R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Has anyone tried both the JP3 and 086 pipes? I would like to see a compairson of the two pipes. Also, with the mamba being mostly bottom and midrange wouldn't a pipe like the 086 or JP2 give a better powerband on this motor.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #47
Tech Adept

I haven't tryed an 086 I have to say, although I'd think it would work quite well. Although certain pipes do certain things, it doesn't always work the way you think - Some engines just work best with certain pipes, the JP3 seems to be one of these pipes but I'd like to try an 086 aswell.
Ashalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just tried the JP-3 on the cobra.
Comparing with the EFRA2027 (people says its equal to JP2), I noticed an improvement both on bottom and top end. Awesome!!

Then, I'll install a turbo head on it.
Thunder Power, Silverback
OS Speed, Novarossi
Mister-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:46 AM   #49
A.C
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to A.C

sound good on the low end. lucky i got the jp3 too.
A.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

i just bought the mamba from a main,.... i am wondering,.. how many gallons can i run on this mill before to replace the piston and sleeve...bearing?
meon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Id suggest changing the rod after 10/15 liters.
The bearings i would only change when they start feeling scratchy.
My Cobra has run 25 liters and bearings are still good but i check them regularly.
Piston and sleeve would depend on how you look after it and if you dont overheat/abuse the engine.Basically when you loose compression or suck in dirt.

On the pipes the new Axe 2009 pipe is supposedly THE pipe to run.
I am waiting for my Cobra X and 2009 pipe to arrive and let you guys know.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #52
Tech Elite

sounds goood..

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Id suggest changing the rod after 10/15 liters.
The bearings i would only change when they start feeling scratchy.
My Cobra has run 25 liters and bearings are still good but i check them regularly.
Piston and sleeve would depend on how you look after it and if you dont overheat/abuse the engine.Basically when you loose compression or suck in dirt.

On the pipes the new Axe 2009 pipe is supposedly THE pipe to run.
I am waiting for my Cobra X and 2009 pipe to arrive and let you guys know.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #53
Tech Elite

any good news from mamba?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 AM   #54
Tech Initiate

Default my mamba

It is a great motor, fast! I love it. There where a few probs i need to address. 1) air leaks. When I 1st got my motor it ran and idled great. after a gallon of fuel it still had the compression but just not the nice crisp idiling and top end drive(small sputters). I read an article that taught me a great way to check for leaks, even while motor is in car. here's how: make sure main needle(top end) is open at least 2 turns. put a short piece of fuel tubing(6+ inches) onto the fuel nipple, hold carb wide open, cover carb with thumb and blow steadily into fuel line holding pressure. with thick soapy water and small brush swipe around carb pinch bolts, carb barrel boot, all fittings on carb and main carb throat. you'll be amazed at how many bubbles you produce. Use a light amount on 100% silicone glue.(not siliconized acrylic). my motor idled nice again and didnt lean out at top speed and sputter when high vaccum was present... 2nd issue) I just sent my motor to italy because I noticed the front bearing was protuding about a 1/16 inch. when I grabbed crankshaft the bearing did'nt have a press fit in the case, it was loose. I called A-main hobbies and they directed me to the distributor who told me Rossi got a batch of bearings that where out of tolerance. not many motors got out before they discovered this but a few did and I happen to get one. Its on its way now and ill let you know how thier customer service is. Odds are your motor wont have one of these bearings as they believe they got most motors back from thier retailers before they where sold, but check by pulling the crank shaft in and out. if bearing moves , you got one. call A-main hobbies as they are aware of this. although i was running with a loose bearing , that motor runs great! price is great too. ...
rc12ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 AM   #55
Tech Initiate

Default my mamba

sorry, posted previous message twice.

