HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

It isnt the ss kit i have but I have bin buying upgrades, so now my rtr hellfire is almost a ss .... But next season I buy a ss and use the rtr as spare parts.
About the carbon fiber. Its because i want to shave some weigth of the truck (and ofc. the look ).
What have you done to the diff leaks.... I have tryed to change the o-rings but it didnt helped.
And I think there is a lot of slop around the steering and the wheels. Is there any thing i can do to minimize that?
And my goal in the next season will be to end in the top3.
If you can give me any tips to beat the HN and xray truggys (is mainly thoes cars which is in use here in denmark) it will be great.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey milenko_76

did you recently buy a hellfire off a different r/c forum site???

I might be crazy
Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThomasGorski
What have you done to the diff leaks.... And I think there is a lot of slop around the steering and the wheels. Is there any thing i can do to minimize that?
There was an individual who posted earlier in the thread that Kyosho P6 O-rings work to stop that problem. Apparently they fit just a little bit tighter than the stock HPI ones.

I haven't tried them yet, so I don't know how they work, but here's the link... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4016

As for steering slop issues, the first thing I look for is slop in the servo gear train. A tiny bit of play in the gears on the servo are amplified many times by the time it gets to the wheels. Also, the bellcrank connecting arm that goes from the servo to the servo saver. I have changed this out to traxxas parts because they have tighter tolerances. Make sure there is no vertical slop in your servo saver, and that the bearings are good (shim if necessary). Also, you can coat the inside of the ball cups with CA glue to build up the material there. When you snap them back on, they'll be tight again. The only issue with this, is not to go too tight and cause binding in the steering. A couple other sorces of play are worn bushings in the ackerman arm or steering rack, whatever you like to call it... and worn axle carrier bearings.

Fixing one thing in the steering might not make much difference, but if a person goes through and makes each thing a little bit tighter, it will translate into a noticeable improvement at the wheels.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Kyosho P6 O-rings are the way to go ,.... I also use the 3.3 mm thundertiger o-rings that go in the grove half way down the out drives .... NO LEAKS at all ... this fixxed the problem hands down.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

sorry they are the 4.4 mm o-rings ... my mistake http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3260
Old 09-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

I didn't know about the 4.4mm o-rings JagMan! Thanks for another great tip!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

+1 on the Koyosho rings.....they are much better
Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 AM
Tech Adept

Ive just shipped some Bronze Servo Savers and I can tel U all Shipping will be 2 euro all over the world.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Guys, just finished the RC KAOS series race at our local track. First thing, they put on a great, well run event. If you have an opportunity to run one of their shows I would reccomend it. After round 1 of qualifying I had my SS around the 10th spot. For round 2, some idiot(me) thought the reciever battary would have enough juice for 1 more 5 minute race. Needless to say, it didn't. Although, the failsafe on my new Futuba 2.4gz system worked flawlessly. Dumb way to test it though...My time held up, and I qualified 10th, which put me 2nd in the "B" main. I ran first or second thru the entire 15 min and ended up with a bump up into the "A" main. With great pit work by my brother and some decent laps through the middle of the race, and attrition by other trucks my SS ended up 5th for the day. I couldn't be happier, I haven't raced as much as I should have this year, so that was a great result for me. At the end of the 30 min "A", the left end of the rear sway-bar pulled out of the plastic bushing causing some erratic handleling with about 4 min to go. With 10 seconds left the truck would sometimes stop, then go, then stop, put I managed to cross the line. The end of the swaybar got under the dogbone, and seriously bent it causing the drivetrain to bind up. So after a 30 min "A", a 15 min "B", a 5 min qualifier and about 4 tanks of practice, about 1 hour 20 minutes of track time for the day, I came home with a bent dogbone and a leaking rear diff. I would think the durability of the Hellfire SS isn't a question anymore.
Jagman, thanks for the o-ring tip, I think that will fix my leaking problem!!!
As far as the SS being to stiff???? I painted up my truck to resemble the Scott Taylor CORR off road Pro-2 truck. As Scott's paint supplier, I'm in and out of his shop regularly. He doesn't build his chassis to flex. It's the suspensions job to handle track conditions, that's what suspension is for. I undestand flexability is good for RC, but.....one of the reasons I like the Hellfire is because it's stiff, and lets the suspension do the work.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Cool man! Thanks for the update!

Yeah, it sounds like your truck fought a long hard battle, and survived it as well or better than any other out there.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Well, currently, I'm poised to take 3rd place in this season's points racing up here in Grande Prairie with my Hellfire, providing I make the next two races...
Old 09-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

@Madhacker
I hope the best fore U 3rd a good result.

Now something else.
I have torn about 3 sets of brake discs in the last 5 events.
Any of U have the same experiance or am I the ownly one.
I'd like to buy some differend discs but dont know whisch or where to buy.
So any input please.

thanks.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
@Madhacker
I hope the best fore U 3rd a good result.

Now something else.
I have torn about 3 sets of brake discs in the last 5 events.
Any of U have the same experiance or am I the ownly one.
I'd like to buy some differend discs but dont know whisch or where to buy.
So any input please.

thanks.

mzl Hellsavage
\Hmmmm...... My hellfire is approx. 2 years old and I am on my third set of shoes, recently new, and only my 2nd set of discs.......

Man, I would say that it has to be something in the setup..... I run a monster of a motor (RB 928) and have not had that kind of damage.... I run alittle bit of rear brake drag, but other than that, I don't know what setup would have to do with it???
Could it be that some how the discs or brakes stick, and the sudden torque impact is stripping them out???

You got me on this one...........

Last edited by Unsober1; 09-17-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: mis spellling
Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Unsober1
\Hmmmm...... My hellfire is approx. 2 years old and I am on my third set of shoes, recently new, and only my 2nd set of discs.......

Man, I would say that it has to be something in the setup..... I run a monster of a motor (RB 928) and have not had that kind of damage.... I run alittle bit of rear brake drag, but other than that, I don't know what setup would have to do with it???
Could it be that some how the discs or brakes stick, and the sudden torque impact is stripping them out???

You got me on this one...........
Yeah, I'm still on my original set of steel discs and fiberglass brake pads as well, have been racing on them all summer. I'm not sure why yours would be going like that???
Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey Guys,
Does anyone know if this MIP flywheel fits the Hellfire? I'm using the axial .28 engine and a bump box.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14664

I'm tired of the pins backing out of the stock flywheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.