HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I thought that this was odd to ... just for the fact that they have ran the Savage SS for how many years now ... like 10 ???? I dont get it ... I hope that they come out with something even more a$$ kickin, being they have stop the HellFIre
Old 12-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm not so sure that the Hellfire SS has been discontinued. HPI's website still lists the truck as current. I'll ask the local hobby shop (HPI dealer) if they've heard anything about it being cut.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

I guess I take that last post back... I see that the Hellfire SS is discontinued on Tower Hobies web site... Wow! I was told from a friend who works at the local hobby shop that the Hellfire SS didn't sell, so it's out. That's the first time I've seen an HPI vehicle that was so unpopular that they dropped it after only a year of being out. Hahaha, there really isn't anything wrong with the SS kit, if anything, I would say that it's HPI's fault for not hiring a team driver to race it at a pro level. I can't say that I would blame people for not wanting to buy a truck that is never seen in any of the top 10 or 20 pro level finishes at any big races.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Only the ready to run is available as far as I know. I was quite interested in the SS kit but unfortunately when I was in the market I realized it wasn't available. So...without wanting to read this entire thread...how has your Hellfire held up to the test of time?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by revo_race
Only the ready to run is available as far as I know. I was quite interested in the SS kit but unfortunately when I was in the market I realized it wasn't available. So...without wanting to read this entire thread...how has your Hellfire held up to the test of time?
The Hellfire SS has done really well. I would not recomment buying the RTR version though. You would have to spend a lot of money to upgrade to all the SS parts. The stock RTR version is apparently not very durable. If the RTR is the only thing now available, then my opinion would be as follows... You would probably be better off to spend your money on another brand of truggy that uses good parts right out of the box.

It really is a shame that they axed the SS, it's a good truggy.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 AM
40%
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadHacker
I guess I take that last post back... I see that the Hellfire SS is discontinued on Tower Hobies web site... Wow! I was told from a friend who works at the local hobby shop that the Hellfire SS didn't sell, so it's out. That's the first time I've seen an HPI vehicle that was so unpopular that they dropped it after only a year of being out. Hahaha, there really isn't anything wrong with the SS kit, if anything, I would say that it's HPI's fault for not hiring a team driver to race it at a pro level. I can't say that I would blame people for not wanting to buy a truck that is never seen in any of the top 10 or 20 pro level finishes at any big races.
Agreed. As in the rc world what wins on sunday sells on monday.Hpi should have hired pro drivers. Such a shame for a really good truck with an original design and handles well at the track
Old 01-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Cool

The Hellfire SS was not a bad first effort..But it was fundamentally flawed from the start, and It was never fully tested (I know this for A FACT ). It took more of "on road" approach to chassis stiffness..As in no flex, This led to a lot of the problems that the Hellfire's had/have. The Hellfire did get quite a few things "right" though, The large volume shocks (not large anymore..but they dont leak and they do work very good) Small spur gear drive-train, Ok..Now the problem areas..Chassis is way to stiff and this has led to quite a few problems (more RTR than SS) A few have had some issues with the radio box but the fixes were quite simple (From what I have seen it was the battery not being secure inside the box that has lead to most of the problems.) Another small problem was the way they secured the hinge pins (outer) on the A arms (another "on road" approach) I have seen the pin come out from the A arms twisting. The Truggy is a bit on the narrow and short side for most super-cross style tracks, It should work great on shorter smooth tracks..if you can get it to turn. One of the other problems that having a very stiff platform creates is you have to be a lot better on your suspension set up..most are not good at this..I really thought that HPI could have gotten this Truggy to be one of the major players, It did need some work to be one though but "if" HPI would have at least stuck with the Hellfire SS for longer than it did it could have been better than it was or is. I still like mine..It's just not as fast as my BCE Jammin....
Old 01-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

HPI=Hot Bodies: HPI=Bashing, Hot Bodies=Racing. So technically HPI did hire pro drivers, but just not to race the Hellfire, since the Hellfire isn't their race truck; the LSP is.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WheelNut
HPI=Hot Bodies: HPI=Bashing, Hot Bodies=Racing. So technically HPI did hire pro drivers, but just not to race the Hellfire, since the Hellfire isn't their race truck; the LSP is.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 PM
40%
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Found this cool vid of a hellfire ss in action. Hope those who are individuals and willing "do" keep the hellfire ss spirit alive. .

Vid
Old 07-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys,
I was thinking of trading a buggy I have for a Hellfire, but I had a question or 2 for you guys. In talking with the guy I was thinking of trading with, he says his Hellfire is an RTR, but with the SS upgrade. I looked on the HPI website and could not find an SS upgrade package. Does anyone know if this exists? Secondly, what parts separate the RTR from the SS? I would like to pick up this truggy but in reading this thread, you all seem to agree that the RTR is not a good product. Let me know. Thanks. I have pictures of the Hellfire I would be trading for, but I can't post them here because they are to large. I will send them if anyone wants to look. Awsome tread by the way.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

email me the pics. [email protected] I'll let you know.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

the Hellfire SS was discontinued months ago so you will probably find it on the discontinued cars area.

I believe some differences from the RTR and the PRO are:

lighter chassis
aluminum chassis braces
wing mount
race tires
cnc engine mount

and I can't remember others, I would watch on the diffs, I had to sell my Hellfire because there was a point where I could not finish a race in my track because of blowing the diffs.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TBR1052
Hey guys,
I was thinking of trading a buggy I have for a Hellfire, but I had a question or 2 for you guys. In talking with the guy I was thinking of trading with, he says his Hellfire is an RTR, but with the SS upgrade. I looked on the HPI website and could not find an SS upgrade package. Does anyone know if this exists? Secondly, what parts separate the RTR from the SS? I would like to pick up this truggy but in reading this thread, you all seem to agree that the RTR is not a good product. Let me know. Thanks. I have pictures of the Hellfire I would be trading for, but I can't post them here because they are to large. I will send them if anyone wants to look. Awsome tread by the way.

DONT do it....keep what ever buggy u have and look elsewhere for a truggy....this guy is Lookin to unload his crap hellfart on you....Dont DO IT.....sorry loyal HPI fans....but its true.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What buggy are you trading ? a Helffire is not the best Truggy, so I wouldnt be trading no top tier race buggy for it... But if you have a older lower end buggy then the trade would be OK i'd say...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.