Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Interesting so far Gregg, I didn't know the Hellfire kit was so cheap.

If you have no problems with it (I know the way you drive ) I might look into getting one and doing the "shoe-string ghetto truck" as Brad (Wheelnut) called it, that I did for my indoor T4
Old 04-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Well my Hellfire SS Kit came in today. In the thread I started before I found this one I stated I am planning to do a brushless lipo mod to it. But for now I am going to run it as intended with a nitro engine. Since I never owned a nitro I figured why not give it a try. So I ordered an LRP v3 2.8 for it tonight and it should be in on Monday. I have to stop back and order a Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz. I think I am going to go with the JR Digital servo they stock, it is 200+-320tq and 1.8-1.5 for speed depending on the pack you use (I think). I have a few basic Futaba servos around that I hope will be good enough for the throttle.

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread for all the great advice and setup tips. And yes I got the Hellfire because it was so cheap.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, I think it's a good entrance into Truggy racing, expecially if you're on a budget.

Let us know how the build goes!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I havent really had time this week to work on set-up. I plan on going out to the track tomorrow night and all day saturday to make minor adjustments so as to see what works best. Thanks to everyone for their imput which has given me several directions to go and hopefully resolve my steering issues. I will take notes and post what i find.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm, I just realized I said LRP 2.8 V3 and I know that’s what I said to the hobby shop. I hope they don’t make a 2.8 V3 as what I wanted is a Spec 3. Anyway assuming the guy just didn’t correct my error is saying V3 and I really have a 2.8 Spec 3 on the way, what pipe should I get for it? I totally forgot to order one so I want to hit the hobby shop after work to order one.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Anyone looking to buy a Hellfire..Lots of spare parts ($450+ in them) A lot of hop ups, Used for 2 races..I can send photos, email me your addy. Divorce forces sale. I'll give a good deal on this.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TGA78
Hmm, I just realized I said LRP 2.8 V3 and I know that’s what I said to the hobby shop. I hope they don’t make a 2.8 V3 as what I wanted is a Spec 3. Anyway assuming the guy just didn’t correct my error is saying V3 and I really have a 2.8 Spec 3 on the way, what pipe should I get for it? I totally forgot to order one so I want to hit the hobby shop after work to order one.

Thanks
Lots of guys are running the Jammin JP-3. Probably can't go too far wrong with that pipe.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

I run the Jammin JP3 and I would say at least 3/4's of the guys that i race with are running them in their buggies and truggies.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MadHacker
OK guys, so here's the update on the steering issue...

On the front... I pulled the stock 13° caster blocks and put in the 15° ones. If I understand HPI's instructions clearly, that means that I've changed the total caster from 20.5° to 25.5°. I adjusted the toe to 0°, and adjusted the camber to -3°.

On the rear... I increased the rear preload spacers from 12mm to 15mm. I've got the rear toe at the stock 3° toe in, and rear camber is -2°.

I took the truck for a run like this, and I am happy to say that the steering is much improved. I can carve a pretty tight corner now without a lot of push.

IFinishedLast... try this setup and let me know what you think!

Started with the changes above today and Whoa! What a difference. I'm not sure who's jaw dropped more...mine or one of the guys whom i race against that happened to be out for practice as well. The truck came alive today....without a doubt the best handling RC I've driven! The Engine was just right when i got on track and the Hellfire responded inkind. The vspec was making awesome power!

Everything was great until lap 6 when all power to the rear was lost. Set screw came loose and i lost the 2.5mm pin off the rear dogbone. I used locktite, but i didnt check it today before i went out....Big mistake!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Well I went to my hobby shop and order the JP3 to go with the LRP 2.8 Spec3. I also broke down and finally ordered the Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz TX, RX combo. Found out all of it including the Spec3 is backordered. But with a little luck I will have it all in 2-3 weeks or so. I still need to get a starter box, the steering servo and all the other little bits and pieces that go with owning a nitro.

Needless to say this $280 truggy is becoming a $1000 investment. Granted the TX will see a lot of other use but only with a $90 investment in an RX each time but in the end I am sure it will be worth it.

Anyway, I was going to put the truggy together this weekend but since I won’t be getting the rest of my kit anytime soon I might as well wait and learn some more from the rest of you before do the build.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by TGA78; 04-28-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think you'll be happy with the JP3...I love the thing. I think it is a good idea to wait until you have everything. I'm sure you know this but loctite everything that is metal.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IFinishedLast
Started with the changes above today and Whoa! What a difference. I'm not sure who's jaw dropped more...mine or one of the guys whom i race against that happened to be out for practice as well. The truck came alive today....without a doubt the best handling RC I've driven! The Engine was just right when i got on track and the Hellfire responded inkind. The vspec was making awesome power!
Awesome! Glad to hear that these tweaks worked for you as well!

I haven't had any issues with screws coming loose, yet... but I loctited everything really well when I put it together. Even the wheel nuts I have had no issues with (due to the serrated back side of the nut). The last set of 17mm wheel hexes I had (Ofna brand), I almost couldn't keep the darn nuts on even with loctite! LOL.

Here's a few updates. Regarding the comment I made about the diffs when building the truck... they are now smooth running (the pinion and ring gears seemed a little notchy to me when I first built the truck).

I replaced the drive shaft with the broken dog bone pin, and have had no further issues. It must have been a faulty pin, as it broke with only pavement running and virtually no jumping.

After the diffs were broken in and they were given an oil change... last check on the new oil, it was staying clean.

The shocks are good. The brakes are good. And everything else seems good... so I think it's ready to hit the track!

For diff oils... I'm currently running 7k (HPI) in the front diff, 15k (HPI) in the center, and 3k (OFNA) in the rear.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Please let us know how it handles with the 3k diff fluid in the rear. I'm changing the fluids in all the diffs this weekend and may give the 3k wt. a try.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IFinishedLast

Everything was great until lap 6 when all power to the rear was lost. Set screw came loose and i lost the 2.5mm pin off the rear dogbone. I used locktite, but i didnt check it today before i went out....Big mistake!
Use shrink wrap on the cvd so if the set screw does come lose it will not fall out..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.