 and #3021 HV High-Voltage Brushless Systems, and is available individually or as a combo kit with these systems. The kit includes a Motor Heat Sink and Motor Mount specifically designed for the Novak 550-size HV motors; Two Battery Boxes for dual 2S Li-Po packs or dual 6-cell Ni-MH packs; and a Steering Servo Mount (replaces dual servo mount set-up as the mechanical brakes and brake servo are no longer needed). Kit includes all the necessary Hardware to complete the conversion.
Kyosho™, Mugen™ and Ofna™ are registered trademarks in the U.S. and certain other countries.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

excuse the really stupid question, i been outta racing for about 2 years and really im new to nitro completely.

i bought a mbx5r roller barely used off someone, now buying the rest and piecing together. i think ive covered almost everything except 1 thing, thats the nut that holds the flywheel on... do i have to have the nut specifically for the mugen or can i substitute? i made an order for some clutch parts from carolinas, but forgot the nut! thanks for the help!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've heard its recommended to change the brakes to another brand, does this hold true for the R? The MBX5T Prospec guys at my track told me that the stock brakes don't last too long or start to fade.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I tried using some different nuts, but the Mugen nut works the best. You run into issues with different nuts, more when you trying to shim the flywheel and clutch bell. Also, the nut has the location aligned for the clutch springs tabs to drop into perfectly.

Originally Posted by dgraham225
excuse the really stupid question, i been outta racing for about 2 years and really im new to nitro completely.

i bought a mbx5r roller barely used off someone, now buying the rest and piecing together. i think ive covered almost everything except 1 thing, thats the nut that holds the flywheel on... do i have to have the nut specifically for the mugen or can i substitute? i made an order for some clutch parts from carolinas, but forgot the nut! thanks for the help!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
I've heard its recommended to change the brakes to another brand, does this hold true for the R? The MBX5T Prospec guys at my track told me that the stock brakes don't last too long or start to fade.
im running AVID brakes and they work great...
Old 11-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Paul,

The Novak system mounts the motor in the Nitro motor location and then utilizes two 7.4 volt LiPo packs on each side. It looks like they are using their HV systems. I'm pretty sure they will be offering more options soon than just their 4.5 or 6.5 HV motors. The current Novak HV motors offered have less power and torque than the NeuMotors many guys are running (which may be over-powered....LOL ).

I am using the RC Product Designs conversion that puts the motor opposite the side of the Nitro engine and then uses one single LiPo pack. Most of the guys are running the 14.8 volt 4-cell LiPo packs. The power in a buggy with this pack and a 1512 motor exceeds a modified .28 nitro engine by leaps and bounds. Since this is all new ground we're breaking here it's up to the owners to play with motor & battery combos. When I get my car back from Stephen Bess at R/C Car magazine I may try the smaller & lighter 1509 NeuMotor and the 11.1 volt 3-cell LiPo pack (also smaller and lighter). The less weight should more than make up for the reduced torque of the smaller motor and lower voltage. Plus the car may be a bit more drivable. From my reading and talking to guys it sounds like the combos most are running may be a bit over-powered. So we'll see.

As for weight, they are very comparable to their nitro counterparts. As we get the motors and battery configs dialed in, they will likely get much lighter (especially as this battery technology advances).

They are adding a 1/8th Brushless/LiPo buggy class during the CRCRC MidWest Electric Off-road championships this upcoming Jan 2008. I'll be there along with a slew of other guys. Some of the manufacturers are going to be there as well. If anyone wants to see these cars in action in person, come check them out

Best regards,
Old 11-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I tried using some different nuts, but the Mugen nut works the best. You run into issues with different nuts, more when you trying to shim the flywheel and clutch bell. Also, the nut has the location aligned for the clutch springs tabs to drop into perfectly.
thanks for the reply, that helps! another thing tho.... im missing the flywheel collet.. i ordered the mugen flywheel and the aluminum clutch shoes and 13t bell, but i noticed that it doesnt look like the flywheel comes with the collet... ive searched a few minutes with no luck in finding the mugen collet by itself. will any collet do, say a kyosho? i found one of those by itself...
Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dgraham225
thanks for the reply, that helps! another thing tho.... im missing the flywheel collet.. i ordered the mugen flywheel and the aluminum clutch shoes and 13t bell, but i noticed that it doesnt look like the flywheel comes with the collet... ive searched a few minutes with no luck in finding the mugen collet by itself. will any collet do, say a kyosho? i found one of those by itself...
PM me your address and I will drop a collet and Mugen nut in an envelope on Monday. I have plenty of them.

Paul
Old 11-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
Paul,

They are adding a 1/8th Brushless/LiPo buggy class during the CRCRC MidWest Electric Off-road championships this upcoming Jan 2008. I'll be there along with a slew of other guys. Some of the manufacturers are going to be there as well. If anyone wants to see these cars in action in person, come check them out

Best regards,
Thanks for the response Tony, you are always on top of the new ideas.

I am sure everyone else knows this, but what city is the CRCRC race? If funds allowed, I would love to make the trip from Idaho.

Paul
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

wow, thanks! that will work for me! im new at this, i guess i got a few things to learn, like where to find parts, etc... i really appreciate that tho, pm sent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.