still need the shock towers and the front uprights
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #587
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12a_rx2 View Post
hey guys just wondering what the differences are between the "R" spec car and the old MBX5.

i have an MBX5 which i am thinking about up grading to an "R" spec but yeh not sure on which parts i need.

i think that if i get all the things in the following links it should be enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUGEN-MBX5R-PROS...QQcmdZViewItem

Shock towers are the main thing missing. You can use your old knuckles. One thing, on the steering, you will need 2 more items, the steering links and the larger 4mm steering pivot balls. The steering set on Ebay only comes with 2. Trust me, I did my whole upgrade from these Ebay sellers. Also, chassis needs to be changed or grind the front section to allow more front arm droop clearance. Other than that, the chassis are exactly the same. If your center diff housing is stripped put, get the brake and center housings also from the Ebay sellers.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #588
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMIT View Post
standard set up except long grey springs, spacers to level arms (2mm). Im going to try no spacers if that doesnt work I'm back to standard springs.

Tim
If the no spacers still doens't work, they move the shocks inwards on the shock towers and try outer on the arms if not installed there already. This will dampen more.
I'm trying my original setup again and then trying some Reckward Progressive springs on the R chassis now and see how well they work. They worked so good in my WC, my friend wants them for is SP2 K car now!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #589
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does any one know what the biggest batteries that will fit into the MBX5R and where is a good place to get them. Thanks.
steve blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #590
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

A 5-cell AA pack should fit in the X5 battery box. Several companies sell them pre-made including Mugen.

As to the R conversion I feel like the shocks and shock towers are the critical parts. Everything else is fine tuning parts. I do not run full droop on my car so the new arms are not 100% necessary to me. The front lower hinge pin plate is slighty different (lower on the R) and the ackermann holes are like 1.5holes off from the original ackermann. The new servo saver is a lot easier to adjust and probably makes the car more responsive off center but I do not know if it really makes the car faster.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #591
Tech Adept

Thanks
steve blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #592
Tech Adept

Here is a vid of my first race with the mugen (bounce bounce bounce)

I had about 15min of track time with the MBX5R before this race.

Blue with orange wheels.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pdaKxXsxVzA
OBMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #593
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to 12a_rx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Shock towers are the main thing missing. You can use your old knuckles. One thing, on the steering, you will need 2 more items, the steering links and the larger 4mm steering pivot balls. The steering set on Ebay only comes with 2. Trust me, I did my whole upgrade from these Ebay sellers. Also, chassis needs to be changed or grind the front section to allow more front arm droop clearance. Other than that, the chassis are exactly the same. If your center diff housing is stripped put, get the brake and center housings also from the Ebay sellers.
alright thanks i thought i did put the shock towers in there.

do i need both or is just the front?

do the parts in these link give me the rest of the parts i need. appart from the chassis?

Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #594
Tech Elite

Quote:
alright thanks i thought i did put the shock towers in there.

do i need both or is just the front?

do the parts in these link give me the rest of the parts i need. appart from the chassis?

That would be the rest of the parts, but you're missing the R tierods.Unless you're running the stock tierods with 3mm pivot balls instead of the R with 4mm pivot balls. Look at the steering set in the Ebay auction. You'll see two of the four 4mm steering pivot balls. I don't know what auction has them but I bought from about 3-4 Ebay sellers for all the parts. If you want the longer springs, then get the options parts grey springs. The R springs are the same as the MBX5.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #595
Tech Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to dgraham225

ok, got a question i havent seen covered yet...

for the guy with a new mbx5r, what parts should be kept on hand most often? i plan to make an order from carolinas sometime this week, but i dont wanna waste a bunch of money all in the same week for some parts that may be good for another 3-4 months easy? whats the weak points on the car that i should have an extra or two? thanks!
dgraham225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #596
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to 12a_rx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
That would be the rest of the parts, but you're missing the R tierods.Unless you're running the stock tierods with 3mm pivot balls instead of the R with 4mm pivot balls. Look at the steering set in the Ebay auction. You'll see two of the four 4mm steering pivot balls. I don't know what auction has them but I bought from about 3-4 Ebay sellers for all the parts. If you want the longer springs, then get the options parts grey springs. The R springs are the same as the MBX5.
Thanks for the help

alrght would these be the tie rods i need. they look the same as the set i got only the black parts look a litle differnt, can i just get them instead of the titanium part aswell?

and ahh in the auction with the pivot balls i can see 4 in there unless im looking at the wrong thing lol

now looking at what each of the auctions is at this is gona cost me over 200 US lol
Old 12-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #597
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

not really any weak spots..

but, wouldnt hurt to have a set of arms, and a fuel tank

and some DACE pillow balls of course
Old 12-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #598
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the help

alrght would these be the tie rods i need. they look the same as the set i got only the black parts look a litle differnt, can i just get them instead of the titanium part aswell?

and ahh in the auction with the pivot balls i can see 4 in there unless im looking at the wrong thing lol

now looking at what each of the auctions is at this is gona cost me over 200 US lol
Those are the rear arms only and not for steering. The auction I won included those and the steering links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUGEN-MBX5R-TITA...ayphotohosting

This is the steering with the other two 4mm pivot balls included. One thing, when I was purchasing these parts off Ebay, the prices were alot less than what I am seeing now. PM me if you need some help find better prices.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #599
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6 View Post
hey guys, this is my 1st post on this thread. i recently got a mbx5r loaded with all king stuff except from and rear shock towers.

i did not get a clutch for the guy. can some of you suggest what clutch to use for this car. not sure to buy the mugen setup, or an aftermarket version

The M2RC racing shoes and 4 shoe flywheel is the ticket.!!!...some nice innovative stuff.. done before AE did it.. easy to get springs.. and the staff will help in a second they support truggyracers.com you can get direct answers to Q+A on the forums.. and there support is second to none!!...
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #600
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Mid-Mugen

I've seen alot of euro drivers running M-Mod hop ups on their Mugens and would like to try a few of their parts. Does anyone know of a seller in the US that is importing their stuff? There are no links on there web site as to where to get the parts.
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote