R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #61
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All motors require break-in, unless the factory is running them in right off the line, which I doubt.

I wouldn't believe your buddy at all. In fact, you should've slapped him in the head - three stooges style - as soon as the words left his mouth!

Just kidding... Kind of!

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:49 AM   #62
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Talking

all engines require break in period which houstons engine service does and also tunes the engine so when you put it in your car it is ready to race !!! no setting the bottom end , no annoying break in , it's all done by me engines tailor made to your specs , also great hand mod work (no grind n go mods) these are proven mods !!! over a dozen people in the area running my engines and love 'em novarossi based engines only (the best) pm me if interested .

by the way , careful with those axe rossi engines , the rods break pretty quick
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
all engines require break in period which houstons engine service does and also tunes the engine so when you put it in your car it is ready to race !!! no setting the bottom end , no annoying break in , it's all done by me engines tailor made to your specs , also great hand mod work (no grind n go mods) these are proven mods !!! over a dozen people in the area running my engines and love 'em novarossi based engines only (the best) pm me if interested .

by the way , careful with those axe rossi engines , the rods break pretty quick
Is it me, or does the Novarossi P5 rods fit the Cobra/Mamba and vice versa?? I saw a seller selling Axe Rossi rods for axe rossi, nova, crono, & LSK etc. engine. I might check into this and try a R7 novarossi rod in a Axe Rossi. Would be a nice upgrade IMO.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

i just order a mamba from a main i am going to be running a hongnor 2059 pipe with the engine do you guys think this will be a good match for the motor i am looking for power and fuel milage i read al the previose post and a jp3 seems to be pipe of choice and how many gallons have people been getting on these mills.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I have been running the Mamba with a JP-3 pipe and a OD99 plug. I am still running it very rich (Don't stand by it running for long as it will choke you rich) and the power and milage are both phenominal. I swapped from a Modded WS7IIx3 and the Mamba had more bottom end and seemed about the same on top. To top that off, I am currently running 9 1/2 minutes on a tank in 1/8scale buggy (MBX5r & RC8).

I did seal both the carb and backplate before I ever started though as I had heard of potential air leaks, so I am not sure if it has one or not, but I protected it anyway. As far as the tune goes, It holds a tune really well, and through a gallon and half It has never died/flamed out on me yet even during breakin.

The pinch on it is the best of any engine I have owned, I still had to pre-heat it on tank 13. According to Axe Rossi you should not run back to back tanks on it untill it has a gallon on it and I have heard that you should change the rod at a gallon and a half with the pinch being so tight it wears on the rod quick but after that it should be good.

Overall I am very impressed with the motor....
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

i have run 4 tanks threw the motor with no problems cranks and idles very good,but of course i had to heat the motor up first it has a good pinch i am going to drive some gas thru it tommorrow and probley tack it to the track and finish breaking it in but im not going to get to hard on it not until race day any way how much fuel did you guys run threw yours before race tune.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #67
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I have been running axe motors for the last 12 months and have had great results from my cobra's. I not disputing but find it hard to belive that the mamba makes more power down low as it is almost a square bore where the Cobra is a long stroke and this to me is obvious on the track especially with a truggy, also i have tried a JP1 JP2 and the axe 2050 and the and axe pipes work the best to extract the low end out of the motors
with a run in cobra/axe pipe (that is one that has had aleast 5litres through it) can run a 10 min heat but the mamba i have had trouble getting any thing more than about 7:30/8 mins out of it,
My mamba has run hot a few times(140-150C) i must admit and did lose alot of its pinch within the first 5 litres but to get the performance out of it i belive the tune was correct as i often tune by performance and smoke not so much temp, in our club alone there must be about half a dozen people running the mamba and have all experinced the same thing with pinch and fuel econ. For me the Pick of the bunch is the cobra it has insane power down low and revs extremely well on the straights, stays cooler and is a very reliable mill.
I would replace rod and bearings at 15litres and rods again at 15 litre intervals, i have repalced a few bearings in the Mambas (no more than 15 litres old) from around our club and found the bearings feel smooth but extremely loose so keep an eye on them, a new bearing can improve compression.
I have seen 2 mambas spit the front bearing and the importer replaced it straight away. the importer is really good in oz and helps out heaps.
Check out the Axe sport motor i have heard great things about this motor
It performs as good as a mamba and is cheaper.
Also i have heard of Axe cobras run upwards of 50 litres on the original piston and liner and if my oldest one is anything to go by its at the 25 litre mark and still pinchs well and will see some big meets next year
Cheers
Braz
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Does anyone know or looked at the number on their Mamba or Cobra head button? I'm talking about the number next to the glowplug seen from the top of the head. If so, post or PM me what numbers you have and if you know what shims it came with from the factory installed with that head button, as I was told this meant something and I'm trying to figure it out. The data I got seems inconsistent.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #69
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello i just got the mugen truggy and see the price of the mamba on amain hobbies do u think this engine would do good in the truggy or go with rb c6bbtHave to say i was looking at the CEO Power Mods mamba
iceman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #70
Tech Regular

