Old 05-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I love mine, I had one in my REVO

Cheers
Old 05-28-2007, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Unless they have changed their element foam from what it was 5 years ago, a motor saver filter won't catch the really fine particles. I'm sure they are OK for on road racing or banging around the yard/street in front of your house, but for your typical dusty off road race track they just don't get the job done. One of the local shops started pushing them real hard to racers about 5 years ago and dirt in the filter tube was the rule rather than the exception for those who bought them. The photos above look pertty close to what I found in mine after a day of racing my XXX-NT and my element was oiled. For dusty conditions a disposable foam 2 stage filter is the best bet by far.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Yup I oiled the foam. trust me.. I was concerned about it when I put it in there because it didn't seem like it was as dense of foam as the stock filter so I REALLY oiled it.
It didn't come with a pre filter. For the t maxx or revo 2.5 r it doesn't have one. Although on the MS website it says there is room to add one. http://www.motorsaver.com
Guess I should look at the website before I use a product and see what they say. I assumed since it was a filter made specifically for my engine that there would be no problem. Live and learn.

Last edited by JEracing; 05-28-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

I contacted Motor Saver... and they have reviewed the postings and pictures here on RCtech and they emailed me back and are very concerned with the issue I have. I'll be sending the filter and housing to them for them to examine and test. They are even sending me the postage paid box to send it in. They are also helping to off set some of the cost of the rebuild as well as replacing my filter. So if they are a company who will stand behind their product in this way, they are a company who I believe deserves a second chance.
I am currently rebuilding my 2.5R and when it's done, I will try a Motor Saver filter on it, albeit with a pre filter as well as the inner foam.

Just wanted to put this with my original post because if they are gonna make this right, I will as well.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

glad to hear they are working with you to figure things out (now thats great customer service).....
Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
or im my case i use 2 O-rings ....
Hi, may i know where to put the 2 o-ring you mention? Can shot a pic to show. Another one is what is moter sever? Thanks. I am newbie.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

i found this filter sucked years ago and not just me many other ppl too
Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Why waste your time with a rebuild???

You can exchange your 2.5 with a 3.3 for half price with the exchange of your fried engine. Just look on the Traxxas site.

Its the best bet and most power upgrade that you can do for the money.

If they are willing to help with the cost of the rebuild, they should be willing to help with the cost of the exchange.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Initiate

The cost of the exchange to a 3.3 with a 2.5 or 2.5R core is $130, exchange a 2.5R for a 2.5R is $100.
Piston and sleeve was $54, and I did the rebuild in an hour this morning, runs like it used to, I ran the first 5 tanks of the break in today, I'll finish tomorrow.
I also bought a 3.3 and got it on friday, bought it from tower, and got it for about $135 with an ad coupon#, plus still have the 2.5R to possibly exchange at a later date. I wanted to put the 3.3 in it today but decided to do the rebuild and break it in first. Didn't put the motor saver filter on it tho
I'll wait and get the replacement and the outer foam pre filter. Still kinda sketchy about using it but I'll give it a shot.

I don't use o rings tho, I use small zip ties, they're cheap and easy to cut off and zip a new one on there.

And tkhoo the o rings or zip ties go on the base of the rubber tube where it seats on the carb, and on the Motor Saver filter you need on on the top and bottom of the tube, one to hold the tube to the filter housing and one to hold the tube on the carb.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Motorsaver filters have one big flaw and that is the end where the elbow attachs only has the pressure of the foam pressing against it to stop dirt from getting in. Most filter housings wrap around the ends of the foam sealing out dirt. The only thing that will stop dirt from bypassing the filter is to grease the end where the elbow is to create a seal between the foam and the housing.

I think its great they are helping you out but I would never use those filters again. I had 3 of them a while back and one of them allowed dirt into an engine so I sold them all. I was using the proline low profile filters which work well but the pre-filter was sliding off. Recently I purchased an Xray XB8EC and it comes with a really nice filter housing that I am using with the powersave filters from amainhobbies. They fit great and its a trouble free set-up.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1 on the Xray filter housing.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i found this filter sucked years ago and not just me many other ppl too
I'm one of the other people.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The air filter shown is best in onroad situations, where it is mainly foam from the tires being thrown up into the chassis. If running offroad, it is best to run a 2 stage where the foam, like stated above, overlaps the housing. As added protection, I also use an outerwears cover for 3 stage filtering. I love it so far, but still take no chances and dont wash the foams, throw them out.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

I have a little light to shed on this one for ya as well, because I had the same problem that JEracing had when i still had the backup engine in operation for my 1st generation tmaxx. I mean the same exact thing down to a T happenned. I was running up and down the straight at wide open throttle, u know just messing around for a short bit on minute, then the next the engine started acting reallly strange and like totally out of tune, even though I had just got done tuning it. On inistall off the line full throttle, "oomph", it suddenly became very boggy on the low end and would constantly die even when warm. I finally gave up and took it to a local hs, and sure enough, even though i had a completely oiled motor saver filter on the engine, somehow or another some dirt and rocks seeped past the filter element and down into the block; tore the heck outta the piston/sleeve/conrod and pin. So I called motor saver on the issue, explained to them what happened, and they wanted me to send it back to them. And they too reimbursed me as well for the parts i had to get to rebuild it. But even to this day i wont trust a motor saver either because of what happened
Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

motor savers come pre-oiled but its only very light oil.

even so, motor savers sux.

just buy a simple 2 stage filter from Thunder Tiger, they work so much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.