R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #91
Tech Apprentice

Hey Hacker...Took my Hellfire out today to break-in the engine. Put 6 tanks thru the VSPEC today. Bench ran it for 3 tanks, easy laps for 2 tanks and started to tune it a bit on the 6th. Everything seems fine so far. I didnt push it by any means but nothing broke and everything seemed smooth. I hit a few jumps at very low power and she seemed to fly very well. I'm gonna push it more tomorrow and well see how she does.
IFinishedLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #92
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

please please please please (LOL) take a video

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFinishedLast
Hey Hacker...Took my Hellfire out today to break-in the engine. Put 6 tanks thru the VSPEC today. Bench ran it for 3 tanks, easy laps for 2 tanks and started to tune it a bit on the 6th. Everything seems fine so far. I didnt push it by any means but nothing broke and everything seemed smooth. I hit a few jumps at very low power and she seemed to fly very well. I'm gonna push it more tomorrow and well see how she does.

Havoc Schumacher 4.6cc
FireHammer 23cc
Tmaxx with HPI 21 4x4
Tmaxx 2.5
Mini LST
Skylane Cessna 182 RTF
EP Focus 400 Brushless RTF
http://www.youtube.com/benduchi
Need a Website?
http://www.virtualwebbuilder.com
Benduchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #93
Tech Apprentice

There are races going on tomorrow so hopefully someone will have a video camera. If so i will try to get some and post it.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MadHacker

Quote:
Cool man, let us know how the race goes.

I've got about 5 tanks on the new Werks B7 Pro that I dropped in (I decided to replace the Novarossi N528XSP with a real race engine). Also, I just received the new dog bone in the mail, so I pulled the one with the broken pin and replaced it.

Last edited by MadHacker; 04-22-2007 at 12:23 AM.
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #95
Tech Apprentice

Will do. I'm not 100% sure i'm gonna race it. I going to the track early tomorrow to get a few more tanks thru it and hopefully get the engine right. If so i will enter it. It was killing me not to let her loose today.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #96
Tech Elite

LOL! I know the feeling! Hahahaha! That 'ol itchy trigger finger wanting to pull full throttle to see what that new engine will do!

I can't wait for the X-Dyno test to come out in XRC on this new B7 Pro engine. The V-Spec has a bit more torque than the old B7. Would be interesting to see if the new version closes that gap any.

I don't have the X-Dyno scan of the Werks engine, but here's the VZB, and the P7R.

The older B7 tested at 1.54hp @ 59.54oz-in torque.

Eventually I want to compare the VZB, the P7R, and the B7 Pro side by side.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-os-21-vzb-p89-march-05.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-picco-p7r-p79-aug-06.jpg  

Last edited by MadHacker; 04-22-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Well, I pulled the B7 today... tore it apart to see how the breakin went. So far, so good! Here's some photos...

1. I was impressed with the husky con rod and the turbo cut crank. I believe that there's more meat here than in my .28 engines. Will have to measure the parts to be sure...

2. Nice machine work in the block. They went to a lot of trouble to make sure that things are set up for maximum efficiency with the fuel flow in the block.

3. Measuring the head button shim thickness. Werks sent me an email stating that with this deck height, the engine is optimized for 30% fuel.

4. Here's the nice turbo cut crank, also epoxy filled and ballanced.

5. Here's a photo of the turbo head button, with the shims.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-beefy-con-rod-turbo-cut-crank.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-block-machine-work.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-shims-030-inch.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-turbo-cut-crank-epoxy-filled.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-turbo-head-button-shims.jpg  

Last edited by MadHacker; 06-03-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Here's a few more photos...

1. The piston is domed on top, instead of flat, to increase compression. Also, there are two holes in the sides of the piston (not for the wrist pin). Does anyone know what these are for?

2. Here's the polished sleeve at TDC, after break-in. Looks good.

3. Exhaust port.

4. Intake port.

5. Boost ports.

After I took the photos, I took the time to polish the ports and cuts on the sleeve with the dremel and some polishing paste before re-assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-domed-piston.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-break-polishing-sleeve-tdc.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-sleeve-intake.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-sleeve-exhaust.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-april-22_07-werks-b7-pro-sleeve-boost-1.jpg  

Last edited by MadHacker; 04-22-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #99
Tech Apprentice

Well. I was able to complete breakin today and get a pretty good tune (with lots of help from the local pro). I actually entered the truggy race and got some really good laps in despite taking it somewhat easy on the engine. Hacker you called it.....142 oz was not enough at all on the steering servo. I'm not so sure 200 will be enough. I've still got some tweaking on the camber and ackerman, but i could NOT power thru corners at all. I could slide the car thru turns with brakes, but on power driving thru turns was impossible. Guess i'm about to drop another $100 on JR's 300 oz servo.

