R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #1321
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimey131 View Post
I just started building my Matrix TR FRE and I was wonder which shock ends you guys recomend. the manual says to use the short ones so for now thats what I will use. Any input on this would be great and what will using the either the short or long end change in my set up. thanks guys
Also, use the long ones on the rear, they will give more down travel.

Colin
Old 05-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #1322
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think the new kits have solved the dogbone popping out by using shorter arms.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #1323
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I just picked up a new OFNA truggy starter box for the TR yesterday and when I tried to set it up for the TR I noticed that the flywheel will not make contact with the starters wheel as the engine sits to high.My TR is the RTR version and it has a couple of shims between the motor and the actual mount for backplate to chassis clearance.What would be a better solution between grinding down my chassis so the backplate will sit down into the cut so I could remove the shims or buy a different backplate to remove the pullstarter to lower the engine?Will the LRP Spec 3 truggy backplate fit the SH .28?
HWYSHREDDER78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #1324
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I always chamfer the sides of the flywheel slot on the chassis to help give a little more room for missalignment if starter wheel. Just putting a 45 Deg. angle on the left and right sideof the slot it will make a big differance.
sweepracingusa.com
smc-racing.net
fuzz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #1325
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think you will need to remove the pullstart and install a different backplate, possibly new motor mounts, this has been discussed here before.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #1326
Tech Apprentice

Fuzz- I'm pretty sure you will have to get a backplate for the engine in order for the starter box to work. I have the RTR version, and I got the sportwerks backplate, and it fit perfectly on the SH engine. on amain hobbies, search for backplate, and the first one--I believe--is the right one. It should cost $11.99. With the backplate, you will be able to lower the engine off the spacers, and have the flywheel be able to touch the wheel. Unless you want to do some serious dremeling to the chassis, this is the easiest fix.
chrobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #1327
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Talking

Thanks for the help guys,I will pickup the Sportwerks backplate.
HWYSHREDDER78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #1328
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree

I have a TR Arena FRE and I am using Kyosho universals. I am considering purchasing a BCE chassis. My question is, can I still use the Kyosho universals or do I have to go back to using the stock dog bones? Thanks.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #1329
Tech Regular

Default installing a backplate CEN SH .28

I am installing a back plate on a Cen SH .28 to elliminate the pull start. There is not enough clearance, so I am going to have to dremel the crankshaft. It seems to be imposible to slide the connecting rod off of the crank (I have removed the sleeve). I don't think I should have to remove the piston? Has anyone had this problem and could you please offer some advice?

Thank you
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #1330
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILDRVR View Post
I am installing a back plate on a Cen SH .28 to elliminate the pull start. There is not enough clearance, so I am going to have to dremel the crankshaft. It seems to be imposible to slide the connecting rod off of the crank (I have removed the sleeve). I don't think I should have to remove the piston? Has anyone had this problem and could you please offer some advice?

Thank you
If you can hear a 'grinding' noise when you cycle the piston after putting the sportwerks backplate on, it is most likely to be the 'nub' at the back of the crankshaft hitting the groove or channel on the backplate (i had this happen on two of the backplates). The nub was used previously to 'grab' the slot on the old backplate when using a pull or rotostart system.

Solution is to either
a) slightly dremel the channel on the backplate where it is grabbing (you will see the point this is as the channel will be scratched). Be patient and do small amounts at at time then check clearance by refitting backplate.
b) remove the crankshaft and dremel the nub.

Option a) is easier though a little more time consuming. Whichever one you choose, make sure you flush the dremeled area with a little fuel before each refitting to remove any metal particles.
TRArena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #1331
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I have a TR Arena FRE and I am using Kyosho universals. I am considering purchasing a BCE chassis. My question is, can I still use the Kyosho universals or do I have to go back to using the stock dog bones? Thanks.
on the centre front you can continue to use the Kyosho universal (that's the rear one from the MP777 buggy) if you use a .8mm shim between the universal and the diff housing. You can also use the CEN buggy rear universal.

if you have been using the 138mm ST-RR universal on the centre rear unfortunately it's just too long. i had them as well so tried to make it work with my BCE chassis by dremeling 1mm off the shaft of an old hot bodies pinion gear i had (the one you will need for the small gear conversion) and it kinda worked but in the end I have gone back to the dogbone on the rear for now and the CEN buggy rear univesal on the front.

the good news tho is that CEN will have their new lightened 7075T6 ali universals available to us plebs in a couple of weeks for around USD$35 and i have been assured that they will fit the BCE chassis conversion

Last edited by TRArena; 05-03-2008 at 10:45 PM.
TRArena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #1332
Tech Regular

b) remove the crankshaft and dremel the nub.

Thanks, that is exactly what I am attempting to do, but I can not get the crank out. It seams impossible to disconect the rod from the "nub." Can this be done without disconecting the actual piston from the rod?

Thank you
Old 05-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #1333
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

First remove the piston sleeve .
Then with the piston/rod at the top of the stoke it should slide off the crank.

JW91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:33 AM   #1334
Tech Regular

That is exactly what I have done, it just seams like the "nub" is too long? Anything else I can try? I thought it would just slide off?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #1335
Tech Apprentice

You could get the sportwerks backplate for the SH engine. It's the backplate that I bought, and it's only $11.99 at amain. It already has "dips" on the corners, so no dremeling is required. It fits perfectly, and I didn't mod anything.
chrobar is offline   Reply With Quote