R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #736
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
Has anyone put any super bore sized shocks on there buggies yet? I am willing to spend the time and money to see if the car can benefit from a larger volume shock. I just wanted to know which shocks can be put on the buggy and have the least amount of hassle. I am looking at either buying kyosho or jammin shocks simply because replacement parts are readily available. I am not sure which shock would be close to the mugens as far as shock length. Anybody have any feedback.

im pretty sure either will work...but will be a couple mm longer or shorter either way....2ndly i think u can just use the Mugen shafts in the Jammin big bore's....there all 3.5mm shafts..so it should work.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #737
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Has anyone put any super bore sized shocks on there buggies yet? I am willing to spend the time and money to see if the car can benefit from a larger volume shock. I just wanted to know which shocks can be put on the buggy and have the least amount of hassle. I am looking at either buying kyosho or jammin shocks simply because replacement parts are readily available. I am not sure which shock would be close to the mugens as far as shock length. Anybody have any feedback.
I have a set of Jammin S B B bolted on my 5R. No clearance problems at all, and shock lengths are nearly identical. Setup with 450 mugen oil F/R and silver springs. I used the Jammin lower ball ends, instead of the mugens, the fit is looser, since the ball is narrower(.5mm). Shouldn't be a problem. Will get pics up for reference. I haven't run it yet, due to the cold white stuff all over the place.
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #738
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogboneS View Post
I have a set of Jammin S B B bolted on my 5R. No clearance problems at all, and shock lengths are nearly identical. Setup with 450 mugen oil F/R and silver springs. I used the Jammin lower ball ends, instead of the mugens, the fit is looser, since the ball is narrower(.5mm). Shouldn't be a problem. Will get pics up for reference. I haven't run it yet, due to the cold white stuff all over the place.

cool...goood to hear as a couple buddy's were thinkin on doin the exact same....Thx DogboneS
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 01-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #739
Tech Addict

Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #740
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

DogboneS, those pics are great. What standoffs are you using? And why did you use a cap screw through the front of the standoff? I am guessing due to maybe the need for a really long screw?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #741
Tech Addict

Quote:
DogboneS, those pics are great. What standoffs are you using? And why did you use a cap screw through the front of the standoff? I am guessing due to maybe the need for a really long screw?
The standoffs are the Jammin ones with the shock kit. I used a screw into the front, since these take the beating when on the lid. No threads or nuts to bung up if you use a screw into the standoff. The rear is the standard setup, long screw clear through the standoff, with a nut and washer on the end. I didn't use the boots at the moment, I had fitted RC8 boots to them, but they seem to bunch up and limit full compression.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #742
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Dogbones,
Those tires are the bulldogs right. we have a track around home here which starts off like gravel untill it sweeps off, what kind of track have you run them on. wonder if they would work on this really loose track.
Cheers
Braz
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #743
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braz View Post
Dogbones,
Those tires are the bulldogs right. we have a track around home here which starts off like gravel untill it sweeps off, what kind of track have you run them on. wonder if they would work on this really loose track.
Cheers
Braz
I only ran them a couple runs on a very damp soil track, last season. After a week of rain the track was very moist. We don't have clay in our area, and the track is maintained by the neighboring gravel pit. I had too much traction on a short track that day, went back to atomics as the track began to dry. I did like the fact that the tires didn't load up. If your track is long and smooth, you may enjoy the bite they offer.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 AM   #744
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi mugen drivers! would just like to say that i drive my mbx5r for the first time on the weekend at our club and all i can say is why didn't i ever have one before! I hadn't run a buggy for over 12 months as i drive truggy in the last season and for my very first qualifying round i got first(most of the top drivers were in the other heat). i qualified 6th for the amain and in our first final i blew a glow plug with about 3 or 4 laps to go, bummer! But in the second final i was having a massive battle for second position, i manage to get him in front and grab second by a couple of seconds!

Anyway just thought i would share my first time experience with a mugen buggy!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #745
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Has anyone used the Xtreme racing carbon fiber shock tower? How did you like or not like it? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10861
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #746
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo61 View Post
Has anyone used the Xtreme racing carbon fiber shock tower? How did you like or not like it? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10861
Not sure about them, but the silver SSG from the helicopter side of the hobby is not as strong as the black carbon fiber.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #747
Tech Adept

quick question, what servos are you guys using for the steering and throttle? I just switched from the airtronics 360 high speed for the steering to a 9000z jr digital high speed in my mbx5r, any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #748
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Not sure about them, but the silver SSG from the helicopter side of the hobby is not as strong as the black carbon fiber.

98% of rc grade CF is SSG....and IMO shoud'nt even be consider'd CF.....its laminated sheets of crap with a sticker of CF laminated on top......IMO JUNK....i would'nt trust that stuff on tower's...guarenteed to delaminate or Split on a hard impact...and considering the front tower is basically open to the elements...i would be weery.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #749
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm currently running 7-7-3 with everything else stock setup except for my shocks 1 hole inward on the tower front and rear. This setup seems very good on our track which is usually loose but on power in and exiting corners I think the rear breaks loose too easily but it is predictable. I'm usually sliding around every turn. I would just like to stick the rear a little better, would 7-7-2 be a good place to start ?
KyJoe340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #750
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
98% of rc grade CF is SSG....and IMO shoud'nt even be consider'd CF.....its laminated sheets of crap with a sticker of CF laminated on top......IMO JUNK....i would'nt trust that stuff on tower's...guarenteed to delaminate or Split on a hard impact...and considering the front tower is basically open to the elements...i would be weery.
SSG is silver surface graphite, not carbon fiber, but strips of graphite that weaved into the carbon fiber to give the silver look. This is what weakens it. Regular black carbon fiber will generally be stronger and I do have this on my Kyosho with no issues. Yes it can break, but at 4mm plus, it is still strong. My friends Losi 8ight has it with no problems. He broken front ends parts off the car and the towers are fine. The RC8 uses them also everywhere, and my friend has broken also all the front ends parts so far and they are still fine. He actually hung it by the tower on wall during a triple jump and its fine.