Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever mix and match P/S sets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default anyone ever mix and match P/S sets?

i have 2 worn out P/S sets. But when i swap the pistons they have a pretty good fit.

Is it possible for this to work? I don't see why not. It can see it will have really good compression, maybe even pinch but have not installed them yet.

but has anyone ever tried this?

And to be more acurate i have a sleeve that is less worn the fits really well with a piston from a completely worn out sleeve.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Well it is the piston that wears faster than the sleeve, that's why ultimately why sleeve pinching works. You're shrinking the sleeve down to the size of the piston. If the fit is right it should work just fine, I would run that motor rich for two or three tanks to be safe.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
i have 2 worn out P/S sets. But when i swap the pistons they have a pretty good fit.

Is it possible for this to work? I don't see why not. It can see it will have really good compression, maybe even pinch but have not installed them yet.

but has anyone ever tried this?

And to be more acurate i have a sleeve that is less worn the fits really well with a piston from a completely worn out sleeve.
yeah, give it a try cant hurt much.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

like what is the worst that could happen, it not work? or it blow? well if blows its like oh well it was two worn out engines anyways. i took a C6 that hade a ruined crank case and put it in a GRP crank case that had a bad rod, crank, and piston/sleeve. it ran ok i actually ran it at the track one day, but it blew at the house when i was trying to get some more bottom out of it, i just laughed and said oh well atleast i tried to make a running engine out of two broken ones.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Don't tell any body but all my race engines are rematches

As long they are in good shape with no scratching you will be fine , just don't get it too tight I can tell you that from experience yes
Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

I see houston eyeing this up.....he would be the guy to comment on this ...like to hear his input on this one.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston

As long they are in good shape with no scratching you will be fine , just don't get it too tight I can tell you that from experience yes
Agreed! I only wish you could buy pistons separately. Hell you could probably get a couple rebuilds out of one sleeve if you could put new pistons in it.

So yeah dreaux, you can do that just fine! But be careful like Monty said. You don't want to get it too tight! That can cause some problems.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston

Well im glad of that, just gave a younger just getting into 1/8 buggy my old GO 5port and with my sleeve and piston out of a 7 port ...same year...told him he should be able to swap if he needed a 7 port for his buggy but wasent 1oo% sure.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

i have another odd question. If you are looking through the exhaust port and watching the piston go up sleeve you see a couple tiny bubles just for a second. is that normal? I hardly ever look through the exhaust port anymore. I has a crap ton of compression, but maybe they have scratches?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
i have another odd question. If you are looking through the exhaust port and watching the piston go up sleeve you see a couple tiny bubles just for a second. is that normal? I hardly ever look through the exhaust port anymore. I has a crap ton of compression, but maybe they have scratches?
that's normal. It's just oil bubbling.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I've have mixed piston and sleeve sets for a while. I also have the tools to expand a sleeve to fit a piston that is bigger. I still charge the same as pinching a sleeve. ($15.00)

Rex
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
that's normal. It's just oil bubbling.
thanx jammin. I thought so.

If you only knew what i really did. But i will never tell
Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Tech Lord

If the engines are bought at the same time you can give it a try. If not then there is a chance different materials are used and so the expansion rate of the piston and sleeve would not match.

I have played with it in the past but the results were mostly a bad running engine or a fast wear on the piston. You will be more save with pinching with the result you will have 2 working P/S sets
Old 04-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I swapped p/s on an old sportwerks.26 It was real tight, so I re-broke the motor in. Ran it on the rich side for the first gallon but as soon as I got it leaned out(240 range), it shot the rod out the side of the case. To me it was funny as hell and it made real cool sound when it blew. If i was to do it again I would go with pinching.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

First of all you must make sure you have a piston from another p/s set that is the same as what you are rematching to. You can't take a novarossi piston and put it in an OS engine or whatever ( btw that would never work and was thrown out ther just for example )

I rematch from novarossi , almost all the pistons are the same aside from a few engines that have different bore/stroke ratios . If done properly this method yields the perfect p/s set , trust me .

I am in no way telling you guys to go out and rematch until your hearts content but never be afraid to try something if you think its logical .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.