R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Wink

Someone figured it out. Raytech, Fluke and Exergen are all precisely calibrated devices made by companies that have performance oriented standards to adhere to. They have to stake their reputation on the performance of their products. That is why they are so expensive.
They all work equally as well for our application.
I use the Raytech mini temp and have for years.
Joe uses Raytech's big version. This is the one that ended up being the Fluke model.
A lot of guys around us use the Exergens.
Guess what??.... They all read a little different.

Get you a temp device that is solid and measure it against one of these guns. Do it a few times a year against the same gun just to ensure it is reading stable. If it stays close then you will be fine. 5, 10 or even 15 degrees does not make that much difference in what we do.

Tune correctly and you will be OK. You will soon learn to tune each motor with feel and smoke. The Temp gun should just be insurance.

You can get real good ones for $40 - $50. Otherwise, if cost is no object, go ahead and get you a nice one. The Exergen beats the others out in my book because it is made bullet proof. We are not mechanics. We beat our stuff to death.

TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I use my FLIR E-45 thermal Imager. Accurate to 1/10 degree F and after the photo is snapped I have 19,200 locations that I can pull a temp from (motor, servos, exhaust anything in photo). Plus the pics look wicked.

Chuck
Chuck67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

the Odonelle one kicks butt!!!!!! i love the fact u can turn off the motor with the temp gun its pretty nice
Old 09-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to savage.25

i have a temp guage that wraps around the head but i've never used it. sometimes if i go over to a friends house he will put his temp gun on my truck and see what the temp is. we were ripping it around one day and when he put the temp gun to it read 400 degrees F. whoa betsy.... lets shut this thing off for a few mins shall we? hehe... ya but i dont really use a temp gun, but i figure im running between 275F and 320F. which is hotter than i want to be but i run a tank at a time so it has time to cool.
savage.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I'm guessing you get about a gallon max out of yer mills? LOL.
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #36
Tech Regular

What abuot Pro Exotics PE-1 and PE-2? Are those any good? They're $25 and $45 accordingly.

I'm not expecting the same $250 Exergen quality, but as long as it's still decent...
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #37
Tech Elite

I use a friend "How hot do you think the motor is? Stick your fingers on the head.." After touching the motor, they say "Ohhh S@#T!!" within 1 sec, its about 350+. Otherwise, I pull out my old Raytec.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #38
Tech Apprentice

I would think this would be known, but there is a degree of accuracy associated with all these guns. The one I have for work is +/-2% or 4*F. So if you are comparing two guns that are at opposite ends of that accuracy band you will have two perfectly good units that will read 8*F difference.

New R/C coming soon
racer12306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default My 2 Cents

I've used infared non contact sensors in many forms of auto racing, in data acquisition and calibration. so when using these "temp guns" a few points of concern should be considered that seem to be over looked. A D:S ratio is usually listed with the specs. This means that the distance from the heated object to the tip of the sensor, there is a spread, and the sensor displays the AVERAGE of that area, the Snap-On spec is a 30 to 1, which means at 30 inches you'll read the average of 1 inch area. If your closer to the heated object the smaller the area, which is great, but if you use the laser dot and point it at the glow plug, you'll get a bad reading. If you look at the gun tip, the laser comes from the top of the gun and the infared sensor is on the bottom, so if you point the laser at the top of the glow plug, your actually reading the side of the head. I usually sweep across the center of the of the head and take the highes of the readings.
The Snap-On gun is also a rebadged gun, theres really only a few companies that make these units, its really hard to tell nowdays. I have several of these high end infared units and have A-B comparisons and all have good and bad points. The Exergen is a good unit but I've comparied it to a Pro Exotics PE-3 and found it to =/- 3 degrees, on a calibrated black wall. There is also an emmisitivety value that needs to be looked at.
My 2 cents might be too much for some, but I've learned that I now tune the motor by smoke, listen to motor responce, then do a temp check
akiyama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #40
Tech Apprentice

I just scored an Extech from work because it failed calibration. It's only a few degrees off so it should work fine for my R/C's.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but Fluke just released the Fluke 62 which is a mini IR thermometer that retails around $80. "Cheap" and plus its Fluke, so you know its good.

New R/C coming soon
Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice

Heres a couple ebay links of the ones I was going to try to get, until I got the freebe. These are for the Fluke 62. $0.99 opening bid and 2 days left to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-IN-BOX-FLUKE...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fluke-116-62-hva...QQcmdZViewItem

If you just type Fluke 62 into the ebay search, a few will pop up.

New R/C coming soon
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #42
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Last big race I was at I did talk to a few of the Pro's motor guys about this very subject and what i was told was..A temp gun is only for reference NOT for tuning, I was told that that their are way to many variables to rely on just temperature to tune your motor. And not all the pros used a high dollar temp gun either, I go by smoke, feel (does it bog off idle..etc)..and my motor has 10 gallons through it..so I know what I'm doing is somewhat correct on tuning. I do keep a log on my motor though..I do write the conditions (ambient temp, humid or not, adjustments to motor, and temp) It helps me to know where to start when i'm at a new track. So to me if all I'm using a temp gun for is reference..why does it matter if one reads a few degrees higher or lower than another..and why would i pay $250+ for a temp gun when a $40 dollar gun works..i'm not tuning my motor by temperature..so does it really matter that much..
Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

My question is when your checking your tempature where are you aiming. Top of the cooling head. Inside the cooling head by the glowplug. side of the motor? I see so many doing it differently I want to know where is the correct spot?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the O'Donnell temp guns are great
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #45
Tech Apprentice

Where exactly do you point the temp gun to take the temp?

I just put it right over the hole where you put the glow igniter, basically the heat of the head. is that a good place?