I've only done a quick visual inspection but everything seemed ok. I did have a very hard head on impact with another truck (CRT). I was fine....he broke the his right front steering dog bone. He hit me so i didnt feel so bad, but i did try to help him fix it.

The truck flys thru jumps very well and lands very stable. I'm pretty good at jumping and controling in the air (lots of practice with the LST2) but this trunk requires very little imput while in the air.

Sorry guys....Our video guy didnt show today so no videos to post.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #100
Tech Apprentice

Hey Hacker... the guy who pretty much dominated the truggy class is running a B7 pro with a Jammin JP3 pipe. He runs a LOSI Eight T and that truck was wicked fast today.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #101
Tech Elite

Just for reference... I broke the B7 Pro in on Sidewinder 20% Nitro, 16% Oil. There was a very notable increase in power output from the engine after switching to HPI 30% Nitro 14% Oil.

I've included a zip file with a spreadsheet comparing my racing buddys' Kyosho STR & Jammin CRT (modded with Kyosho diffs) gearing to that of the Hellfire. The goal will be to have the same final top speed (meaning the trucks are all geared the same) so that we can drag race them and compare engines.

The three trucks that I intend to get together for an engine comparison are as follows...

1. Kyosho STR - P7R (Belongs to - I'll Break That)
2. HPI Hellfire - B7 Pro (Belongs to - MadHacker)
3. Jammin CRT - VZB (Belongs to - DiscoDan)

I've also included an Excel spreadsheet of all the engines that XRC magazine has tested on their X-Dyno thus far (for those of you who are looking at getting a new engine and want to compare specs...).
Attached Files
File Type: zip X-dyno Data.zip (6.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: zip Kyosho STR, Hellfire, CRT Gearing.zip (5.9 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by MadHacker; 04-23-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hacker you called it.....142 oz was not enough at all on the steering servo. I'm not so sure 200 will be enough.
I noticed that the cam type servo saver is a bit soft on these trucks, you might want to keep an eye on that to see if it's maybe the servo saver thats not allowing your steering to reach full lock in a turn. We might end up having to find a stiffer spring to fit the Hellfire servo saver. I did find one at Home Depot that fits the Savage perfectly... I'll see if it will also fit the Hellfire. If it does, I'll post the stock number from Home Depot for you all.

I also have noticed that the truck tends to push in corners, rather than steering around them. I haven't been on a track yet, but I get the feeling that I almost have to drive the truck like my Savage (come into the corners hot and nail the brakes to turn) to make corners. I'll have to chat with our local factory sponsored racer (WheelNut) to see if he can make some suggestions for setup changes to help in the steering department. I have been running the truck exactly stock thus far, with none of my own adjustments.

Last edited by MadHacker; 06-03-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #103
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHacker
I noticed that the cam type servo saver is a bit soft on these trucks, you might want to keep an eye on that to see if it's maybe the servo saver thats not allowing your steering to reach full lock in a turn.

I also have noticed that the truck tends to push in corners, rather than steering around them. I haven't been on a track yet, but I get the feeling that I almost have to drive the truck like my Savage (come into the corners hot and nail the brakes to turn) to make corners. I'll have to chat with our local #1 racer to see if he can make some suggestions for setup changes to help in the steering department. I have been running the truck exactly stock thus far, with none of my own adjustments.
I'll check that tomorrow. Your description above is DEAD ON! This fits my driving style so i'm not that upset about it but none the less i want to find a way to make it better.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hey Hacker... the guy who pretty much dominated the truggy class is running a B7 pro with a Jammin JP3 pipe. He runs a LOSI Eight T and that truck was wicked fast today.
I'm pretty impressed with the B7 Pro as well. It pulls hard, and revs out good. I'm running the factory recommended pipe set. I emailed Werks and asked them how I should set up this engine for peak performance... they said to use 30% fuel, an O'Donnell OD97T plug, and the Werks 2013 pipe set.

I've attached the email for you all to see.

If any of you want to buy a B7 Pro .21... it is on sale right now at A-Main Hobbies...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12696

I think this is a real deal at this price considering the craftsmanship that goes into these engines!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Werks B7 Pro Email.txt (1.8 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by MadHacker; 04-23-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Hacker wanted me to come on here and post my tuning advice for reducing on power PLOW! The first thing to try would be to reduce front droop, or add a little bit more preload on the rear springs. You could also try more caster up front (dont change the kick-up, although a kick up adjustment will also change your caster angle). Or if your track is smooth, or if the truck has no problems on bumps you can add more rear anti squat.