Do yourself a favor and buy the Cobra, Nothing against the mamba but i have tried the mamba in my mbx5t and wasn't impressed the cobra on the other hand is much better
Cheers
Braz
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Does anyone know or looked at the number on their Mamba or Cobra head button? I'm talking about the number next to the glowplug seen from the top of the head. If so, post or PM me what numbers you have and if you know what shims it came with from the factory installed with that head button, as I was told this meant something and I'm trying to figure it out. The data I got seems inconsistent.
The Number on the head is the amount of compression that head gives a number 1 being the highest i have a number 3 on my Cobra (turbo) with .5 mm of shims. this is how the Australia importer has set them up and it works very well here.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braz View Post
The Number on the head is the amount of compression that head gives a number 1 being the highest i have a number 3 on my Cobra (turbo) with .5 mm of shims. this is how the Australia importer has set them up and it works very well here.
OK, this is odd, since the importer here states the number represents the nitro content the engine runs. Number two meaning 20% and three meaning 30%. I started to scratch my head, as only shimming will detemine this. Since I have number 3 stamped to both of my engine, I was trying to see if there was any other numbers stamped out there.

So you have .5mm shims stacked under the button? What nitro content are you running? I believe both of my engines came with two .2mm shims. It measured .42mm though on my digital calipers when when stacked.

Also, has anyone tried any other pipes on the Mamba other than the Axe 2050 pipe set? If so, have you run the 2050 and another pipe to see which is better?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
OK, this is odd, since the importer here states the number represents the nitro content the engine runs. Number two meaning 20% and three meaning 30%. I started to scratch my head, as only shimming will detemine this. Since I have number 3 stamped to both of my engine, I was trying to see if there was any other numbers stamped out there.

So you have .5mm shims stacked under the button? What nitro content are you running? I believe both of my engines came with two .2mm shims. It measured .42mm though on my digital calipers when when stacked.

Also, has anyone tried any other pipes on the Mamba other than the Axe 2050 pipe set? If so, have you run the 2050 and another pipe to see which is better?
Hahaha, this reminds me of the old RMS thing, now everyone worth their salt knows that with regards to a stereo's output RMS means, real music sound and not root mean square as the sales ppl will have u know.

Braz, correct me if i am wrong but we run 3 shims and 25% nitro.

p.s. Braz, Brad is out of Cobra Evo's and so is amainhobbies oh well might just get a standard cobra instead.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #74
Tech Regular

What the importer is saying is correct in a way as you would run a higher compression with 20% then you would 30% it just that the numbers sorter don't line up like that,eg the cobra .12 has a number 4 head this doesn't exactly mean you run 40% nitro, you now what i mean.
A jp1 pipe works good with the mamba much the same as a 2050 but i reckon theres a little more top end with 2050.
jp2 is good on a broken track.
Cheers
Braz
Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #75
Tech Elite

So on the Cobra, what shims does it come with stock? My Mamba had two .20mm shims, but the Cobra had only one .20mm shim installed (got it used and installed a new P/S set). Since I was unsure on the Cobra, I installed two .20mm shims also like the Mamba. I haven't been able to solder pinch the engines since they are all still tight and lock up close to TDC.
I have a Cobra X1 EVO upgrade coming in, so I assume shim it the same as the stock Cobra as well.