Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was out at our track yesterday getting some practice time in as our first official race is likley going to be next weekend. I'm really rusty so I was crashing a lot. Missed the landing on the big 30' triple a few times as well. The truck took some pretty hard landings. After I got it home, I checked everything. I didn't break anything, but I did bend a shock shaft. The only other thing I noticed was that the rear diff seemed low on oil (running 3k). I didn't see any obvious signs of leakage, so I filled it up and we'll see what happens next run.

Oh, just so everyone knows... I did the savage diff mod on both the front and rear a few days back. I've decided that I'm just gonna run the truck with the Savage X SS alloy cups and be done with it. A lot of other guys on the track with other brands of truggies were blowing diffs as well (Kyosho for instance), so it's not just a Hellfire thing. I think with the upgraded diffs, the Hellfire will be the last truck to see blown diffs now.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Tough day at the track. 3 of the 4 trucks came home in need of repairs. One of the savages had a steering servo go up in smoke. (literally). The XXX-T has transmission issues. The Hellfire came off the track after the main squeaking badly. My first thought was a clutch bearing, but upon disassembly i found one of the flywheel pins had worked its way out and was rubbing against the face of the clutch bell. Seems to me i had read about this happening.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=MadHacker;3427733]I was out at our track yesterday getting some practice time in as our first official race is likley going to be next weekend. I'm really rusty so I was crashing a lot. Missed the landing on the big 30' triple a few times as well. The truck took some pretty hard landings. After I got it home, I checked everything. I didn't break anything, but I did bend a shock shaft. The only other thing I noticed was that the rear diff seemed low on oil (running 3k). I didn't see any obvious signs of leakage, so I filled it up and we'll see what happens next run.

Try using some gasket maker on the set screw and the screws to make a better seal on the diffs. Sometimes i use a little around the diff housing just dont get any into the gears
Old 06-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Genius;3430553]
Originally Posted by MadHacker
I was out at our track yesterday getting some practice time in as our first official race is likley going to be next weekend. I'm really rusty so I was crashing a lot. Missed the landing on the big 30' triple a few times as well. The truck took some pretty hard landings. After I got it home, I checked everything. I didn't break anything, but I did bend a shock shaft. The only other thing I noticed was that the rear diff seemed low on oil (running 3k). I didn't see any obvious signs of leakage, so I filled it up and we'll see what happens next run.

Try using some gasket maker on the set screw and the screws to make a better seal on the diffs. Sometimes i use a little around the diff housing just dont get any into the gears
I'll try to find out if oil is leaking, and if so, where from... I suspect the o-rings where the diff output shafts come out, but I really didn't see any oil anywhere on the diff... was puzzling.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

When I opened up my rear diff there was next to no oil. Im not sure where it went also. I think it might have leaked out the set screw hole. There was a slight oil stain on the plastic around that hole but that was it.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by milenko_76
When I opened up my rear diff there was next to no oil. Im not sure where it went also. I think it might have leaked out the set screw hole. There was a slight oil stain on the plastic around that hole but that was it.
thats happened to me before. The diff housing is made of plastic and sometimes the setscrew gets installed at an angle so I make sure now that the set screw is installed properly. then I use a little gasket maker to completely seal it.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Our first official race of the season is coming up this Sunday. I'll let you all know how I make out with the Hellfire!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

I had a race last weekend and had a minor setback. Just before the first qualy during the warmup laps I made a stupid move. I broke my arm and bended a shock.
I had ordered a new engine so I post a pic of it also

mzl Hellsavage
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-herschaalde-kopie-van-pic_0325.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-herschaalde-kopie-van-pic_0330.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-herschaalde-kopie-van-pic_0345.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Well I never going around to placing an order for another motor but my LRP Spec-3 came in today.

While I was at the shop I ordered a Ofna starter box, part # 10244. It uses dual 775 motors in it. Is this a good box for the money or should I change my order when I go back for some of the things I need for the build?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thats a good starter box. We sell alot of them at the hobbyshop I work at.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TGA78
Well I never going around to placing an order for another motor but my LRP Spec-3 came in today.

While I was at the shop I ordered a Ofna starter box, part # 10244. It uses dual 775 motors in it. Is this a good box for the money or should I change my order when I go back for some of the things I need for the build?
I've never used that particular box, but the version of that box with the single really big a$$ motor in it turns over my Werks B7 Pro .21 like crazy.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
I had a race last weekend and had a minor setback. Just before the first qualy during the warmup laps I made a stupid move. I broke my arm and bended a shock.
I had ordered a new engine so I post a pic of it also

mzl Hellsavage
I did exactly the same thing on exactly the same side of my Hellfire when I lawn darted the backside of the landing off our big 30 foot triple at the track when practicing. I broke the lower A arm, bent a shock shaft, bent the hinge pin, and distorted the eccentric bushing on that side as well.

I'm not sure that any other truggy would have faired any better given the same circumstances. I hit the back of the landing at full speed and came to an instant dead stop. It was a pretty nasty crash, to say the least.

I've been playing with kickup and other settings on my Hellfire trying to optimize steering while attempting to minimize twitchiness. I'll let you all know how it goes if we race tomorrow (It's been raining here).
Old 06-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Well I just placed my order for the alloy diff cases, bearings, and the P6 O rings. My plan is to break in the diff gears and the engine with the stock plastic diff housing. Then switch to the alloy ones when I pull them for the first fluid change.

I also ordered a set of XTM side guards for just under $4 shipped off eBay.

For diff oil I will be using Mugen 7, 10, 5, to start with. I am thinking 25 front 35 rear for the shocks. I am looking to order a set of springs and sway bars for the Hellfire, I just have to find them.

I am going to the hobby shop today for the oils, digital servos and another Fasst receiver for the 3PM. Oh and thread lock.

When the starter box comes in on Thursday. I will be picking up fuel, glow plugs, fuel bottle, air filter oil, after run oil, glow plug igniter, and battery packs. I would appreciate any suggestion on the above items. Engine is an LRP 2.8 Spec 3.

Am I forgetting anything? I would like to have it ready for break in next weekend.

Edit: I did forget something. I want to order some wheels and tires for the parking lot. I know I mentioned this before but I am still very unsure what to get. I really like the bead lock wheels. But do they make them for the Hellfire? I know in my random browsing I came across a set of pro like road rage 40 series tires. I assume those are for a MT if so do they make them for a truggy?

Also how is the stock SS kit clutch? Do I need to order anything clutch related to get this truck ready to roll?

Last edited by TGA78; 06-30-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: forgot somethings
Old 06-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Your plan sounds good with the diffs.

The sideguards are also a very good idea. I've been noticing that I grab the odd little pebble now and then and it always seems to get into the flywheel stopping the engine dead. Not good for con-rods.

That diff oil setup sounds pretty common for many truggies. I'm currently running 5k (associated) front, 15k (HPI) middle, and 3k (associated) rear.

With regards to the servos... make sure your steering servo can put out more than 160 oz in of torque or your truggy won't steer properly at high speed... we found that out earlier in this thread when experimenting.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Yea the local hobby shop has a JR digital servo with 300 torque and .16 speed at 6v so with a 5 cell RX pack it should work rather well, the $100 price tag huts a little though. Not sure what digital servo I will get for the throttle/break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.