Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi,

Any recommendations on wheels and tires for the 5R?

Our outdoor track in Omaha is made of clay, and is tight, with lots of jumps, humps and table tops. Also, still a little bit rough and bumpy after the rebuilt.

I am running Bow Ties and Crime Figthers on Ofna TrueLite dishes, but the wheels break pretty easily.

What about Mugen, ProLine or Losi dishes?

Thanks a lot,
Frank

Last edited by Starter box; 05-08-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

try these gregory i have 2 washers under each ball end
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GREGORY!
I don't know english very well.so i asked you a fhoto [kind enough]to be sure.i am not so big noob like you think...
never mind..thank you!
i never assumed you were a real noob and how do i know how good your english is? i think you type better than me LOL if you look at the car and look at what is said at some point it should click how it works. doing everything by a picture and having to be shown limits what you learn about the car. there are a few adjustments on my car i myself have never adjusted so i couldnt even tell you what the effects are (changing the front bushing and change the hinge pin plate on front of the rear gear box (i have stock, a 2 and a 3) and the actual positioning of the ball stude in the ackerman arm. lighten up and have some fun. slow coach's camera > my camera LOL
Old 05-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X
Just ordered a mbx5r I want to go with the fiber brake pads which ones are the best?
What else would you change outta the box on an already awesome buggy? Im not going for broke but just need some opinions.

Your 2 cents please.........

Jake
The only other item you want is the longer gray springs (Part # E0529 and E0532) as the 5R ships with the old MBX5 shorter gray springs. They are worth it!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Starter box
Hi,

Any recommendations on wheels and tires for the 5R?

Our outdoor track in Omaha is made of clay, and is tight, with lots of jumps, humps and table tops. Also, still a little bit rough and bumpy after the rebuilt.

I am running Bow Ties and Crime Figthers on Ofna TrueLite dishes, but the wheels break pretty easily.

What about Mugen, ProLine or Losi dishes?

Thanks a lot,
Frank
between proline, panther, werks and mugen rims i never had a bad set. run on a loomy surface though but the jumps are pretty big and there is a light pole to dodge LOL
Old 05-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife
between proline, panther, werks and mugen rims i never had a bad set. run on a loomy surface though but the jumps are pretty big and there is a light pole to dodge LOL
I like the light pole thing
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

mugenlife, where do you race? light pole sounds like fasttraxx indoor that i've seen vids of.also saw some poles in medina's pics.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

stateline. i havent been there this year yet but a set up they had last year if you took a jump wrong you taged a light pole ..it was only like that for a couple weeks. www.statelinerc.com. sometimes people take what i say the wrong way but i mean to sound the way that i do on some topics. there is really no product that i know of that people race that is the end all be all that is perfect (people try saying that all the time and if we achieved that already they wouldnt keep improving and adding hop up parts for every buggy) and there is no real P.O.S. products. for everytime i see someone call something bad i see someone lapping that person with what they said was bad... i just throw coals onto the fire and laugh. two wrongs never make a right but it sure can get entertaining.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

there are SOO POS products on the market....Look at half of what Integy sell's. ..and thats only a drop outta the bucket...cough*RB supercharger*cough
Old 05-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
there are SOO POS products on the market....Look at half of what Integy sell's. ..and thats only a drop outta the bucket...cough*RB supercharger*cough
i know alot of people who use integy stuff. not going to say its the most durable but i have never seen it break without a pretty good cause. ran some integy aluminum on a hopped up rc 18 at 45+++mph onto a cement brick. rb innovations superchargers? maybe but i dont see them out on race day do you? i am mostly talking about major cars that are out by ofna, associated, losi, mugen, crono, ocm, caster, insert buggy name here. engine lines like dynomite that get over looked..i know people will harp one way or the other but i know racers that win with that stuff. i even know someone who runs a couple integy parts on an 8ight and doesnt have any complaints as of yet. YOU know it is integy as soon as you see it too because the shade of blue that it is LOL
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

i have a question for tony. what grade of steel do they use in mugen gears? and why dont they use chromoly (i know they call chromoly steel at times) its lighter than steel and it is good enough to make gears and clutch parts for REAL cars.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mugenlife
i have a question for tony. what grade of steel do they use in mugen gears? and why dont they use chromoly (i know they call chromoly steel at times) its lighter than steel and it is good enough to make gears and clutch parts for REAL cars.
I'm not sure what grade steel they use but I think the heat treatment process is what makes the Mugen gears so durable.

There is a LOT of weight that can be removed from the Mugen to make it as light as any other car, but every extra process costs more money. For the price, it's very hard to beat the MBX5R kit. You get all the CNC machined aluminum hop-ups, a $40+ set of tires/foams and a cool car carrying bag. I'd imagine the next Mugen buggy kit is going to jump up in price due to all the extra work involved in making the car lighter, engineering costs for a new model and the crappy value of the US dollar.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

I was doing some gear changing and had a small ? about the mugen 48t spur. I run an o.s. speed w/ 13t bell dynamite shoe1.0 mugen springs. My ? is this should i even mount the 48t spur or would this be 2 much torque
Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Vsfriedmugan
I was doing some gear changing and had a small ? about the mugen 48t spur. I run an o.s. speed w/ 13t bell dynamite shoe1.0 mugen springs. My ? is this should i even mount the 48t spur or would this be 2 much torque
Most guys I know like the 48T even on good low-end motors like the V-Spec.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
I'm not sure what grade steel they use but I think the heat treatment process is what makes the Mugen gears so durable.

There is a LOT of weight that can be removed from the Mugen to make it as light as any other car, but every extra process costs more money. For the price, it's very hard to beat the MBX5R kit. You get all the CNC machined aluminum hop-ups, a $40+ set of tires/foams and a cool car carrying bag. I'd imagine the next Mugen buggy kit is going to jump up in price due to all the extra work involved in making the car lighter, engineering costs for a new model and the crappy value of the US dollar.
i have light weight pivot balls, some titanium screws (upper), machined a few parts, carbon hinge pins, carbon fiber rear shock mount, and the kings heads steering posts. the machining of the chassis, pivot retaining screws, side mud guards and some of the steel lower screws netted me a weight loss of some where close to 12 grams. i just would like to get it really light (still strong) and then have to add some weight to it to balance it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.