Last edited by rc12ls; 09-19-2007 at 01:43 AM. Reason: posted twice
rc12ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info. I am going to check mine today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc12ls View Post
It is a great motor, fast! I love it. There where a few probs i need to address. 1) air leaks. When I 1st got my motor it ran and idled great. after a gallon of fuel it still had the compression but just not the nice crisp idiling and top end drive(small sputters). I read an article that taught me a great way to check for leaks, even while motor is in car. here's how: make sure main needle(top end) is open at least 2 turns. put a short piece of fuel tubing(6+ inches) onto the fuel nipple, hold carb wide open, cover carb with thumb and blow steadily into fuel line holding pressure. with thick soapy water and small brush swipe around carb pinch bolts, carb barrel boot, all fittings on carb and main carb throat. you'll be amazed at how many bubbles you produce. Use a light amount on 100% silicone glue.(not siliconized acrylic). my motor idled nice again and didnt lean out at top speed and sputter when high vaccum was present... 2nd issue) I just sent my motor to italy because I noticed the front bearing was protuding about a 1/16 inch. when I grabbed crankshaft the bearing did'nt have a press fit in the case, it was loose. I called A-main hobbies and they directed me to the distributor who told me Rossi got a batch of bearings that where out of tolerance. not many motors got out before they discovered this but a few did and I happen to get one. Its on its way now and ill let you know how thier customer service is. Odds are your motor wont have one of these bearings as they believe they got most motors back from thier retailers before they where sold, but check by pulling the crank shaft in and out. if bearing moves , you got one. call A-main hobbies as they are aware of this. although i was running with a loose bearing , that motor runs great! price is great too. ...
Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi! I just bought a AXE ROSSI MAMBA, run in about 5 tanks, i ran the car perfectly well last few days, but yesteday i experiencing very bad power from the engine, could this be the plugs?? Due to the rich setting when running in the engine, i also have OS no. 5 plugs, do you think this can be use?? Are you using the Novarossi or RB no. 6 plugs?? There are so many reviews saying that this is a good mill, but im facing this terrible experience, could u help?? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah View Post
I have had a great deal of experience running the AXE Rossi engines, both the Mamba and Cobra. This is largely due to the fact that I work for the sole UK distributor in the country for AXE Rossi engines. I also myself personally run a Mamba and I have tryed alot of varying combinations with it.

Firstly the Rossi R6 plug works spot on in the Mamba, as an alternative I'd recommend the RB or Novarossi #6 plug, which is classes as a Med-Cold/Cold plug. I've never favoured running the McCoy MC-59 as it is a hot plug, and not something I'd ever really consider using in a .21+ sized engine - That said its still a glowplug and it will still work, but its not my personal recommendation. When it comes to pipes I've tryed quite a few, so far the best thing I have tryed is the Jammin JP-3, I've also ran for a few race meetings the Hong Nor/OFNA EFRA 2047 3-Chamber, this pipe gave me good bottom, good mid/good top and 8 minutes runtime on a 125 tank. The JP-3 I have less experience with, but it seems to have as much bottom/mid as the 2047 with more top end, as of yet I am unsure of fuel economy. The Hong Nor/OFNA 053 worked OK but overally was not as good as the 2047.

I am running the engine in a Mugen MBX5R, and in this platform I found that I didn't quite have enough top end and it is certainly worth mentioning that the Mamba is strongest at the bottom/mid end, with the top end maybe not being quite as good as it should. To compensate I'm running a 14t clutchbell, which IMO is useable but the bottom end is not quite as good as I would like, which is why I've just switched to 1.1 clutch springs on my Hong Nor/OFNA Long Life clutch shoes. I've yet to try this setup but I figure with the JP3 and 14t clutchbell it will be a flyer. At the end of the day you can always use a 13t on tighter tracks, with the 14t to be used on more open ones so its not the end of the world, but I'm just trying to see what works best for me and the engine in my car.
Radical Freaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Correction to my above post.
The Axe2050 is the pipe to use, the 2009 is a onroad pipe.

As for plugs run Axe 6 or Nova 6.
I have also been using Nosram 6 plugs with no problems.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobike View Post
how is the run time? and what pipe are you guys using? and what temp?
Good mileage......im using a Nova C6-S plug.......very good low end right up to top.........mate with the new SH EFRA 3 chamber pipe........im using this engine on my HN CRT truggy....................was thinking of a TURBO head conversion to have an increase in power.... anyone tried this ?? AXE MOTOR ROSSI ROCKSSSSS!!!!!
Radical Freaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:36 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo

Hi all, just want to know that I hear one of my buddy told me that this Mamba NO NEED TO BREAK IN, issit true? Tune up and good to go to track..... Pls advise. Thanks.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote