R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Cleaning Dirt out of engine - Please Help !!

I got dirt in the motor through the filter, got off a jump and started to roll and the filter came lose, then suck few grains of sand in, it died after that.

Now my qeustion is wat is the best way to clean the motor and how do I check for damage.

If it is any help it is a HPI 3.0 .18 engine.

Thank you.
Danie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I had this very problem at the track yesterday. I was about to go home crying, lol. Life in general, I rarely let things get to me. But this has happened a few times before. I blew up a brand new RB S72 once...Anyway, I removed the head, button, back plate, and carb. I used Trinity Nitro Blast to spray the inside of the carb. Then I turned the crank so the opening was facing where the carb would go. I sprayed through the crank towards the back of the engine. Next, I brought the piston to BDC, so I could see the exhaust port looking through the top of the engine and sprayed through the top, and out the exhaust. Lastly, I coated everything with after run oil and re-assmebled. Put in a new glo plug, and finished all this up just in time to begin the next heat.Engine ran perfect and I finished 3rd. This qual'd me for 7th in the A. Engine ran awesome for the full 20 min main

In the future, be sure to use a zip tie around the bottom of the filter to hold it to the base of the carb...I had forgotten to replace it when I was working on the engine the night before, so it fell off during my second heat.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Default Thank you!!

Thanks, going to try that tonight.

And congrats on the placing!!

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Talking

hey danie , pull the whole engine apart !! as dirt that enters the engine basically turns into sandpaper in an instant . getting all the dirt out will be difficult as it can hide on the backside of the rear main bearing be sure to thoroughly clean out with either denatured alcohol and a spray bottle (better and cheaper than nitro blast ) or nitro blast . if you arent comfortable taking the engine apart , ask your local hobby shop if they can do it (nominal fee im sure ) or a fellow good guy racer in your area.
good luck bro ,
Monty Houston
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I thougt off that and tried it last night but how do Iget the crank of the flywheel?I tried but its stuck, and i don't want to use force.

And if everything is out how do I check the bearing and the rest for damage?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

IMO Electric Motor spray/brake cleaner is not the best for nitro engines, but I see it used all the time. I use denatured alchohol and fuel to clean engines. I use denatured alchohol to clean external casing and head. Disasemble like suggested then by using fuel initially to wash off parts. You will be cleaning your engine with nitro that will evaporate and leave a oily residue from the oil in the fuel. This is a good thing especially around the O rings on the carb and the carb needle(s) area you dont want motor spray. These parts need to stay moisturized, and motor spray will dry out rubber seals. After cleaning internals reassemble and add after run, make sure oil gets all the way down to bearings. Just my .02cents
BananaWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Once you get the clutch and split cone off the crank use the handle of a screwdriver to tap the backside of the flywheel. It worked for me.
JEracing is offline   Reply With Quote