Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone ever had a problem with the centre spur gear binding really bad on the drivecup/shaft? Mine binds so bad i cant turn it with my hand and effectively locks up the centre diff
Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Question... Maybe someone can help who's been in a similar situation.

I haven't raced indoors in quite some time but went Sunday and had a riot.

To the Columbus or Leisure Hours guys, does anyone have a really good setup I could try? I'm open to suggestions and trying new things. I'm currently running the Schwartz setup and did a few changes to get the car to rotate better but it only made the car loose in high speed entries. Seemed like I was really losing out in corner speed the entire mains. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by FrankBlack
Anyone ever had a problem with the centre spur gear binding really bad on the drivecup/shaft? Mine binds so bad i cant turn it with my hand and effectively locks up the centre diff
Did you forget to grease the outdrive shaft when you built the diff? If so, that is the problem. They should be lubed generously with grease before assembly.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Yep i greased them well per instruction manual. I just tried another drive cup and its differenatly the spur gear thats the problem. The way it is now no amount of grease is goin to get it to spin freely.

Last edited by FrankBlack; 11-26-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have a quick question. My Mugen was running the -1 lower front rear brace on the control arms. What will -2 or 0 offer in terms on steering on and off power? It had the E0112 lower front brace and now has the E0141 installed, so I am deciding what to use now that its out. The car was a prospec setup but now is full R. Car had on power steering, and lost alot off power.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paulj2
Did you forget to grease the outdrive shaft when you built the diff? If so, that is the problem. They should be lubed generously with grease before assembly.
Grease did not work for me. I had to polish the outdrive and the inside of the gear to get it to stop seizing up.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

I have contacted mugen about this issue and they are in the process of sorting it out now, great support.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

cwalters - I would need your whole setup to make suggestions. I ran the following at a smaller high traction indoor track and it worked well for me. It is a little twitchy but that was what was needed to be fast on this particular track.

Front upper arm high block and bushing. 1mm shim in front of arms and the rest behind.
lower arm all the way back.
shocks out one hole from center in tower and outside on arm.
5k front diff oil. stock swaybar
middle hole in ackerman plate. 0 block for front lower hinge pins. 0 to 1 degree toe out.

7k center diff oil with TTR option brakes

5k rear diff oil. stock swaybar
inside hole on hubs for the camber link and middle hole on the shock tower. Hubs all the way back and use the upper hinge pin hole.
2 degrees rear toe (use 2.25 or 2.5 if needed for more rear traction)
2 degrees antisquat
shocks in middle hole on shock tower and outside on arm.

shocks 400 front and 350 rear with the longer grey springs. -2 camber all the way around.

Limit droop some front and rear. It should be close to what the Prospec had stock so quite a bit less than max droop on the 5r. Rear ride height bones level, front level or slightly below level.

Last but not least you must have the right tires and foam inserts. If the track requires M3 you need M3. If it requires Panther clay compound you need the clay compound.

ezveedub - The -1 block has more kickup than -2 but less than the 0. The E0141 also takes away kickup. I would suggest trying the 0 block. It should give you more turn in.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Mugen are sending me replacements parts, awesome support, you cant beat that.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankBlack
Mugen are sending me replacements parts, awesome support, you cant beat that.
good to hear...im thankful ive never had to find out if mugen had good support, but i have heard from alot of guys that they do...
Old 11-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
LiPo packs are not "non" maintainance. They do require a specific charger, you must not allow them to drop below specific voltage PER cell, you must balance the charge and they are unstable if improperly charged or gets hit by another car on the track. If the pack bubbles, its gone! Would hate to see your car go up in flames! Stack up buying more than one GOOD lip pack and the price is through the roof. One pack will not do. Trust me, I own a few electric Helicopters, after a while, electric gets expensive too.

I completely agree that you have to be careful with LiPo packs (just like you should be with other types of batteries). They do require proper handling and charging as well as monitoring. But with a little consumer education they're fairly easy to maintain. I will also own more than one LiPo pack, but for the sake of comparing costs, you technically only need one and many guys running these conversions only have one pack. You will also need a charger for your starter box batteries, Rx batteries and Tx batteries so I did not include the cost of a special charger and balancer as they cost about the same.

Best regards,
Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
I was on here because I was curious about a couple things about the R. My mind was already made up to keep the Losi, but I also wanted to try something else at the same time. BTW, its not just the brakes that bug me on the R, its also that the inner hinge pins re not captured and the others that I have mentioned. About your comment with the orings, I assume you can buy them separate? I usually change orings and diff seals (with the Losi) after every race anyway as they are cheap, even though I have never really seen a need to. I just like the extra insurance. Same with the shock orings, but if the shock boot tore, a little dirt usually finds its way to the orings...

I know I want a Mugen, but I found the right choice for me is to wait and see whats next. I really do like some of the designs on the Mugen, and like I said before, it handles just like any pro grade buggy should. Who knows, maybe Ill just get the itch and go buy one anyway...
inner hinge pins arent going anywhere on this car....they are beefy and are screwed together lol. VS an 8 i would say that the mugen handles the rough better and can legitimately not have to take it as careful through those sections. you might not find it as nimble but once you figure its tendancies you can put the car anywhere you want it ....guys tried telling me that wasnt true then i found out about rounded molded foams and bow ties lol...be it a "new car" or not it is still a fact that it can run with the other cars competitively. people say that it was getting beat at worlds warm up badly but it was still in second place vs 100's of other cars and it finished the race in first. that car iirc had over 2 hours of track time that day as well. there is no "best" car but some cars are better for a driver be it costs/repairs/performance tendancies.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife
inner hinge pins arent going anywhere on this car....they are beefy and are screwed together lol.
My complaint was that they are not captured. I do not like the locknuts, nor would I want to use needle nosed pliers to grab onto them just to remove the hinge pins, and I do not want to use E clips like some have mentioned.

And yes, we all know how well this has been doing in the pro AND club racing scene. I never disputed that.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

geez guys layoff reznclowds...the guys was trying to get some info, and ill almost bet you that when the 6 comes rezn will consider picking one up...
Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
geez guys layoff reznclowds...the guys was trying to get some info, and ill almost bet you that when the 6 comes rezn will consider picking one up...
lol im not bashing him at all but depending how you look at it that would be like going to the 8ight thread asking about it then saying something negitive about it without even knowing anything about it....lol im not that board to do that lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.