R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #196
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MikeWz

The holes lined up okay for me, less the little pins on the bottom of the radio box area. I had to unscrew it from the top tray, get the nubs on the bottom into the holes on the chassis, then flex the top of the radio box to get it back on the top tray. That was really annoying and took me quite a long time to get right. Other than that, it's a great kit to build.
MikeWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #197
Tech Adept

Greg...I encountered the same issue with the mounts for the steering servo and also had to wrestle the radio box into the holes in the lower chassis. On another note...what are you guys using for a starter box?
Fast Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #198
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

well I blew the rear diff on mine. I didn't have a major crash or anything. I was blipping the throttle through a few tight turns and lost the rear end. I race mine on a parking lot track. Until this happen it was moving around the track with ease. Im running a axial .28 with a dynamite pipe. I didn't have the cash for the jp1 I wanted. I also skimped on the servo and went with a integy servo. That held up like a champ. Once I get the rear end apart And see the total damage Thats when I'll make the decision on weather to go with aluminum diff cups or not. Im leaning towards aluminum right now however.

My top deck needed a little persuading to get all the holes to line up correctly. I just got a carbon fiber one so we'll see how thats going to fit.
milenko_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #199
Tech Addict

Ordered up the diff cups. Thanks Soup for the link.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #200
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by milenko_76 View Post
well I blew the rear diff on mine. I didn't have a major crash or anything. I was blipping the throttle through a few tight turns and lost the rear end. I race mine on a parking lot track. Until this happen it was moving around the track with ease. Im running a axial .28 with a dynamite pipe. I didn't have the cash for the jp1 I wanted. I also skimped on the servo and went with a integy servo. That held up like a champ. Once I get the rear end apart And see the total damage Thats when I'll make the decision on weather to go with aluminum diff cups or not. Im leaning towards aluminum right now however.

My top deck needed a little persuading to get all the holes to line up correctly. I just got a carbon fiber one so we'll see how thats going to fit.
Integy servo's are known to help blow rear diffs in HF's ya know.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #201
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

After several weeks of looking at truggies I've just bought a Hellfire SS. I've raced nitro and electric on-road and electric off-road for several years but have been wanting to try 1/8 off-road.

I looked at the top truggy kits - Mugen MBX5T, Losi 8T and the Jammin - but for my purposes I thought the Hellfire couldn't be beat (especially with the lowered price. Mine was $400 Canadian, more than $100 off what they cost a couple of months ago). I can't understand why the Hellfire SS isn't more popular.

I've been following this thread since the beginning and it definitely played a part in my decision. I appreciate everyone here sharing their experiences with the truck.

Last edited by jon123; 06-05-2007 at 07:57 PM.
jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #202
Tech Addict

I think you'll like the kit. It was alot of fun to put together. What motor are you going to be using in it? I think the reason pople don't like it is because people don't like HPI. I work in a Hobby shop part time and I've noticed people don't like HPI. I don't know why. I think they make good cars and trucks. I feel that I can speak my mind about them. I've owned a pro2, pro3, pro4, MT1, MT2, R40, and now the Hellfire. Maybe people feel that if they spend more money on a kyosho or Jammin they are getting a better truck. The fact that Kyosho turns their back on their own cars 6 months after they are on the market doesn't seem to bother these people. Ofna doesn't do that. They have so many cars and trucks with so many interchangable parts that you can find parts that will work on their older cars. I'm not bashing either of those two companies but from what I've seen HPI provides better support for their vehichles.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #203
Tech Adept

I think most racers think of HPI as nothing more than back-yard bashers. My son and I have raced Savages for the past 2 summers and are quite competitive against the LST's and the Revo's and anything else someone puts on the track. (www.marcca.com). Part of the reason for our success is the savages are always running at the end of the 15 minute main while half the field is broken .
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #204
Tech Addict

Hey fast great link. I agree with you.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #205
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MikeWz

Wow fast, I'm jealous man. That's an awesome looking track. What's the deal with the blue log thing sticking outta the ground. That could mess up some trucks pretty bad.
MikeWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #206
Tech Adept

That blue thing is what we effectionatly call "da bomb". If you look close , you can see its a replica of a bomb. its placed there to discourage cutting the corner . Fortunatly track speed at that part of the track are fairly slow and i dont recall any one breaking anything if they should hit it.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #207
Tech Adept

Hi I am new here but can maybe contribute to the thread.
I race in europe with the hellfire using the Thad Garner setup as a basic.
with some small changes such as the Ackerman hole at the rear.
Also the shock mounting points. These are simulair to the set up in pos 118.
Accept for the front lower mounting this is in the 2nd hole.
I use a STS D30M with a 15t CB.
For the driveshaft pins I made smal plastic rings wich I pressed around the shaft. Preventing them from comming out. Always happens when it is most unwanted.
For steering I use the ACE 1015 from thunder tiger.

Keep up this thread it is becomming a real set up thread.

mzl Hellsavage
Hellsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #208
Tech Initiate

WOW!! Alot happens when you've been away for awhile!

As for the diffs blowing mine was after a pretty big crash and I really didn't take my time in running them in so.....boom!!

Melinko_76--No problem that's what we're here for!!

Mikewz--thanks for the idea I'll break out the trusty venier calipers tonight and check out the specs sheet in the manual.

Hellsavage--welcome aboard and any advice or experience with the d30m in you hellfire would be great info!!

As for the holes not lineing up on the radio box and servo mine did the same thing, but I didn't experience any other fit/finish issues on my SS kit. And man was it fun to build...I should have bought 2...one for raceing and one for bashing!
soup54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #209
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MadHacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Racing View Post
Greg...I encountered the same issue with the mounts for the steering servo and also had to wrestle the radio box into the holes in the lower chassis. On another note...what are you guys using for a starter box?
The Ofna True Start, model 10250 with the single high torque motor... really spins up the B7 Pro good!

Last edited by MadHacker; 06-08-2007 at 08:56 AM.
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #210
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MadHacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by milenko_76 View Post
well I blew the rear diff on mine. I didn't have a major crash or anything. I was blipping the throttle through a few tight turns and lost the rear end.
If you get a chance, could you take a look inside the diff cup and see if there's distortion in the plastic where the bevel gear pins sit, and let us know?
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote