R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPlayer View Post
I bought a Mamba a while back and mine didn't have much pinch right out of the box. It runs pretty well, but it gets really hot. The temp it wants to run at is usually about 270-290. I'm good at tuning and have tried to bring the temp down but it bogs if I richen it on the high or low speed needle.

I also had some tuning inconsitency, So I decided to seal the whole thing; backplate, carb neck, venturi, HSN, and little set screw that holds the carb venturi in. After this the tuning was more consistent, but it still wants to run hot. It's to the point where I have to keep replacing the exhaust gaskets because the heat is destroying them. I think maybe the lack of pinch and blow-by could be the reason for the high temps.

Anyway, it does run ok, idles well and no flameouts or fouling plugs. I actually turn really fast laps with it because it it doesn't put out so much power that I'm spinning the wheels. But overall I haven't been really impressed.

Has anyone else had high running temps from their mamba? Anyone else get one with hardly any pinch?
Doesn't sound like any Axe Rossi to me. They have the most pinch of all engines I have owned, so much, they take alot of fuel to get them freed up. What your head shimming and what fuel are you using?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #92
Tech Initiate

Anybody know of any other carb that may fit a mamba? My carb has always leaked around the boot or low speed needle area. Boot is not torn,and o-rings not torn or flat spotted either!?
Axe Rossi
Hi-Tec
DougieLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #93
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Doesn't sound like any Axe Rossi to me. They have the most pinch of all engines I have owned, so much, they take alot of fuel to get them freed up. What your head shimming and what fuel are you using?
I'm using Werks 30% with the two thick shims and one thin one. I just removed the thin one as an experiment but I haven't run it yet. I also tried some Odonnel 30% but it ran worse. Mine definately never had a lot of pinch.
NPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #94
Tech Initiate

Cool run in

hi i just got a axe mamba and would loke to know the best way to run it in??? heat cycle or idle?? can you give me detals of which is best and how to do it heard it is a good mill
underthethumbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #95
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use the Wide open throttle method.

You have to heat the engine up tp 240-250

richen the hsn until it barely runs, it will run like a 2 stroke lots of smoke

use a heat gun to keeo temps around 240 while it runs

hold it WOT the shut it off right before it runs out of fuel

move the piston bottom dead center and let it cool

do this 3 times and reset the setting to stock and start to track tune

this is how i do it have had much success some people may disagree but people will use what works for them.

the key to this is to keep the engine temps up while pushing as much fuel and oil through the engine as possible. so you have your temps up which creates space between the moving parts and you have an extemely rich setting on the carb just pushing all that oil through the engine.
dubdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #96
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just broke in my new mamba with a jp-3 pipe on byrons 20%g2 fuel and it was a breeze. The thing makes crazy power after 12 tanks and is still super rich. Temped with an exergen gun it came off my 10 min main last weekend at 198. I do recomend sealing everything before you start it the first time to releave some possible headaches. Seal the carb boot, carb neck, HSN needle around the fuel nipple and back plate. The newer mambas all have the double sealed bearings with the right tollerances to make sure there are no problems. If you order one now from a main or the like you will get the new model. try this one out! its awesome for the money!
clarksib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #97
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo

Hi all, anyone here can send me the pic of Mamba piston. I know from one of my friend that Mamba piston having 2 side of the missing half circle area which most of the engine only one which facing on carb area but from my friend this Mamba exchust side also have....Pls advise. Thanks.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #98
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

sounds like there should be alot of munched alloy in that motor, i think you have broken the skirt of the piston. did he put the back plate in the wrong way up.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braz View Post
sounds like there should be alot of munched alloy in that motor, i think you have broken the skirt of the piston. did he put the back plate in the wrong way up.
Hi Braz, thanks for the reply. Yes, you are right, the skirt on the exchust of his piston are broken off when he pull the backplate off as he forgot to turn the piston up. He just broken one side of the skirt. So may I know do my friend still able to use his engine as usual?

But I have check on my other friend Mamba, his Mamba piston only have one side of the skirt only, now I am not sure Mamba have how many version for the piston.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:56 AM   #100
Tech Adept

i have used an axe rossi mamba and after about 3 gallons roughly the conrod bearing/busing went which then broke the crank pin and wrecked my piston etc. My friend has also had to of these engines one this occured at 2 gallons and the other 4 gallons so my advice to you guys is to keep and eye out and swap out the conrod every few gallon. Other than that for the price the motor was a beast.
adz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

The newer Axe Rossi's have an improved rod now. Same one when the X1 Cobra EVO was introduced. If anything, you should be able to use a Novarossi R7 rod in them.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #102
Tech Elite

Hi all the Mamba user, currently i am use one Mamba and I able to tune up her but I feel the temp is too high for me which is 127C-135C by using 25% Tornado fuel, weather around 30-33C and location is Asia.HSN ~6 turn out from close and LSN flush and I can see lot of smoke when I pull the throttle.If I richen HSN a bit and it will start running bog. Idle opening I feel it open a little bigger. If I lean up the LSN then I need to reduce the idle gap if not it will run high idling.

My question is, can I richen up HSN 1/2 turn and lean up LSN 1/4 turn to make the temp down and without bogging? Can I have your HSN and LSN setting? Thanks in advance
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #103
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i like the mamba alot, with a jp3 it is stout. on mine the topend is very good and to me the engine is smooth, and revs up pretty good. yes i would recommend it. i have been looking at the cobra...but not sure.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhoo View Post
Hi all the Mamba user, currently i am use one Mamba and I able to tune up her but I feel the temp is too high for me which is 127C-135C by using 25% Tornado fuel, weather around 30-33C and location is Asia.HSN ~6 turn out from close and LSN flush and I can see lot of smoke when I pull the throttle.If I richen HSN a bit and it will start running bog. Idle opening I feel it open a little bigger. If I lean up the LSN then I need to reduce the idle gap if not it will run high idling.

My question is, can I richen up HSN 1/2 turn and lean up LSN 1/4 turn to make the temp down and without bogging? Can I have your HSN and LSN setting? Thanks in advance
Anyone here can help? Or this engine is already out dated so topic will close?
Old 11-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

lol we still run ours, just need a front bearing.it lasted about 2 gallons.

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote