R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Losi 8ight Best clutch set up ?

Just wondering if everyone is sticking with the Losi 4 shoe stock clutch set up or has anyone gone to a more reliable 3 shoe clutch ? If anybody has switched to a 3 shoe clutch, be specific ( what flywheel, clutchbell, any extra shims needed ?).
Sirio ExTech
Pro Match Racing
Ramirez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I don't know why anyone would even consider running anything but a Werx. They work so well and they're so adjustable so quickly and the shoes last for gallons and they're only $15 a set.

They work just fine in an "8"...just did one. We didn't even bother with the stocker.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Put the King Headz 7075 shoes in. Last a very long time, (4x longer then the stock shoes) Engage great. Basically one word "AWESOME"

http://www.kingheadz.com/

I like to replace the bearings after each race though. There only a buck a piece. Cheap insurance...

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I don't know why anyone would even consider running anything but a Werx. They work so well and they're so adjustable so quickly and the shoes last for gallons and they're only $15 a set.

They work just fine in an "8"...just did one. We didn't even bother with the stocker.
Any issues with the Werx flywheel being too large for the opening int he chassis?

Ive been interesed in the werk clutch, but put off by the fact that Losi pretty much designed the chassis around their own flywheel
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire
Any issues with the Werx flywheel being too large for the opening int he chassis?

Ive been interesed in the werk clutch, but put off by the fact that Losi pretty much designed the chassis around their own flywheel
None that I've noticed. Not a bit of trouble with it.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
None that I've noticed. Not a bit of trouble with it.

Thanks Joe, What shoe matterial are you guys liking?

And lastly, did the Losi clutch bell work with the werx?

Last edited by FlyByWire; 12-31-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't why anybody would run anything but the stock clutch?? Its the best clutch out there, PERIOD! Just slap some KH 7075 shoes on there and your set. I have over 4 hours track time on these shoes and they are barely worn, barely "shroomed" over on the edges.

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
Tech Elite

I am running the Gold springs on the aluminum shoes and the black springs for the plastic shoes. I have almost a gallon on the shoes and the bearings. I have cleaned and de-burred the shoes now twice. Looks good so far.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks Joe, What shoe matterial are you guys liking?

And lastly, did the Losi clutch bell work with the werx?
We all run the carbon shoes and the gold springs...I think our little group(4 of us) has 5-6 of them out there in buggies and truggies, all carbon and all gold and I don't think one of us has replaced a set of shoes yet. I got the first one last spring and the other guys have been getting them one after another...they're awesome. I know I have 3 gallons on that one and they're not worn much all all...and they're $16.99 . Even the clutch bearings last forever now...I've had the same bearings on the thing for the same 3 gallons...LOL...nice and smooth.

The Losi bell works awesome with it. It likes up perfectly. The only issue I had on the Losi with it all was concerning the case of the motor, a new Sirio STi, and it wasn't a big deal. The case is really thick between the carb and front bearing and the flange on the Werx flywheel would touch...I had to add a spacer behind the collet and a then shim it on the other end to get the endplay right. It was really a Sirio issue, not a Losi issue.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
I don't why anybody would run anything but the stock clutch?? Its the best clutch out there, PERIOD! Just slap some KH 7075 shoes on there and your set. I have over 4 hours track time on these shoes and they are barely worn, barely "shroomed" over on the edges.

Are you running all 4 of the KH alum's? Or still the 2/2 setup?

I do like the way the losi clutch hits.. I just hate the wear issues.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Are you running all 4 of the KH alum's? Or still the 2/2 setup?

I do like the way the losi clutch hits.. I just hate the wear issues.
All 4 KH shoes with 2 gold springs and 2 green springs. Hits nice and smooth with my V Spec. I'm VERY HAPPY with that setup!!! I Can see getting 2+ gallons on a set of shoes easy!

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is there any extra shimming needed to run the werks clutch on the 8ight. I've been running werks on my stuff for a while and I keep having problems with the collet eating into the flywheel.
Ghost06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost06
Is there any extra shimming needed to run the werks clutch on the 8ight. I've been running werks on my stuff for a while and I keep having problems with the collet eating into the flywheel.
Like I said above, not for the "8", but in our case for the Sirio. I just had to add the shim behind the collet to clear the case of the motor, so then I had ot add shims up front to get endplay.

Other than that, it lines up perfectly. You have ot use some funny stuff with a shorter (non-Losi) clutchbell, but as long as you stick with the stock bell,you're good to go.

For your deal, I would... a) use a different collet and... b) make sure the clutch nut is plenty tight. That's not really a Werx problem as much a a collet problem. Once you have is slip bad, you're gonna have a hard time ever getting it to stay tight, because the hole in the flywheel will be chewed up.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Specifically, what model of the Wekrs clutch are you running on your 8ight? Also, will it work with the stock kit motor mounts? I was thinking of using it on my MR Ninja powered 8ight (Novarossi based engine). Thanks
spinall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Do they have different ones? This is the one we all use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinall4
Specifically, what model of the Wekrs clutch are you running on your 8ight? Also, will it work with the stock kit motor mounts? I was thinking of using it on my MR Ninja powered 8ight (Novarossi based engine). Thanks