MOTOR KILLER FILTERS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOTOR KILLER FILTERS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I got a package from Motor Saver yesterday, was the box to ship my old filter to them in, as well as a new filter AND the outer foam and replacemnt element, I keep reading these posts and it's makin' me awfully nervous about using a MS filter again.
I looked at the filter PTP racing uses and it looks like a good setup, and I get what you guys mean by the foam not sealing in the housing and I bet that was the problem with mine.
I've also been looking at the Dynamite filter https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=DYN7628B .
Anyone use one? Know of any problems with them? Are these any good? Thanks for all your posts guys!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i just got these filter's can any one tell me if they any good
Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Im using those (Power Saver) along with Vet Wrap {you can pick this up at your local Pet Smart,Petco, etc}. I ran the VW for the first time last w/end. I ran some practice and two heats...total about 20 mins run time. Took off the VW and the outter filter was only slightly dirty, inner was snow white clean. I put new VW on, ran the third heat and a 20 min main with the same results.Im confident, now, that it can be left on longer, but being the first time, I wanted to check it out.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Savers do suck

I raced with mine and could not figure out why my motor died ,they leak around the bottom you need to put some grease to make it seal ,their instructions just say use it run it it`s preoiled ,Ahh what the heck it`s only a .12 TZ ,those are free right :flam ing:
Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i run motorsavers on my gt2 and 1\8 scale buggy , no problems so far, i mist my filter housing with wd 40 before i put the foam in and i always use a little extra oil near the base of the foam where it seals to the housing . so far so good . i probably have 5-6 gallons between the two motors.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by JEracing

And tkhoo the o rings or zip ties go on the base of the rubber tube where it seats on the carb, and on the Motor Saver filter you need on on the top and bottom of the tube, one to hold the tube to the filter housing and one to hold the tube on the carb.
Thanks JEracing.........I am using cable tie/ zip tie.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Default The Findings

Well here's what Motor Saver says. And some pictures to help show what they think the problem was.

Thank you Jeff for sending back the filter and base for evaluation. We were not able to tell where the dirt path was on the filter because the foam and the filter have been cleaned. This information is very helpful because it will show the path of the dirt as it moves to the center of the hole.

The foam seemed to be in fairly good condition. There was no major sign of degradation and the compression on the foam was still good. However, we did notice on the rubber base where it attached to the carburetor that there was a good chance that that was where the dirt came in. If you look at the picture of your rubber base (fig. 1) you can see track marks, or indentations, this can only occur when the tie strap is not seeded between both sides of the rubber rings. It appears that the tie strap was put on the second ring in from the edge as we recreated in figure 2. This could have easily accounted for the dirt sucking into the carburetor and blowing up the rubber base into the filter.

Everyone might not know that the carburetor has significant blow-by that actually shoots gases up into the rubber base, which is normal. If the dirt was coming from under the base it could follow the path into the engine and up the inside wall of the rubber base. We have found that if you attach a tie strap to the rubber base on most carburetors and tighten down tight the rubber actually bunches up (fig. 3) and can form a small air passage under the rubber base and between the rubber base and the tie strap (fig. 4). As we said before it looked like the tie strap had not been seeded between the two rings.

We have gotten away from using the traditional tie strap on the carburetor for those reasons. We developed a spring clamp that wraps completely around the rubber base evenly and when put on properly and snapped into position will actually dig into the rubber base forming a very clean and even seal around the carburetor. (See insert)

As we said in the last email, we want to know if there are any problems at our end so that we can correct them immediately. We also mentioned that we would send you $40 for your trouble so we will be sending that to you by way of registered mail, signature required.

Thank you,

Motor Saver Filters
Attached Thumbnails MOTOR KILLER FILTERS-dirty-filter-figure_1.jpg   MOTOR KILLER FILTERS-dirty-filter-figure_2.jpg   MOTOR KILLER FILTERS-dirty-filter-figure_3.jpg   MOTOR KILLER FILTERS-dirty-filter-figure_4.jpg  
Old 06-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With all the customer service horror stories you hear these days I think it’s good to see a company actually take a complaint seriously. I’m sure they easily could have just ignored it or said “well our warranty limits our liability, etc etc.”

I’ve been running motor saver for years with no problems, but I have noticed that it’s hard to get the zip tie on just right. Maybe it’s time to invest in one of their new clamps.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

O-RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Tech Initiate

LOL
Jason maybe you're onto something there. LOL
Old 06-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been using the Motorsaver clamps for the past year now... They do seem to work well. May need to invest in a few more after reading the response above...
Old 06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JEracing
LOL
Jason maybe you're onto something there. LOL
and there cheaper than the motor saver clamps!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

WOW. I have not seen this kind of tech support since the last time I had to send in a helmet for evaluation. Really awesome.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought a motor waster it ruined my classic Kanai 1 motor , gave it away with a box of stuff I was getting rid of
Old 06-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

HMMMMM seems like either you love em or hate em.....Me i love em.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.