R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Input on Exceed-RC Xtreme buggy engine?

Alright, I'm trying to get this engine running for a customer (getting paid $30/hour ) and this car is a POS. It's an Exceed-RC 10th scale nitro buggy, some no name internet stuff.

I'm thinking it has an air-leak in the carb. The car will start but won't run for more than a few seconds and the needle setting seems to jump around more than a rabbit on too much caffiene. I took apart the carb and there are no seals around the fuel nipple input and the O-ring around the base of the carb looks too thin to seal properly. There are no air bubbles in the fuel lines and the pipe is clear.

Another problem seems to be that the clutch sticks constantly. This car is brand new and just sucks.

I warned the guy about buying a no-name car off the internet because part-support is non-existant. It's already cost him $30 for me to see what's wrong with it and try and tune it. It'll probebly end up costing him another $60 for the time I'm putting into this carb and I'm not charging him for the sillicon, o-rings and a new glowplug.

Should've just bought an RC10GT2 like I hold him, lol. Oh well.

Anyways, anyone else have experiance with these engines from Exceed-RC? My boss said he had the same issues with a car he's trying to get running for another customer, but hasn't yet figured it out.

-Frank
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

FrankW,
Try returning the high and low speed needles to factory settings. If the customer does not have the manual move the high speed 2.5-3 turns from seated and the low speed flush with the housing. Get the clutch fixed before trying to get the engine running, clutch problems will have you chasing a perceived engine problem when it is really the clutch. Good luck.
Larry
LClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I know how to tune model engines. I've done about 200 of them. I also know about the clutch situation. The problem is the carberator itself. It isn't sealed properly at all.

-Frank
Old 02-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

first if your are going to charge someone that kind of money and then you still come to a forum of opinions. is RAPE. you should be very disappointed in yourself. next if your bos is having the same issues, well then training is not his strong point.

no to the problem, have you checked the tank for leaks? replace all fuel lines. replace the glow plug. remove the carb and seal with high temp rtv. from what you described the tank has a leak. but if this doesn't fix it.

well i can only suggest you find a new line of work along with your boss. for a shop to charge money to a customer and not be able to fix it, is a disgrace.

sorry this is harsh, but are you kidding.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

First of all: I wasn't asking anyone advice on tuning nitro engines. I was asking for peoples opinions on the quality of the product. Read my post a little more carefully and don't jump the gun.

Second, you don't even know what you're talking about. The problems with the car were as follows: air leak in the carb, sticky bearing in the clutch, and the baffle in the muffler was generating too much pressure in the tank. All of these problems have been fixed and the car runs just fine. I notified my boss of what the problems with this car were so he can deal with the one he's working on.

A brand new car should not have had these problems. And if he had bought the car from us, we would've fixed it no charge. But since he insulted our shop and our prices, then stated "I can find cheaper cars on the internet", he deserves a piece of junk car, and it was him who agreed to my prices when he asked for me to fix it.

I'm not raping anyone and your comments are extremely offensive.

Oh and if you read my post you will have noticed that I said there were no air bubbles in the fuel line, which would indicate that there is NOT a leak in the lines or the tank.

Now, before you say something stupid again, reread my origonal and this post before you type anything.

-Frank
Old 02-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

regardless of his actions, you are still charging a customer for services you can not provide. this is not personal towards you but more of a situation of what some shops are like. this type of business is discouraging and drives people away from the sport.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBobby

regardless of his actions, you are still charging a customer for services you can not provide. this is not personal towards you but more of a situation of what some shops are like. this type of business is discouraging and drives people away from the sport.
what drives people away from the sport is when they save $20 by buying a no-name piece of junk on ebay straight from china and then expect the local hobby shop to be knowledgable about it and stock parts for it.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

FrankW,
I am new to the nitro rc hobby and i have an exceed rc 1/10 scale buggy like the one you were talking about. i had similiar problems and went to a hobbytown for help, and upon coming home i figured out the problem and now my car runs great. Here's what i did.
-set the mid-range needle to flush
-set the high end needle to 2 and 1/2 out
-then i leaned it 1/4 turn
-also my idle needle is set to 3 turns out
-put fuel into the carb, and if flooded take out glow plug and give it a few pulls.
-put everything back on and try to start it

hope this helps, if not i will be on the site ocacsionally

sincerely,
Drifter92
Drifter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Umm, is this not the electric offroad forum? I am curious why you would post a nitro question on this thread.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Yeti35,
Obviously there was a mistake in where the thread was posted but you don't have to be so rude. He made a mistake so leave it alone and move on. if you don't have any helpful advice, don't post.
Drifter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
Umm, is this not the electric offroad forum? I am curious why you would post a nitro question on this thread.
I was curious to, but then I came up w/ a solution:
Get rid of the crappy nitro engine, throw in a LRP Sphere Comp, Novak 6.5R, TrakPower 4900, and you will go twice as fast and not suck air!

Hot Bodies Racing www.hotbodiesonline.com
Tekin www.teamtekin.com
Team Checkpoint
ms3 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Last edited by Yeti35; 03-27-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: In right thread now, so this post means nothing.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
Thanks for the advice newbie.
No doubt

Hot Bodies Racing www.hotbodiesonline.com
Tekin www.teamtekin.com
Team Checkpoint
ms3 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

this is why i dont like electrice guys but anyway, if you want to know about the exceed r/c buggy

its a pos lol i had one and it sucked so much and when i ordered a part with over night shipping it took 2 weeks

it is sad when people want to save a buck and just dont know what there buying
Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBobby View Post

Ok this is one of the worst posts I have ever read.

So... someone buys a P.O.S. off the net instead of supporting the shop, and the hobby shop owner is supposed to pay his employee's to fix it for free? Yeah right... no one would be in business by your thinking. I forgot, also according to you, if you would at a hobby shop that should automatically make you god and you should never have to ever ask anyone anything. Snap your fingers and its fixed. Get a clue.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote