R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MadHacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis
Use shrink wrap on the cvd so if the set screw does come lose it will not fall out..
Good suggestion!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #137
Tech Rookie

I remember an old photo tutorial on the HPI site for the Nitro MT that suggested using Shoe Goo or something similar to keep the set screws in place (dab it on the outside of the freshly rebuilt set screw, then let dry). Would this also work? I haven't picked up a Hellfire yet but am hoping too for the summer. It just looks too cool! And it seems like more guys are driving them.
720 spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #138
Tech Apprentice

Did the shoe-goo trick and it worked great. I pushed the truck very hard today at the local race and I'm pleased to say nothing broke. They added a new triple and several other small jumps on the track last week. I was able to take the triple almost everytime. We are talking 15 ft jumps (the jumps are new and very steep) with some very very hard landings (and end over end tumbles) and she just kept going. I had some issues with my steering but mainly due to my set-up. I'm still running the 142 oz servo and i need to upgrade it. The changes they made to the track have slowed it down and made it much more technical and needless to say harder to drive. After the first heat the clutch bell had worked its way loose, but that was the only problem i had today. The rear end was very loose today. Our track was dusty which is part of the problem i think. Any suggestions on set-up for this. my diffs are 5k in rear, 7k in front and 15k in center.
IFinishedLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #139
Tech Elite

I'm no expert, but I would probably try a little less pre-load on the rear if it feels loose. Adjusting the pre-load on my MT used to really help when I had steering or snakey back end issues. Tires can also be a big thing. The other thing I would do is compare myself to everyone else on the track... are they hooked up? If everyone was having issues, then it's probably not your setup.

Of course, if you run less pre-load on the rear it'll steal traction from the front... everthing's a compromise!

Last edited by MadHacker; 06-03-2007 at 12:36 PM.
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #140
Tech Elite

I got a chance to run my Hellfire on what's left of our track from last year up North here today. It's under construction (major track updates in process), so there's big piles of dirt everywhere, but the straight with the big table top and the rhythm sections are still intact.

The truck seems really good to drive. I took quite a few tumbles after blowing the landing on the large table top several times and the truck just kept on going... nothing broken. It seems to handle quite well. Steers OK, jumps very well (once I got the feel of this machine), and handles the rough stuff very well too.

I did have the opportunity to spar a bit on the track today with a Kyosho truggy with a P7R. From what I can see so far, I really can't say there's anything all that terrible about the Hellfire... It ran pretty comparable to the Kyosho.

I'm dying to get this thing into a race to see how it stacks up against other truggies in a real race situation... but, I will have to wait until our new track is finished being constructed.

One thing I can say, is that the Werks .21 B7 Pro engine... really doesn't like high oil content in it's fuel... it would hardly run on Traxxas 33% (I think that's got 16% oil). It ran OK on HPI 30% (14% oil), and ran really good on Sidewinder 30% (12% oil). Based on the above observations, I think I'm going to buy a jug of Werks 30% (nitro) race blend (I heard it's 10% oil) and see how that works.

Last edited by MadHacker; 06-03-2007 at 12:37 PM.
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #141
Tech Initiate

Just finished my build and ran it a few tanks with a axial 28. I think I will be putting a sts d30m in it soon, I don't race but am thinking of turning some track time and seeing how good I can drive then maybe with a lot of practice I'll start racing.
I used a jr z900t srevo for st and 7k-15k-5k diff fluid set up and seems to turn pretty good, granted I'm useing stock ss set up (15d. not 13d.)

great thread by the way, alot of good info
soup54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #142
Tech Initiate

blew the rear diff today (spider gears).

Does anyone know of a better set up?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #143
Tech Elite

Examine your diff case... and see if there is any distortion in the plastic where the spider pins slide in. If there is, you'll need to replace the diff case, and this would explain the toast spiders... if there's a change in the tolerance and one skips a tooth... that'll be the end of that diff.

I would like to know what your diff case looks like... if you don't mind examining and reporting back?

If the diff case is ok, then you could try putting Savage SS spiders in. They fit, and they've got a bit more meat on them. You can see a comparison photo of the two spiders somewhere back a page or two in this thread.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #144
Tech Initiate

I picked up a set but at home after leaveing the track (1.1 miles from home) I found the diff cup is distorted and needs to be replaced, will the savage x ss alum diff case work in the hellfire? Cause I have a doner savage about to be cut up for the transplant so I can enjoy my last day of vacation at the track.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #145
Tech Elite

LOL... OK cool! That's kind of what I suspected. I used to have that happen on my Savage all the time (the pin distorting the plastic diff case thing...). I guess that's a weakness then... we'll have to start looking for aluminum diff cases for the Hellfire! With the Savage, once I replaced the plastic diff cases with aluminum ones... no more diff explosions! I'm not sure if the Savage X SS metal diff cases will work in the Hellfire or not... you'll have to try that out and let us all know. Those newly designed Savage diff cases with the slide in pin holders and shims everywhere work pretty darn good, and are tough.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #146
Tech Initiate

how do you post picks in this forum?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #147
Tech Initiate

I'll get a wrenchin in the am, should be a quick swap. I allready have the savy halfway torn down for cleaning and the front diff should have 7k fluid in it.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #148
Tech Elite

When you post a reply, scroll down a bit and click on "manage attachments"...

Thanks for posting here! We'll be looking forward to seeing what the verdict is with regards to transplanting a Savage diff into a Hellfire...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #149
Tech Initiate

I allready tried that and it keeps on saying the files are to large
Old 05-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #150
Tech Elite

Oh, you need to compress the photos to less than 200k each... that should do it!