R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #1021
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

does your truck role freely in all places?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #1022
Tech Initiate

I have checked that the truck rolls freely and it does. It's something that I do every time i take the engine out or make any adjustments that mean moving the engine.

I put my original fuel line back on there and it ran pretty much straight away. It was running very rich, and as I leaned it out, it got more snappy and there was still a good plume of blue smoke. I killed, put the new fuel line back on there and it kept dying. I put the original fuel line back on there and it is doing the same thing again. I will have to set the engine back to factory and then go from there again.

I know the high speed needle can be tuned to both temperature and the amount of blue smoke (lots=rich, little/none=lean) but how do we tune the low speed needle?

I am still thinking that i have too much fuel line in there, or its inner diameter isn't big enough to hold the fuel that it needs. Is there a maximum to the length of fuel line between the tank and carby, or between the tank and the exhaust?

Jase
Thorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #1023
Tech Master

for get the amount of smoke that doesnt really matter yet
get the truck the way you like it and were it can run and then check the temps and let me know what they are

also have you tried putting a brand new plug in there?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #1024
Tech Initiate

Robert, its running on a brand new plug, yes.

I'll get out the temp gauge. Will celcius do or do you need Faranheit?

Jase
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #1025
Tech Master

Faranhiet and make sure you get the truck the way you like it and where it wont flame and then run another 10 min on it and kepp temping it to see where it starts and what it is at the end
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #1026
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Hull View Post
Faranhiet and make sure you get the truck the way you like it and where it wont flame and then run another 10 min on it and kepp temping it to see where it starts and what it is at the end
Hey Rob i have a .18 and it'ts running about 520, i should be good right.
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #1027
Tech Master

yea lean it out some: ha:
Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #1028
Tech Initiate

Robert,

Its running at 148C, which is just on 300F. I have a feeling thats a little bit high. from still if I full throttle it pauses a little, its not really snappy. after make 1/4-1/2 a second, stacks of blue smoke and it takes off like a cat on fire. Plenty of blue smoke when its running. I think I need to lean it out a little (not sure if its high speed or low speed needle i have to adjust to stop it "pausing") to make it snappy when I am heavy on the power from stationary.

Some advise? As always you guys are really helpful. Especially you robert, for all the help you've given me on this.

Jase
Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #1029
Tech Master

well 300 a bit to hot you wanna keep it at about 225-250F it pauses on bottom end??? if so richin up the top end 2 hours and lean the bottom 1
are you sure the clutch springs and shoes are not hanging up or anything cause that can solve your problem if they are?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #1030
Tech Master

thorin-i read your problem one more time to make sure i was understanding it and you said you replaced it with a 15 tooth witch will also make it slugish on the bottom
what bell were you running before (amount of teeth)??
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #1031
Tech Initiate

Robert,

The clutch shoes that are in there at the moment have done 2 tanks of fuel, and i trimmed them up before i put them back in. I used to be running a 14T, now the 15T. The issue is not that its "sluggish", it is more of a hesitation between squeezing the trigger and it taking off. Its not a lack of torque as a result of the 15T, or a lack of bottom end, its just a slight pause before it takes off.

I thought 300F was a little high. I have been told by my LHS, and it could be incorrect information, the richer the engine is running, the more smoke. When it goes from stand still, and I throttle on, there is a stack of smoke, and still plenty when i am running. I know you said not to worry about the smoke, I am just trying to get the info straight.

Jase
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #1032
Tech Master

when you pull the trigger theres nothing for a second??? if so check your throtle linkage

and yes the richer the more smoke but at 300 enless your temp gun is way off thats not right even if you have smoke

is there a way you can take a clear pic of the truck as if you were looking down at it? and post it if so
Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #1033
Tech Initiate

Robert,

Just to clairfy, where exactly am i temping. I have richened it almost 1/2 a turn on the high, and almost 1/4 on the low, and its still 280ish. I am aiming the temp gauge right at the top of the glow plug, so actually down thru the middle of the heatsink. I am getting about 230f when i aim it at the top fins of the heatsink.

http://www.prizmtech.com.au/images/tr.jpg

Thats my truggy. Excuse the mess, It was clean but i've run a few tanks thru it since.

So what exactly am I measuring. The heatsink, the glowplug, the block?

With the throttle thing, I'm obviously not explaining that well. the engine is reving, and the clutch is engaging, maybe its slipping a little, I am not sure. I think once the tune is right, it will go away.

Jase
Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #1034
Tech Initiate

I just wanted to bring up the manucaturer settings for the high speed and low speed needles. The high speed needle is set to 2 3/4 turns, that seems a little high, but fairly standard. The low speed however isn't done quite that way. The low speed is adjusted so that it is flush with the edge of the carb, and then screwed in 1.5 turns. This actually means that its somewhere between 2-3 turns out. To me that seems to be far too rich. At idle I am getting unburnt fuel spitting out of the exhaust.

I've been reading a little further in the manual, re-reading, and it says that if it doesn't accelerate rapidly, then its running too rich.

I am going thru a full tank in about 5-7 minutes, and although its a .30, that still seems high.

Just a thought..

Jase
Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #1035
Tech Master

from what i can see in the pic things look ok........but you might wanna snip 2 ends of plastic of your throttle servo horn that are vacant

what clutch springs are you running?? and what clutch springs were you running?

sorry for all the questions im just trying to narrow this down