R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-18-2007, 05:58 AM   #196
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've been running the Mugen since July 2004. It has been through many running changes and Mugen will continue to do so to improve their products.

I have had the MBX5, MSR conversion, MBX5 ProSpec, MBX5T ProSpec and MBX5R. I have only broken three parts ever on all of them over the last 3 years. One was an axle on my MSR conversion. The long wheel extenders with 1/2" offset wheels and heavy MT tires available back then were in no doubt the cause. The second was a rear lower arm but I hit a 4x4 post that would have tore any arm off any car. I was at the track on a non-race day bashing. The third part was a Generation 3 front lower arm. The original arms on my first MBX5 had maybe 8 gallons on them and I decided to try the new arms since they had the cut out for additional steering. Ran 3 laps and landed bad off a triple and broke the arm. Put back on the old arm and ran it for the rest of the season.

Shock shafts will break if you don't thread them on all the way. They may feel tight, but you may tear the skin off your thumb getting them on a few extra turns...LOL. When assembled correctly, the top of the piston nut will be about flush with the top of the shock body.

On the diffs, I've ran the stock o-rings, my over-sized o-rings, one gasket and two gaskets and never had a leak. Personally, I like the doubled up gaskets better now since the diff feels smoother. But the key is in the screws used to hold on the ring gears or spur gear and the use of the right grease. Mugen uses a too short 3x8mm flat head. You need to use at least a 3x12mm flat head. I finally measured the diff cups and you can use up to a 3x15mm flat head with no issues. These will have better holding power so you can torque them down tighter so they don't leak on the gaskets. On the o-rings, you have to make sure you grease the heck out of them and the outdrives before assembly. Use the Mugen SuperGrease or Mobil 1 synthetic grease (comes in a tube that will last you forever). Maxima also sells a grease too that you can get at any motorcycle shop. The Mobil 1 is the cheapest and easier to find.

The only upgrade that I see necessary are the brakes. I don't run the pads and use the Thunder Tiger option discs (I believe the part number is PD1861). The MBX5R comes with aluminum chassis braces. I like the old threaded rod braces that give it more flex.

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #197
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I have g-10 rotors if anyone is interested.

I also ran 8 gallons through my first car , the first gen x5 and recall breaking maybe 1 or 2 arms on that thing. The arms on the 5r have absolutely no flex to them.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #198
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i havent broken an arm yet in half a season..and that includes running it with a glitchy reciever that caused it to do some really weird things while in the air landing on 1 wheel, on its top ,bicycle type landings...... not a small jump either. the car would get 5-7 feet high.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #199
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
Crash- the diffs do leak and there are some different o-rings that you can get.

Ownership of the 5r was brief. I broke 5 arms and bent 4 front inner hinge pins in 2 races no doubt due to the stiffer plastic that Mugen now uses ( though they deny it)

Did the car handle good? Yes. You can throw it into a corner and power out of it with confidence. Dont' run full droop as the cvd's chatter quite a bit. The threaded hinge pins look nice but are a pita when it comes time to change diff fluids. The plastic bushings can be a pita also when trying to get them into the braces.

You do get alot for the money ( tires, bag, toe blocks, etc.) though.

I'm glad it's gone and look forward to my new ride ( 8) which when I first put on the track could not believe how twitchy it was compared to the Mugen.
thats a lot of information from a person who has owned the car for a said brief period.

Tony, thanks for clearing everything up and giving us correct information!

mugenlife you have pm
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #200
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i race at the same tracks as XrayEddy and have not broken a single thing....and i am consistantly in the top 5. Braking hingepins? Jesus.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #201
Tech Master

never broke a hinge pin here not even a bent one
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #202
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

anyone have any info on the Castrol fully synthetic grease? good or bad
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 AM   #203
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3 View Post
i race at the same tracks as XrayEddy and have not broken a single thing....and i am consistantly in the top 5. Braking hingepins? Jesus.

The hinge pins bent. Top 5, where? Oh, you mean the 1/18 races on Friday night against the little kids running their MiniT's.

Where you at Monster Madness? RCDriver ROC? Madness BBQ Bash? Rome, NY ? What's your real name because I have no clue who you are. Laquan hasn't broken anything either and I'm a hell of alot faster than him.

OS power- yeah I owned the car for a short period of time, but this isn't my first car either. As I said, I ran my first x5 ( over 3 years ago) for about 8 gallons and the only problems I had with that car were the front hinge pin brace and the ackerman plate, both of which were known weak spots.

Iv'e talked to a few other people and they havent' broken anything either. I'm just going to chock it up as bad luck.

You can't dispute the fact that the plastic is stiffer than the older cars.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #204
Tech Addict

im not going to start a cock-measuring contest....but no, i wasnt at those races, nor do I care to ever go to Madness...i will go to Wolcott.

And the only Ed i saw in the results for those races was in the D-Main...at the ROC.

Ed Bridges?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #205
Tech Elite

Top 5 At RCE when only 5 people are racing?

Ed? Who's Ed?

Back to the car. I'll chock it up as having really bad luck. I broke more arms and bent more hinge pins on this one car than I have in ALL of my 1/8 buggies. I've never seen a hinge pin bend either until this car, and I was taken aback when I first found it. But to have it happen 4 times. And not just the threaded ones either, but some e-clip ones from I believe a Kyosho ( given to me by Les at Wolcott).
Old 07-20-2007, 06:06 AM   #206
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

http://www.medialpro.com/ce.html

Scroll down to Kris Moore's interview. Sound's like Mugen will release a new car next year.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #207
Tech Master

one thing i will say for sure is i dont think there is a kit i have seen that had good screws in it (meaning they last more than 2 or 3 assemblies lol)
Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #208
Tech Addict

nice find DavidKa

that right there deserves its own thread!!!!

I can't wait to see what Mugen has instore....
Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
http://www.medialpro.com/ce.html

Scroll down to Kris Moore's interview. Sound's like Mugen will release a new car next year.

nice work!!!!
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #210
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Thanks but I can't take the credit, I lifted it from another guy's post on Sgrid.com.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote