R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #571
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've had the SS for over a year. The only upgrades I did were the savage diff cups with p6 o rings. I have a set of LSP gears but i haven't needed them yet. Like I have stated in earlier posts I race on pavement with mine. I haven't had any of these diff problems. I take at least 3rd or better every time out. I also own a LSP and a CRT. I like the way the hellfire drives compared to the other two. If HPI had invested a ton of money into drivers it would've been a more popular truggy. Most people buy whats winning. The people that are winning with AE and Kyosho and Losi could win with any truggy they raced. It's their skill as a driver thats winning not the truggy. The average driver out there could own the top of the line truggy and still get beat by a pro driving a bottom end truggy. People just like to say they drive what the pros drive. It's as simple as that.
milenko_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 AM   #572
Tech Fanatic

So right there about the DRIVER.

I get a kick out of ""I got what the PRO DRIVER has that makes me a winner""
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #573
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MadHacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankrupter View Post
@MadHacker Very nice thread! Ive read pages 1-15 so far and took a break do to the eye pain. It was sad to see people HPI bashing on this last page but some just don't get it.
Thanks dude. It was a great experience having people from all over the world get in on this project, and even set up a CNC milling machine to make a very limited production run of some custom parts for a few of us.

I plan on pulling out my Hellfire this spring and will likely race it at our local track again. This truck will now be 2 years old!

Last edited by MadHacker; 03-04-2009 at 10:54 PM.
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #574
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I plan on bring my hellfire back out this spring also. I now own an Losi Eight T but Im going to keep the Hellfire for the pavement racing. Maybe I'll switch back and forth week to week.
milenko_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #575
Tech Elite

Well, I pulled the ol' Hellfire SS out of storage and got her ready for battle on the track this summer.

I had used Kyosho P6 o-rings when I built the center diff, but the front and rear diffs were built using the stock HPI o-rings... it is very apparent to me that the Kyosho P6's are the way to go! The diff I built using the P6's was the only one that didn't slowly leak.

Well, the track this year is completely different than the one I raced the Hellfire SS back in '07 on. I noticed that the new generation of long chassis trucks are quite a lot more stable and easy to drive than the older shorter chassis trucks like the Hellfire. I've been hard at work messing with the setups trying to squeeze as much out of the ol' SS as I can.

For starters, the new AKA cityblock tires rock on our track compared to the stock Nubz that I was running back in '07. Well, after three races, I've got the Hellfire pretty much dialed in, and was holding second place for the first half of the race until I ran one lap too many and ran out of fuel...which quickly dropped me back to 5th place. The competition is so tight on our track this year in Truggy class that I wasn't able to make up the lost time, but, I was happy to have been able to hold my own in 2nd place against machines that are two generations newer than mine. So, the old Hellfire SS is still competetive if setup carefully and driven properly!

Next race I'll come in and pit for fuel when I'm supposed to! LOL! Will keep you all posted at how I do as the summer race season progresses. When I get time, I'll try to upload a copy of my latest setup sheet.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #576
Tech Elite

Here's a copy of my current setup sheet. The track this year is clay, dusty and a bit loose along the edges, but almost blue groove in the line. It has a medium sized table top, and several smaller jumps and bumps, with a very long straight section. The lane widths are narrower than in '07 so driving is quite a lot more technical and losing your line by even a car width or two will land you in hot water.

I found that my '07 setup was too twitchy and I was oversteering quite a lot. This current setup is more mellow. I laid down the shocks for better lateral traction and made the camber links longer to increase stability and mellow out the steering.

I find the truck quite easy to drive and it still makes the tight corners quite well. The AKA City Block tires really do make a difference. I tried HPI Nubz, as well as Proline Holeshots. The AKA's were definitely the better of the three on this year's track. I found they offered more consistant traction, especially in the corners, and great straight line acceleration.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hellfire Setup Sheet, July 12_09.PDF (402.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #577
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHacker View Post
Well, I finished my first official race of the summer today. The Hellfire took a beating as I am very rusty. It held together very well (didn't break anything, other than a lower shock mount screw falling out).

My only complaint was lack of steering :-(

I'm going to keep working on this truck to see if I can get more steering out of it. I sat it next to an Xray truggy, and they have the same amount of steering throw, but the Xray turns much better, so it's obviously a setup issue.

The adjustments that I posted earlier in this thread do help, but the truck still isn't on par with the other truggies I raced against today as far as steering (Ofna CRT, Xray XT8, Kyosho STR, etc...).
I see you run a D8T. Compare the hubs from the D8T and the HF. Notice anything? It has been pretty well established that the HF runs too much ackermann. Hot Bodies has corrected the problem. Anyone wanting more steering on the HF needs to mod the hubs or change them out. Using longer steering rods with HB type hubs will reduce the ackermann. I run Golden Horizon CNC hubs, so I cut the existing attachment point off and attached the steering rods closer to the outside. The HF will never turn as good as a
D8T, but the SS is solid (with a few mods) and is a decent club racer.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #578
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
I see you run a D8T. Compare the hubs from the D8T and the HF. Notice anything? It has been pretty well established that the HF runs too much ackermann. Hot Bodies has corrected the problem. Anyone wanting more steering on the HF needs to mod the hubs or change them out. Using longer steering rods with HB type hubs will reduce the ackermann. I run Golden Horizon CNC hubs, so I cut the existing attachment point off and attached the steering rods closer to the outside. The HF will never turn as good as a
D8T, but the SS is solid (with a few mods) and is a decent club racer.
Yup, I just recently bought a D8T kit. I had a few problems... missing parts, the front driveshaft from the C-diff to the front diff was defective (the pin on the dogbone end fell out the first run), you have to pull the whole C-diff assembly to access the C-diff for servicing... the Hellfire was a good design, but it is not a long chassis unit like all the new generation racer... which is a disadvantage in the stability department on the track. Overall, I would agree the Hellfire SS is a sturdy overall good club racer, but the D8T simply is more stable due to the new long chassis design.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #579
Tech Elite

One other comment on the D8T compared to the Hellfire SS... The D8T doesn't even come close to the Hellfire for chassis adjustment capability. No anti-dive or anti-squat, no rear toe or inboard angle adjustments, no ackerman adjustment, etc... :-( It's basically a fixed race platform, so if you don't like it, you can't change it. Basically all you can play with are shocks, diffs, front toe, and camber... that's about it!

The other thing that bugs me on the D8T is no quick access center diff... you have to pull out the whole center diff/brake assembly and then break that apart to get at the C-diff for maintenance or oil changes. Ugh.

I really wish HPI made an updated Hellfire SS kit with an extended chassis!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #580
Tech Fanatic

Hpi could have lengthing the chassis changed the braces and top plate to get it more flex. Look how many other brands now use plastic bushing to change setup. It's strange D8T and D8 are limited on adjustablity my brother has D8
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #581
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHacker View Post
One other comment on the D8T compared to the Hellfire SS... The D8T doesn't even come close to the Hellfire for chassis adjustment capability. No anti-dive or anti-squat, no rear toe or inboard angle adjustments, no ackerman adjustment, etc... :-( It's basically a fixed race platform, so if you don't like it, you can't change it. Basically all you can play with are shocks, diffs, front toe, and camber... that's about it!

The other thing that bugs me on the D8T is no quick access center diff... you have to pull out the whole center diff/brake assembly and then break that apart to get at the C-diff for maintenance or oil changes. Ugh.

I really wish HPI made an updated Hellfire SS kit with an extended chassis!
Well, I can change out a 8t center diff faster than a HF center diff. 4 screws and it's in my hand. Aftermarket parts add some adjustability. But really, did you ever notice any significant differences when you changed anti-dive, anti-squat, inboard angle, ackerman and etc?
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #582
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
Well, I can change out a 8t center diff faster than a HF center diff. 4 screws and it's in my hand. Aftermarket parts add some adjustability. But really, did you ever notice any significant differences when you changed anti-dive, anti-squat, inboard angle, ackerman and etc?
Yes.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #583
Tech Rookie

Default 2 speed diff

has anyone tried to make two speed diff work in hellfire
weekendtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #584
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtuner View Post
has anyone tried to make two speed diff work in hellfire

Not gonna happen.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #585
Tech Rookie

IM looking for a mod that has worked , not an hpi part ,
why wont it happen ?
weekendtuner is offline   Reply With Quote